You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

If the question is why do we speak about one more than the other, it's because very few people defend the others nations. There's not much to debate. We just already all agree. Russia has taken up way more characters on this forum recently, and it's mostly because of disagreement. I mean, you give me a good argument in support of ethnic violence in Sudan and we'll have a good ol' rumble about it I'm sure. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

compared to where?

the israeli/palestinian conflict has been going on now for how long?50 odd years?

could you point to where there is a similiar situation around the world which the left have ignored? 

There you go again, I haven't said that the left have ignored other shit regimes. I asked If and why Palestine is given way way more attention? You haven't said that it is or isn't just that it's been going on 50 odd years.

6 minutes ago, A Red said:

There you go again, I haven't said that the left have ignored other shit regimes. I asked If and why Palestine is given way way more attention? You haven't said that it is or isn't just that it's been going on 50 odd years.

there is probally a lot of reasons..maybe because the west in general tend to turn a blind eye to a lot of the shenanigans they get upto?  

9 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Seems like Corbyn agrees with me, that it was a poor term to use, and that she was right to apologise.

Corbyn in freedom of speech shocker. Read all about it. 

But yeah, he’s right. It’s not about not mentioning it, it’s about doing it in the right way. Good ol’ Corbs. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Because it's the one set of atrocities wildly ignored by the western media, in-particular western governments. The anti-semitic agenda you think is there, isn't. It's a deflection tactic from the reality of what is happening. 

Corbyn mentions the innocent Yemenese who are murdered and de-housed regularly. Why doesn't he get called out by the right wing press for that?....... Hmm.... 

But, you neg away as usual when presented with reality. 

EDIT: Right Wing.... 

8 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

there is probally a lot of reasons..maybe because the west in general tend to turn a blind eye to a lot of the shenanigans they get upto?  

Yep and the reaction when Corbyn did mention it. It seemed like a case of well what are you hiding? And once people delved into it they saw the atrocities. 

Yet again for consistency, Hamas are horrible cunts as well. 

6 hours ago, A Red said:

There aren't many other current conflicts that we helped to start, help to prop up, and see such an enormous difference in power (and this difference has been sustained) between the oppressed and the oppressor. An oppressor which has a powerful lobbying group within the UK which even members of the main left wing party appear to feel under pressure to pander to. 

It really isn't all that surprising that many people on the left feel like it is a cause which deserves attention. The "opponent" is a nuclear super power backed by the world's most powerful country. 

There is also a feeling, rightly or wrongly, that such a sophisticated, technologically advanced country, should have many of the same values as other sophisticated, technologically advanced countries. Rather than having a government from a dystopian novel, and a military shooting children on the beach. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, A Red said:

Britain can claim an assist with terminating the Palestenian mandate in 1948.  I wouldnt say its a left right/thing. We have contributed to it but nobody talks about that.

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

There aren't many other current conflicts that we helped to start, help to prop up, and see such an enormous difference in power (and this difference has been sustained) between the oppressed and the oppressor. An oppressor which has a powerful lobbying group within the UK which even members of the main left wing party appear to feel under pressure to pander to. 

It really isn't all that surprising that many people on the left feel like it is a cause which deserves attention. The "opponent" is a nuclear super power backed by the world's most powerful country. 

There is also a feeling, rightly or wrongly, that such a sophisticated, technologically advanced country, should have many of the same values as other sophisticated, technologically advanced countries. Rather than having a government from a dystopian novel, and a military shooting children on the beach. 

Perhaps the bold bit goes some way to explaining, more is expected from Israel as they are held to higher standards than elsewhere. As some would say...hmmm I wonder why?

27 minutes ago, House of Dirk said:

Britain can claim an assist with terminating the Palestenian mandate in 1948.  I wouldnt say its a left right/thing. We have contributed to it but nobody talks about that.

I think Britain fucked up many countries by creating straight line borders or borders with no consideration to demographics. Its been talked about many times.

45 minutes ago, A Red said:

I think Britain fucked up many countries by creating straight line borders or borders with no consideration to demographics. Its been talked about many times.

It was the UN partition plan in 1947 though and the proposed borders were based on land ownership by the relative communities.

borders.jpg

57 minutes ago, A Red said:

Perhaps the bold bit goes some way to explaining, more is expected from Israel as they are held to higher standards than elsewhere. As some would say...hmmm I wonder why?

I mean, there’s been some decent explanations in this thread, yet you keep intimating that it’s because of antisemitism… why? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I mean, there’s been some decent explanations in this thread, yet you keep intimating that it’s because of antisemitism… why? 

I actually said I don't believe its anti Semitism and don't understand how you could come to that conclusion. I don't think I've ever accused Corbyn, for example, of being one. 

I'm asking the question that many people such as me who are not left wing and floating voters want to understand. There doesn't seem to be 1 over-riding answer for the obsession there is with some about Israel.

Just now, A Red said:

I actually said I don't believe its anti Semitism and don't understand how you could come to that conclusion. I don't think I've ever accused Corbyn, for example, of being one. 

I'm asking the question that many people such as me who are not left wing and floating voters want to understand. There doesn't seem to be 1 over-riding answer for the obsession there is with some about Israel.

You said that you don’t think the focus on Israel is because of antisemitism? I missed that, apologies if you said that. It very much feels like that’s what you’re alluding to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1