You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Films That Have Aged Badly

The film thread had me thinking about this. 

While I've never seen Top Gun it seemed to me that film like that might have aged badly? My own thoughts are that also something like Lethal Weapon is also the type of film that will have become pretty dated and for a number of reasons. Not all related to actual film making.

Any others you think have?

Top Gun and Lethal Weapon shouldn’t be near this thread. Still brilliant even now. 

Not a film but I was so disappointed restarting 21. Used to love it, now the early series just look crap. 

Jaws 3

• Upvote 1

Just now, johnsusername said:

I mean the new one! But yeah the original has dated. Quite slow in parts. 

Yeah - I knew that. I was attempting a joke. Some jubilee humour. I’ll try again if she makes it to her 75th. 

Taking the kids to see the new one on the weekend after this one. We’re going to watch the first one in the morning, then go. They’ve seen neither, it’s been a long time since I saw the original.

Top Gun Sunday it’ll be. 

6 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Bond films.

Viewed through modern eyes he seems a weirdly psychotic sex-pest. The latter Roger Moore films are like a parody about a pensioner who thinks he's a spy.

I completely disagree. Those older ones are much better than the modern stuff. It's got worse the longer it's gone on has the Bond 'franchise.'

7 minutes ago, Paul said:

The pacing of many films has aged badly. So many feel utterly ponderous these days. 

It's more noticeable with the big-budget films because they have to lay the groundwork for sequels and spin-offs.

1 hour ago, Rushies tash said:

Sadly, I find that the likes of Airplane and Blazing Saddles (which were great at the time) make me cringe a little when I watch them now. Maybe it's familiarity and all that, but they're just not that funny anymore.

So wrong.  Airplane was only ever an exercise in intense silliness, done brilliantly, and Blazing Saddles is still the high water mark of film comedy.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Bond films.

Viewed through modern eyes he seems a weirdly psychotic sex-pest. The latter Roger Moore films are like a parody about a pensioner who thinks he's a spy.

Yeah, the idea of a government agent with a licence to kill isn't terribly appealing.

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

So wrong.  Airplane was only ever an exercise in intense silliness, done brilliantly, and Blazing Saddles is still the high water mark of film comedy.

I agree, and I enjoyed them immensely when I was younger. They just leave me cold now.

Loads of films have aged in terms of style, dialogue, pacing, special effects, etc. It isn’t a problem for me, though. Storytelling doesn’t age, and I just watch a film as if I was watching it in the time that it was made. If I want to watch something that is modern, I’ll watch a modern film.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Top Gun and Lethal Weapon shouldn’t be near this thread. Still brilliant even now. 

Not a film but I was so disappointed restarting 21. Used to love it, now the early series just look crap. 

Jaws 3

That aged badly on the day of release.

I’ll throw Ferris Bullers Day Off in there.

I watched it with the missus who’d never seen it as a kid. So we watched together and it felt dated and cringe. Watching it via someone else and expecting them to love it why you did as a kid, to find they didn’t as their grown up was a pretty bumming experience.

Maybe that’s an age thing, but I’d imagine most kids now wouldn’t give a shit about the film either.

Blues Brothers on the other hand was the opposite, loved it and realised she’d missed some pretty big cultural reference points it set out.