You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rebuild/Shake Up Summer 2023

Paul

Our forwards need to be flexible in what side they play,or even central. Being one dimensional is a skillset that wont give you a long stay in a Klopp team. Our forwards could absorb a Firmino loss,probably one other too. But our terrible injury record among them almost guarantees an injury crisis as soon as we trim their numbers.

I wonder if part of our problem has been Jurgens loyalty to his players and FSG obviously.Pep does not seem to have that problem he lets players go when he feels they are done we seem to offer new contracts every week just seen on twitter yes I know but we are offering Curtis Jones another year to prove himself 

27 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

There’s some fucked up thinking going on by people thinking Queef can replace Ali. 

We’d concede at least 10-15 more goals in the league. 

Worst thing we could do to Kelleher as well.  He’d be hammered for not being amongst the best in the world.

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

There’s some fucked up thinking going on by people thinking Queef can replace Ali. 

We’d concede at least 10-15 more goals in the league. 

He's played 20 competitive games for us.  Its far too early to say how good he actually is. 

Ideally I'd loan him out next season. You can't even begin to judge him until he's playing week in week out. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Paul said:

That makes quite a lot of sense. However, I think you have to factor in his wages. I reckon he must be on £140k a week as an absolute minimum and that just seems ridiculous for a player who won’t be first choice in a squad that is being rebuilt with new players who need to play if they are to develop.

Klopp’s track record for developing world class forwards is ridiculous (and almost never recognised in the one dimensional assessments of his skill set: “run fast, press hard”). I think there are good grounds for thinking he can do the same with Diaz, Núñez and Gakpo. However, they’ll need to play for that to happen - and in a squad that still contains Jota and Salah where we line up with three forwards. 

So I guess the question is about how much we can afford to pay him to prevent his wages impinging on others, and how much of a cut he’s prepared to take for a new deal.

If the terms work for both parties, then great. 

I don't see the wages as an issue, if we have 6 forwards costing £1m per week then what should it matter to us what way that's distributed?

Would we prefer Bellingham plus some bargain basement wheeling and dealing or 3-4 players of the £30m-£40m variety plus some bargain bin shite? Feel is like we need to do all the above but just can’t see it. I don’t imagine FSG fancy getting some unfavourable financing in place of the investment given it will weaken their hand in seeking further investment.

31 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Would we prefer Bellingham plus some bargain basement wheeling and dealing or 3-4 players of the £30m-£40m variety plus some bargain bin shite? Feel is like we need to do all the above but just can’t see it. I don’t imagine FSG fancy getting some unfavourable financing in place of the investment given it will weaken their hand in seeking further investment.

3 or 4 £30-40m players might help us improve, but they’re unlikely to see us compete on the same level as the Manchester & London clubs. If well scouted they’ll put us in a strong position for the fourth / fifth place title for a couple of seasons though. 

It’s easy to forget that we didn’t become true contenders until we signed the likes of Van Dijk and Allison for huge money.

I want us to buy the absolute best players we can. We need three starting eleven players. In order of priority for me: 

- box to box midfielder (Henderson replacement)

- a defensive midfielder (Fabinho replacement)

- a right sided centre back (partner for Van Dijk)

Given our budget, the other clubs in for him, and our small chance of Champions League football next season, I’m presuming we aren’t getting Bellingham. So, get the next best player in centre mid. Then get the best option we can get for defensive midfielder, then the best option at centre back. 

I’m convinced if we got three excellent, durable players in those three positions we’d be challenging for the league next year.

Given the size of the Academy squad and staff we should be having a couple of promising defenders, midfielders and strikers getting closer and closer each year, and that translating into a few decent sales and at least a couple being added to the first team squad. At present that's not quite there, and it needs to be for this kind of club to work. I'm a big fan of Inglethorpe, but lots of those beneath him need to up their game. With owners like FSG, you just can't refresh the squad purely via signings, you also have to supplement that with some players coming up through the ranks. Hopefully a couple of our loanees will return to help in the summer, but it's a very delicate balance.

16 hours ago, Baltar said:

I'd sell Jota this summer. Way too injury prone. I'd rather keep Bobby if I'm honest. On his day, Bobby is levels above Jota at his best.

Definite sells for me this summer:

Jota

Ox

Keita

Adrian

Philipps

Next season might have to be the last for Fabinho, Milner, Matip, and even Thiago, whom I love as a player but with his fitness problems, is becoming a liability. 

Forgot to add Jones to the list. He's gone backwards and is another one with fitness problems. I was especially annoyed when he posted pictures on social media while he was out on the town with his bird surrounded by heavies, as if it was Jay-Z and Beyonce. Don't need an ego like that thinking he's already made it when he's in fact achieved nothing at the club.

13 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Forgot to add Jones to the list. He's gone backwards and is another one with fitness problems. I was especially annoyed when he posted pictures on social media while he was out on the town with his bird surrounded by heavies, as if it was Jay-Z and Beyonce. Don't need an ego like that thinking he's already made it when he's in fact achieved nothing at the club.

Bobby is 32 in October and has become injury prone too, Jota will be going nowhere in my opinion. 3 of your sell’s will be going for nothing. Never really noticed Jones online, too busy dodging Chamberlain.

9 hours ago, Paul said:

That makes quite a lot of sense. However, I think you have to factor in his wages. I reckon he must be on £140k a week as an absolute minimum and that just seems ridiculous for a player who won’t be first choice in a squad that is being rebuilt with new players who need to play if they are to develop.

Klopp’s track record for developing world class forwards is ridiculous (and almost never recognised in the one dimensional assessments of his skill set: “run fast, press hard”). I think there are good grounds for thinking he can do the same with Diaz, Núñez and Gakpo. However, they’ll need to play for that to happen - and in a squad that still contains Jota and Salah where we line up with three forwards. 

So I guess the question is about how much we can afford to pay him to prevent his wages impinging on others, and how much of a cut he’s prepared to take for a new deal.

If the terms work for both parties, then great. 

Yeah, that all stands providing he takes a wage cut or it's a rolling 1 year deal. You obviously don't want an expensive ageing player with a contract that has multiple years on it.

Klopp’s press conference was as reassuringly measured as you’d expect from him on this issue, I think. Reading between the lines, I think it’s pretty certain that his approach will be in line with what we’ve always seen from him: give time to players for development and/or rehabilitation.

He was pretty unequivocal about the need for new players and the links to the same three names in midfield won’t go away. What’s more interesting to me are his intentions with other areas of the team - especially centre half - as if he doesn’t make space for new first team players I don’t see the point in signing them. 

I’m inferring that outgoings will be limited to only the most obvious (Ox, Keita, Big Nat, etc) with any others dependent on players asking to go (Kweev) or not agreeing new extensions (Bobby, Milner).

That suggests to me that the strategy will be two or three senior players for midfield and then any other signings will be either very young players like Doak with the possibility of reaching the periphery of the squad or slightly older ones like Carvalho who are in their late teens but have had some first team football at a lower level. 

From my original list in this thread, I’d say that Matip and Fabinho are going nowhere (not a surprising suggestion, I know) and that any new blood at centre half will be an 18/19 year old. 

I agree in general with Klopp’s comments about players needing time, and a good summer off followed by a focused pre-season will really help the majority of our squad. I just hope that there’s still room for a little bit of a shake up. I don’t think it hurts anyone to see at least one surprising outgoing and it stops everyone getting too comfortable. 

Not that complacency has been a factor in terms of the players this season, in my view, but I’d still like them to be kept on their toes a little with a player or two leaving when they were expected to stay. Don’t think that’s Klopp’s style though and you have to respect that as his track record is pretty unimpeachable. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Klopp’s press conference was as reassuringly measured as you’d expect from him on this issue, I think. Reading between the lines, I think it’s pretty certain that his approach will be in line with what we’ve always seen from him: give time to players for development and/or rehabilitation.

He was pretty unequivocal about the need for new players and the links to the same three names in midfield won’t go away. What’s more interesting to me are his intentions with other areas of the team - especially centre half - as if he doesn’t make space for new first team players I don’t see the point in signing them. 

I’m inferring that outgoings will be limited to only the most obvious (Ox, Keita, Big Nat, etc) with any others dependent on players asking to go (Kweev) or not agreeing new extensions (Bobby, Milner).

That suggests to me that the strategy will be two or three senior players for midfield and then any other signings will be either very young players like Doak with the possibility of reaching the periphery of the squad or slightly older ones like Carvalho who are in their late teens but have had some first team football at a lower level. 

From my original list in this thread, I’d say that Matip and Fabinho are going nowhere (not a surprising suggestion, I know) and that any new blood at centre half will be an 18/19 year old. 

I agree in general with Klopp’s comments about players needing time, and a good summer off followed by a focused pre-season will really help the majority of our squad. I just hope that there’s still room for a little bit of a shake up. I don’t think it hurts anyone to see at least one surprising outgoing and it stops everyone getting too comfortable. 

Not that complacency has been a factor in terms of the players this season, in my view, but I’d still like them to be kept on their toes a little with a player or two leaving when they were expected to stay. Don’t think that’s Klopp’s style though and you have to respect that as his track record is pretty unimpeachable. 

Complacency is very hard to identify among all the other goings on. It may well be a subconscious thing but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some in there. These players have been called the best keeper in the world, best right back, right up to best player (Mo) over the last few years.  What I think is noticeable already is the front 3 looked sharper as soon as Jota and Bobby appeared back in the picture. Those 5 are walking into to the training pitch thinking they need to impress to play. I'm not sure too many other senior players have the same feeling on a Monday morning. 

• Upvote 1

The biggest factor, of course, is how much Klopp will have to spend. The only players bringing in significant money are Salah and Ali and I'm pretty sure neither of those will be leaving, unless an offer we simply can't refuse comes in for Mo.

Klopp will have to focus his resources on the area most in need, midfield.  So unless we have a surplus of transfers funds he shouldn't consider letting players leave unless they are going to bring in enough money to replace them adequately.

There will be no "war chest".

2 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

I  hope FSG are as ready for this big rebuild as we are.

Of course they aren't.  They wouldn't have been whoring the club around for investment if they were willing to loosen the purse strings.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Queev hasn't been put under pressure during a game where he makes a massive gaffe as Alisson has many times. Alisson doesnt let it affect him but maybe Queev would? Who knows?

Looks pretty cool to me from admittedly small number of appearances, I'd be worried that Ali might want to try pastures new and leave us searching for a decent replacement having lost a potential ready made one