You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Engerland world cup squad

Carvalho Diablo

I’ve had an outside e/w bet on Senegal. I don’t really think they’ve much hope but I tend to pick an outsider, it was either them or Denmark. 

I’d lump on Denmark if I was you. 

My hope is that Argentina win. They have a player who’s legacy would be cemented by picking up the trophy. Not that he needs it, in my opinion, but it would shut the ‘Ronaldo is better’ clowns up. I’m not referring to the Brazilian Ronaldo either. 

Shearer and Kane were/are both brilliant. England wouldn't have gotten near the Euro '96 final or last year's Euros final without either. Almost guaranteed goals regardless of the game or opposition. Look at Kane's the other day against us, FFS, few others could have scored that. 

I've come around to the idea that Trent getting selected is a good. One thing for certain is he needs the announcement over and done with, the microscope he's been under seems to have affected him badly. He's not as shit as defending as he's been showing for months now. 4 weeks in the sun barely kicking a ball will do him the world of good, should be very little travel involved giving the size of the country.  

Same deal with Fab, a few weeks away won't do any harm. We need them home after the quarter finals though. Madly it looks like Villa will be worse off than us when meet after the World Cup.

How many of our players will go?

Alisson and Fabinho are in

Henderson will go but will Trent and/or Gomez join him?

Konate only recently got into the French squad but i presume will be picked. 

VvD - certainly 

Thiago - doubtful.

Darwin - banker. 

So 6 definites with 3 other possibilities. 

We could get a proper pre-season into the other 16/17 players - a better one than we had in the summer anyway - and the remaining 60%+ of the season could look a lot differently. 

17 hours ago, dave u said:

I would have given Shearer the edge until Kane suddenly decided he was going to become just as good as a number ten as he is as a nine.

Really? He plays in Harry Kane FC where the whole team is built around him,ditto England. Shearer did it everywhere he played and in teams that were not always built around him or challenging for trophies often. Kane is deadly around the box but I dont think hes that great a link up player and needs Son to be most effective,eg Sunday.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Really? He plays in Harry Kane FC where the whole team is built around him,ditto England. Shearer did it everywhere he played and in teams that were not always built around him or challenging for trophies often. Kane is deadly around the box but I dont think hes that great a link up player and needs Son to be most effective,eg Sunday.

There is so much wrong with this post, I honestly don't know where to start.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

I’ve had an outside e/w bet on Senegal. I don’t really think they’ve much hope but I tend to pick an outsider, it was either them or Denmark. 

Given Mane has a tendon injury and is out, I think you’ve wasted your money. 

27 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Given Mane has a tendon injury and is out, I think you’ve wasted your money. 

Sadio Mané’s leg injury is not “too serious” and the Senegal international should be fit for the World Cup in Qatar, Bayern Munich’s assistant coach Dino Toppmöller said.....

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Sadio Mané’s leg injury is not “too serious” and the Senegal international should be fit for the World Cup in Qatar, Bayern Munich’s assistant coach Dino Toppmöller said.....

Really? Everything I’ve seen today says he’s out.

Trent will surely now be picked with Reece James out. While he probably wants to go himself, it's clear that the manager has little faith in him and large parts of the English viewing public will be keen to scapegoat him should anything go wrong. 

Another side of Neville's snideness is the prefacing of constant criticism of Trent with 'Martin I honestly think this kid can be the best right back the world has ever seen, but...' 

10 hours ago, an tha said:

Harry Kane is a slack jawed, mouth breathing, diving, dickhead turbo mong.....

But he is an absolutely superb footballer who has developed his game to be extremely effective.

Not many would agree but I reckon Kane would score as much as Haaland if he was in the City team, and is a much better all-round forward.