You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football 22/23

Bjornebye

On 17/07/2023 at 20:23, AngryOfTuebrook said:

A bit of idle musing doing the rounds on Twitter: name your favourite current player from Man City, Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Newcastle.

I'll go with

- de Bruyne

- Rashford (for non-football reasons)

- Martinelli

- Mo

- er... dunno. Maybe Reece James. He was alright on Mock The Week

- Isak

Man City - de Bruyne

Man United - Rashford

Arsenal - Saka

Liverpool - Salah 

Chelsea - Silva

Newcastle - Pope - seemed like a good egg on QoS

14 hours ago, Torvald Utne said:

Favourite player of another club? There's no such thing, that's England fan behaviour.

I see these type of posts on Facebook pages all the time. There was a photo of George Best celebrating his goal in the 1968 European Cup Final and some alleged Liverpool fan pops up and said "I support Liverpool buy I think that this is one of the greatest football photos ever". Posted by some fella who lives in Hemel Hempstead. 

As if any proper  Liverpool fan would say that, no Manc would ever say anything nice about a photo of Tommy Smith scoring in 1977.

Nothing wrong with admitting that another team were good, that's just being objective but actively liking anything from another club is weird.

You only have to look at the bitterness towards anything Liverpool related these days. Fuck everyone who isn't us. 

35 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

I see these type of posts on Facebook pages all the time. There was a photo of George Best celebrating his goal in the 1968 European Cup Final and some alleged Liverpool fan pops up and said "I support Liverpool buy I think that this is one of the greatest football photos ever". Posted by some fella who lives in Hemel Hempstead. 

As if any proper  Liverpool fan would say that, no Manc would ever say anything nice about a photo of Tommy Smith scoring in 1977.

Nothing wrong with admitting that another team were good, that's just being objective but actively liking anything from another club is weird.

You only have to look at the bitterness towards anything Liverpool related these days. Fuck everyone who isn't us. 

George Best is my dad’s favourite non-Liverpool player. He saw him play at Old Trafford, on a handful of occasions, when Liverpool were playing away.

2 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

George Best is my dad’s favourite non-Liverpool player. He saw him play at Old Trafford, on a handful of occasions, when Liverpool were playing away.

There’s a hidden message in here…

17 hours ago, Torvald Utne said:

Favourite player of another club? There's no such thing, that's England fan behaviour.

Got to be honest, I don't have a favourite player of any rival team because I want them to lose and if they're in any way good I'd rather them get five or six "non-serious" injuries a year, but it's okay to respect and secretly admire certain players. De Bruyne and Gundogan are lads that come to mind immediately. Incredible players. Kroos and Modric, Benzema as well when he was in the Madrid team. Always liked watching Messi for Barcelona and Argentina. Ronaldo is a knobhead but again a great player. I guess it's one of those things that you can put tribalism aside and admire a master craftsman. 

The first rival team I hated was Revie's Leeds. The Mancs were in decline and soon to be relegated. Everton were still very good but back then, we got on (apart from being a little shit to two of my older brothers who are blues and getting a slap for my troubles on derby days) with them. Never liked the London teams, but never minded Arsenal for some reason. 

Revie's Leeds were like Pep's City for the modern generation. It just felt at the time, if you wanted to win, you had to finish above them. Great players in abundance too and dirty as fuck. The player that stands out for me is Giles. For me, he's like the De Bruyne of his day. A rolls royce of a player who again was a dirty bastard. I heard Souey say that Giles and Bremner made him realise what being a hardman really was when he was breaking through and played against them. Giles stands out as the first player I hated (respected). 

• Upvote 3

Watched the highlights earlier and, he still going to be a bit rusty, his legs look to be going. His skill will get him so many goals still but when he has the ball at his feet the defenders will have the advantage as he doesn't have the same footspeed. Maybe will be less noticeable in MLS, as they like an open game. The Mexicans sat deep and pressed him aggressively.

Watching a bit of Zambia vs Japan in the world cup, bit of a clash of styles to say the least.

On 19/07/2023 at 11:51, Tony Moanero said:

Bollocks! I’m a football fan, so I enjoy watching good players. Well, at least I did when I watched football on a regular basis.

You’ll know when you’ve been Moaneroed.