You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (N) Charity Shield - 29/8/20 - 16:30

Bjornebye

6 hours ago, Manny said:

Fucking weird, boring fanbase Arsenal, and one who're slowly morphing into Everton in their obsession with one-upmanship and their ability to be convinced that there's a power shift a'comin' based off the tiniest whiff of positive news. Bellerin has put on Twitter that he "needs a bigger trophy cabinet" after today's game. Notwithstanding the sheer fucking small-timeness of getting that cocky after winning the Charity Shield, it's made worse by the first 400 replies from Arsenal fans all saying literally exactly the same thing:

"I hear Tottenham have got plenty of room in theirs"

image.png

You could make a case for Bellerin joking but then you see his profile picture...

jHlfHxPP_400x400.jpg

20 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I thought Minamino when he had more of a free role when he first came on was good. 

Were just a far better side than Arsenal so its annoying they've beat us twice. We really do need new blood in the attacking sense. 

It was a draw.

I have no recollection at all of last years charity shield, and I’m 75% sure I watched it. I was told yesterday that I definitely did, but I don’t remember any of it.

I was out yesterday for a catch up beers for the first time in 6 months with a group of mates and streamed it on my phone, propped up against an empty pint pot that we occasionally glanced at.

i don’t expect I’ll remember this one in a years time, either.

its the charity shield. You want to be in it, and ideally you want to win it, but it matters to me not one jot that we lost of pens.

anyway, I only woke up for a piss and a paracetamol, so I’m heading back to bed.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Interesting fun fact - Arsenal have won the FA Cup four times in the last 15 years. They have won the Community Shield after all of them.

Interesting fun fact part 2. Ex Arsenal player Matthew Upson saved football coaches the bother of giving his first born child meaningless motivational self confidence talks by naming his son Chin.

• Upvote 6

Henderson is a big loss to our midfield. Fabinho plays better when he's there and Milner's role works better too. As Section said,our drop off is massive when injuries hit and not just with our front three. Keita and Minamino made a difference and I believe they will play more,injuries permitting. Looks like the youngsters will be playing more if,as looks likely,we dont spend any cash this summer.

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I know a fair few everton fans who say we didnt win the CL Final in 2005 because the game was decided on pens. Nah, we lost yesterday even if it was on pens.

We lost the competition but we drew tye match. Pens only exist in the charity shield to try and make it seem more important than everyone really knows it is. For years it was shared. It it was actually important there’s be extra time first, but everyone knows it’s not so straight to pens so they can do some publicity shots with “the winner”.

im not one for trying to look for silver linings, really I’m not, but I was replying to the idea that “these are shit and we’ve lost to them twice” we’ll, yeah, they are shit, but we lost one and drew one.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

We lost the competition but we drew tye match. Pens only exist in the charity shield to try and make it seem more important than everyone really knows it is. For years it was shared. It it was actually important there’s be extra time first, but everyone knows it’s not so straight to pens so they can do some publicity shots with “the winner”.

im not one for trying to look for silver linings, really I’m not, but I was replying to the idea that “these are shit and we’ve lost to them twice” we’ll, yeah, they are shit, but we lost one and drew one.

Yeah I think the stuff about arsenal beating us twice is a bit OTT as well. We just turne din a poor performance overall.

I was pissed off yesterday and decided a rant was not going to help.  On reflection they're were few positives to take away other than a class performance from Robbo.  Klopp should shoulder some of the blame as Williams looked hopelessly exposed for most of the game and taking off Gini at the death for Brewster backfired. I suppose Minamino getting off the mark was something but overall our lads just don't seem to have enough intensity since lockdown whilst other teams are handling the empty stadiums better. 

All that aside yesterday would have been a little more bearable without those two complete bellends Darke and Sutton wanking themselves stupid for 90 mins over a bang average Arsenal performance.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, magicrat said:

All that aside yesterday would have been a little more bearable without those two complete bellends Darke and Sutton wanking themselves stupid for 90 mins over a bang average Arsenal performance.

I had a stream with Dutch commentary, so I can confirm it was bearable.

7 minutes ago, magicrat said:

That for me, was the worst part of the day, absolutely infuriating.

6 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Agreed.

During preseason there are always kinks to work out and having seen how we got better as the match went on, I'm confident the match thread will back to it's best for Leeds on the 14th.

I think we were trying to pace ourselves and they blew themselves out in the first thirty minutes, After that there was only one side in it until they brought on fresh legs late on and we started to tire. 

3 hours ago, magicrat said:

I was pissed off yesterday and decided a rant was not going to help.  On reflection they're were few positives to take away other than a class performance from Robbo.  Klopp should shoulder some of the blame as Williams looked hopelessly exposed for most of the game and taking off Gini at the death for Brewster backfired. I suppose Minamino getting off the mark was something but overall our lads just don't seem to have enough intensity since lockdown whilst other teams are handling the empty stadiums better. 

I recon you’ve got this pretty much spot on mate. We seem to be letting goals in and getting opened up more since the lockdown. And does Robbo’s performance yesterday prove that bringing in a player to compete for a position is the correct thing to do.

20 minutes ago, ben48 said:

I recon you’ve got this pretty much spot on mate. We seem to be letting goals in and getting opened up more since the lockdown. And does Robbo’s performance yesterday prove that bringing in a player to compete for a position is the correct thing to do.

I think we desperately need a few different ways of playing.

We lack a goal threat from distance.

We lack some creativity in the middle when the flanks arnt working

We lack a goalscorer in the box because Robertson put in some unbelievable deliveries yesterday and no one was there.

• Upvote 1