You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Fuck it - may as well move the conversation to a new thread!

I don't think it can be overstated just how important this window is for our football club - I'd say it is an absolutely pivotal one and the most important in many a year.

As I write this we of course do not know if we go into this window as a Champions League team or not and although for me it should not matter either way, I think it inevitably will - owners cutting budgets/players not wanting to come if we aren't in it and us paying over odds for lesser players....

If it ends up as looks likely at present we are not in it, the club will hopefully act like a big club, an ambitous club and a club who believe they are going places and the absence from the 'top table' is a very temporary one.

We all know the area of the squad that need attention the most - surely this is the window where we finally do what needs to be done...

Personally i'd like to see a centre half too - the long term partner for Konate in coming years - there isn't all that many miles left on the clocks of VVD and Matip, Gomez is a shadow of the player he looked like he would become and across the centre half options injuries seem to be becoming more and more frequent - it needs strengthening in my opinion and the succession planning in place.

The other shout I am making now (I appreciate it will be unpopular with many and maybe controversial) is that I believe Salah will leave in this window.

So here we go - The Summer '23 Transfer Thread.......

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I still reckon we'll sign Bellingham.

Where do you stand on of it ends up  just him?

For me if we do all our budget on him it won't sort us out fully.

If he is 100m and we only have 100m to spend i would actually rather we bought two 50m midfielders.

Him and at least one other (ideally two IMO) midfielders is what we really need and hopefully get....the profiles of them are well documented.

9 minutes ago, an tha said:

If he is 100m and we only have 100m to spend i would actually rather we bought two 50m midfielders.

Him and at least one other (ideally two IMO) midfielders is what we really need and hopefully get....the profiles of them are well documented.

I'd rather spend £100m on Bellingham which is as close to a cert quality wise as we'll get than £50m each on two.  We fucked up last time spending that amount on shite in Ox and Keita.

Saying that I doubt we'll even get Bellingham. We probably won't even attempt to when Dortmund tell us the price.

6 minutes ago, J-V said:

I'd rather spend £100m on Bellingham which is as close to a cert quality wise as we'll get than £50m each on two.  We fucked up last time spending that amount on shite in Ox and Keita.

Saying that I doubt we'll even get Bellingham. We probably won't even attempt to when Dortmund tell us the price.

The thought that we paid nigh on 100m for those two makes me shudder.

21 minutes ago, an tha said:

Ordinarily, I'd say if we blow a summer's budget on just him we're insane. I think it'll be him and A N Other though, probably Nunes if the pre-agreed fee is true.

If the choice was just Bellingham or two mids, a while ago I'd have favoured the latter. But our scouts seem to have gone awol, and we've spent £100m on two forwards who don't appear to improve us much, so right now I think I'd go for just Bellingham. 

We need first and foremost a Director of Football and to rekindle an effective plan.

Everyone would say on the aggregate, you should be stronger with Darwin, Diaz and Gakpo, than with Mané, Minamino and Origi but we're not, and it shows it's not all about the quality of player, it's about having a plan and buying players around that plan.

Instead, what we'll end up doing is trying to sign Bellingham, who you effectively don't need scouts or a plan for anyway, and Nunes, who is just another Portuguese League guy. 

The paucity of our owners is staggering. How much is enough for that greedy cunt Henry? It’s time they were shown the door. Don’t care they did the stadium, looks a fucking lopsided mess to me. The views from up top, looking down on the roofs of the other stands, is ugly. Like watching from outside the stadium or a drone. 

Whole squad needs a rebuild and a huge clear out. 

Besides the obvious, need to shift:

Matip

Phillips 

Gomez

Henderson

Fabinho

Milner (to back room team)

Jones

Salah (if he doesn’t turn his shocking form around) 

That’s on top of Adrian, Keita and Ox with Keheller probably wanting out too. And as impressive as Melo has been, I think he’ll go. 

Look forward to reading how many of these will be ‘like new signings’ come September…

On the one hand, we're one year away from a near-quadruple and having the best recruitment team in all of football.

On the other hand, we've seemingly dismantled that recruitment team for no reason at all and just spent the entire January window desperately needing a midfielder only to spend 40m on a single signing ... who plays up front?

So yeah, fair to say that this upcoming summer will probably determine what the next 3-4 years looks like. Get it right and we can rebuild a bit and be back to challenging for the league title by 2024-25. Get it wrong and with the likes of Newcastle suddenly spending billions and making it a top 7 instead of a top 4, we might be in and out of the race for CL places the next few years.

7 hours ago, an tha said:

Fuck it - may as well move the conversation to a new thread!

I don't think it can be overstated just how important this window is for our football club - I'd say it is an absolutely pivotal one and the most important in many a year.

As I write this we of course do not know if we go into this window as a Champions League team or not and although for me it should not matter either way, I think it inevitably will - owners cutting budgets/players not wanting to come if we aren't in it and us paying over odds for lesser players....

If it ends up as looks likely at present we are not in it, the club will hopefully act like a big club, an ambitous club and a club who believe they are going places and the absence from the 'top table' is a very temporary one.

We all know the area of the squad that need attention the most - surely this is the window where we finally do what needs to be done...

Personally i'd like to see a centre half too - the long term partner for Konate in coming years - there isn't all that many miles left on the clocks of VVD and Matip, Gomez is a shadow of the player he looked like he would become and across the centre half options injuries seem to be becoming more and more frequent - it needs strengthening in my opinion and the succession planning in place.

The other shout I am making now (I appreciate it will be unpopular with many and maybe controversial) is that I believe Salah will leave in this window.

So here we go - The Summer '23 Transfer Thread.......

Honestly I have lost all interest in the club and what they do going forward. Expect the usual nonsense along the lines of “ We had our targets but they wanted champions league football”