You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

28 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Dunno about that. I think the mane link is lazy journalism, so lazy they've not even thought about how much Barca would be laughed off with a 80m bid. But the Gini thing I think is different. There's certainly more to him not signing his contract than it's all just taking a bit of time. We seem absolutely interested in thiago, yet we've not moved yet and the echo say daily "we're not interested at this time", like we're waiting for something else to happen. And surely Gini wants a last big contract - he won't get that going home and you'd like to think if he leaves us he'd only be interested in a top club from another country. Koeman is going to need all the mates he can find and Gini wouldn't cost the earth and they could probably double his wages and he'd still come in on the low end for Barca. 

A lot of good points there but there was absolutely no noise about him moving on this summer until it was rumoured that Koeman would be going to Barca and then immediately everyone was saying he’d want Dutch players following him. 

Gini could have his pick of teams next summer with huge wages and a fat signing on bonus. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, he wouldn't be "cheap", but if we rate him and he simply replaces two departed players, It's not too bad. And I don't think there have been other links to forwards, have there?

I'm rooting for this to happen though, because I doubt we use Shaqiri or Wilson if we just keep them.

Even the Sarr rumour is pretty flat! Personally I would be shocked if it happened. Shaq would deffo have to go or perhaps origi and one other could cover it. But clubs who had interest in origi seem to be getting other strikers.

57 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

A lot of good points there but there was absolutely no noise about him moving on this summer until it was rumoured that Koeman would be going to Barca and then immediately everyone was saying he’d want Dutch players following him. 

Gini could have his pick of teams next summer with huge wages and a fat signing on bonus. 

Sure, but maybe Barca had no interest before koeman took the job? Since klopp has been Liverpool manager, Edwards has suddenly started signing footballers who are good at football. That's what having a good new manager helps you do. It seems a pretty logical thing for a manager to do when walking into a tough dressing room to bring one or two players in he can trust. And in terms of Gini could have his pick of clubs, I don't really see who that would be. Maybe Bayern, but despite losing thiago, there's nothing to suggest they're interested. Couple that to Barca are Barca even when they're shit and they'll always be a special club to the Dutch, it seems a pretty logical place for him to end up should be choose not to sign a new deal with us.

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

Chelsea paying Werner £200,000 a week seems insane to me. Oil twats. 

By December we're all going to be thinking how cheap that is and how smart they were to get him in.

It's like when we paid £75m for Virgil and everyone made fun of us, only to shut up after a few months when he proved to be an absolute monster. Werner is not quite at that level, but he's not far off it either.

I still don't understand why we didn't make that move. Even if it meant putting everything else on hold this summer, I'd have rather gone into the year with Werner and no Tsmimikas and Thiago. Especially looking down the road a few years, I'm not sure we'll have the chance again to buy a front three player at the level of the ones we have now.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

By December we're all going to be thinking how cheap that is and how smart they were to get him in.

It's like when we paid £75m for Virgil and everyone made fun of us, only to shut up after a few months when he proved to be an absolute monster. Werner is not quite at that level, but he's not far off it either.

I still don't understand why we didn't make that move. Even if it meant putting everything else on hold this summer, I'd have rather gone into the year with Werner and no Tsmimikas and Thiago. Especially looking down the road a few years, I'm not sure we'll have the chance again to buy a front three player at the level of the ones we have now.

Because Werner needed to be done then and we hadn't sold anyone by that point. It's why thiago isn't a Liverpool player now, we've more selling to do, so that mightn't happen. We bought kostas because lovren left, but that wasn't funding Werner.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The fee would be like 10m less at the very least and his wages would be half of Werner's. 

Probably about £25m difference over 4 years to get one of the best strikers in Europe rather than a relegated raw kid

( I know Edwards record is phenomenal but I don't see this lad is special at all )

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Because Werner needed to be done then and we hadn't sold anyone by that point. It's why thiago isn't a Liverpool player now, we've more selling to do, so that mightn't happen. We bought kostas because lovren left, but that wasn't funding Werner.

Even Everton can stump up 25m for this Allan. 

A club with half our turnover, a club who made tens of millions less than us in prize/tv money last season and a club with one of if not the highest wage to turnover ratio.

How we can't buy is a mystery to me and something is seriously wrong.

On our finances, I really don't see an assessment which puts FSG in a good light to be honest.

We are either

1. scraping the bottom of the barrel broke after winning everything in sight, record TV deals, a record nike deal and big wages off the books (incl Sturridge who left last summer and was replaced by nobody)...OR
  2. not actually broke, but just pretending to be because our owners don't actually want to spend any substantial money on the playing squad

If #1 is true (which some on here will have you believe), then we must be following some fucking awful fiscal practices. It's not like we won everything in sight after spending lots of money, quite the opposite in fact, so you'd think that the last 3 years of unbridled success and footballing health would have given us some genuine economic buffer in the event of things going to shit. What we're being told, rather, is that we have literally no buffer. Is that good ownership?

If #2 is true (which some on here also believe), then FSG are tight cunts who are treating LFC as an asset as opposed to a football team. With no imminent fear of us dropping like a stone (it would need a preposterous collapse to have us drop out the top four in the next few years), FSG know the value of the asset will hold (or grow, depending on TV rights) and thus there is no pressure on them to take the on the risk of further investment. 

This is what many on here (and LFC fans in general) are struggling with. If our manager has - against all odds - won us the biggest honors over the past three years without serious investment, then how the fuck have our owners conspired to be in a position where we have no fucking money?

I remember the shit fans gave the owners after we didn't capitalize on 2005. If we aren't being fed a yarn right now then fucking hell, that was nothing compared to this.

• Upvote 6

Compared to last season we will have lost shitloads of revenue from getting knocked out the Champions League early and losing the home games to covid. We'll lose loads more next season because the stadium won't be fully open until there's a vaccine, most likely. That could be years away still.

The only clubs investing at the moment are clubs that have owners that are prepared to stomach huge losses if it all goes tits up. Ours aren't.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, an tha said:

Even Everton can stump up 25m for this Allan. 

A club with half our turnover, a club who made tens of millions less than us in prize/tv money last season and a club with one of if not the highest wage to turnover ratio.

How we can't buy is a mystery to me and something is seriously wrong.

To be fair Everton are able to do this only because their owner is pumping money in, something like 250m in loans on the last accounts. 

9 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Sure, but maybe Barca had no interest before koeman took the job? Since klopp has been Liverpool manager, Edwards has suddenly started signing footballers who are good at football. That's what having a good new manager helps you do. It seems a pretty logical thing for a manager to do when walking into a tough dressing room to bring one or two players in he can trust. And in terms of Gini could have his pick of clubs, I don't really see who that would be. Maybe Bayern, but despite losing thiago, there's nothing to suggest they're interested. Couple that to Barca are Barca even when they're shit and they'll always be a special club to the Dutch, it seems a pretty logical place for him to end up should be choose not to sign a new deal with us.

But these rumours started the moment Red Ron was first linked with the job. Surely you can see where I’m coming from. With Gini’s contract situation he’s literally the first name that journos would pluck out of the air to link him with. 

I could see Gini having offers from Bayern, Barca, Real, everyone in Italy and probably a few top English teams as well if he’s that way inclined. If it really is about money for him then he’s best sitting tight where he is for now.

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

But these rumours started the moment Red Ron was first linked with the job. Surely you can see where I’m coming from. With Gini’s contract situation he’s literally the first name that journos would pluck out of the air to link him with. 

I could see Gini having offers from Bayern, Barca, Real, everyone in Italy and probably a few top English teams as well if he’s that way inclined. If it really is about money for him then he’s best sitting tight where he is for now.

Of course he could have offers. It would seem 

unlikely to me he would join another premier League club - and that certainly won't happen now and it is possible he just wants a bosman.

But you seem to be dismissing the Barca link because it's obvious. But surely the obvious answer is that for a reason. There are so many reasons for a move to Barca to make sense for Gini, it makes no sense to just dismiss it. I would say Gini moving this window is as likely as us signing thiago. And of all of the clubs Gini could join this year, Barca would make the most sense. 

8 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Do you think he is going to score more than 15 league golas next season?

Yes I think he will , think he will have a debut season like Salah had for us. Anyway I asked the question who are the 30 million 100k players out there to cover  front three and put them under a bit of pressure. Only answer so far is Sarr . That's why passing up on Werner was a catastrophic decision for succession planning for the squad . Also we knew the buy out clause we knew ballpark the wages when running a business you make a decision set aside the  money if you have it or make plans to get the funds (here's a new concept get a loan) prior to needing it and you secure the player or alternative your manager has identified. For all our good work in transfer market and regardless of covid, if we are in a sell to buy mode we are going to fall off a cliff in terms of squad depth pretty quick. If Thiago was not available this summer would we be doing any business at all other than LB? Doubt it .