You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

I've had both doses of Pfizer and it's still not recognised by the UK as they weren't both administered by the NHS.

The UK is going full cunt.

Full on shithouse cunts(some would say)

Just seen Bulgaria (green list) has put UK(ooh everybody, look at us) on their Red list. Anyday now for Turkey I think.

23 hours ago, Mudface said:

I've been invited to request an antibody test from the NHS as part of the Zoe Covid symptom trial- I don't think I've had it, but it'll be interesting to find out. Have you had an email too, @Barrington Womble?

No mate, I've not had one, unless it's gone into spam. 

13 minutes ago, SasaS said:

If hospitals are having to canncel operations because of less than 4,000 hospitalized people in the entire country and 545 in ICU on ventilators, that has to be down to total lack of organization. These are the numbers a Western country with population of 5 million should be able to cope with.

It seems to me we have always known there would still be cases in a post vaccine world. We supposedly have had the intention to use the vaccine as our way out of this. So what I'd like to know is why are we not building new or adding to existing health care facilities to cope with this? This whole 18 month Tory fuck fest has always just been aimed at "protecting the NHS", yet it seems they haven't put a second of thought into how to protect the NHS from here on in. It's almost like they're deliberately trying to kill people. 

21 minutes ago, SasaS said:

If hospitals are having to canncel operations because of less than 4,000 hospitalized people in the entire country and 545 in ICU on ventilators, that has to be down to total lack of organization. These are the numbers a Western country with population of 5 million should be able to cope with.

Eh? The NHS is already massively overburdened and short staffed as it is, there's absolutely no slack at the best of times. Every bed, 'normal' or ICU occupied by a Covid patient is one less available for a 'regular' patient. There's also the double whammy of NHS staff being infected or isolating further exacerbating the problem. My missus is area manager for an addiction treatment service and is having real difficulties as half her staff are currently off.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

50'000 cases today for the first time since January. 

giphy.gif

That's roughly double the number of cases of two weeks ago, so you'd expect that to translate into around 100 deaths a day in a fortnight's time. Marvellous.

10 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Eh? The NHS is already massively overburdened and short staffed as it is, there's absolutely no slack at the best of times. Every bed, 'normal' or ICU occupied by a Covid patient is one less available for a 'regular' patient. There's also the double whammy of NHS staff being infected or isolating further exacerbating the problem. My missus is area manager for an addiction treatment service and is having real difficulties as half her staff are currently off.

They dealt with 4000 cases a day at the peak of the second wave, so they should be able to cope with 10 to 15 percent of what they had then.

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

They dealt with 4000 cases a day at the peak of the second wave, so they should be able to cope with 10 to 15 percent of what they had then.

They can cope (for now at least), but they'll have to cancel operations to do so.

43 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The email arrived on Monday. Just re-read it though, and it mentions this-

We’re inviting you because you’ve experienced symptoms in the past but might not have logged a positive PCR test.

I felt shitty for a couple of days a couple of months back and put that into the app at the time, then I took an LFT to check before I went down to my Mum's the other week, which came back negative. So I guess it's that particular combination of circumstances that 'qualifies' for the antibody test.

48 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I haven’t had one either, though I’d take them up on it if they offered me it. 

I tried to sign up for a booster trial, thought I’d do my bit, and they didn’t have anything close to me (Aughton) but said they’d email me if something came up nearby. 

Got an email before saying good news, we’ve got a trial near you. It’s in North Manchester hospital and you have to attend once a fortnight for eight weeks. It’s fucking 30 miles away! No chance I’m going there.

40 minutes ago, SasaS said:

When I look at the covid map, they seem to be relatively evenly distributed throughout the country.

North east and Yorkshire is looking particularly bad at the minute for hospitalisations. Pretty clear to me it’s disproportionately affecting some areas. 

83F996F7-1B46-4DCF-9069-EB5E65113463.png

19 minutes ago, Mudface said:

The email arrived on Monday. Just re-read it though, and it mentions this-

I felt shitty for a couple of days a couple of months back and put that into the app at the time, then I took an LFT to check before I went down to my Mum's the other week, which came back negative. So I guess it's that particular combination of circumstances that 'qualifies' for the antibody test.

Maybe. I also had some symptoms (but way back in the initial wave). 

13 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I haven’t had one either, though I’d take them up on it if they offered me it. 

I tried to sign up for a booster trial, thought I’d do my bit, and they didn’t have anything close to me (Aughton) but said they’d email me if something came up nearby. 

Got an email before saying good news, we’ve got a trial near you. It’s in North Manchester hospital and you have to attend once a fortnight for eight weeks. It’s fucking 30 miles away! No chance I’m going there.

Yep, I got the same email this afternoon! I may do it, depends when I have to go and how easy it looks to get to the hospital. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Elective surgeries are scheduled procedures. They need time slots. People with Covid come in hospitals needing immediate attention, or they die. This takes the ressources and time away from these elective surgeries.

Sorry to be harsh but the only reason this needs explaining is that you're a fucking idiot. 

My kidney transplant was put on hold for 2 months last year because of Covid.. Was meant to have it in April but got the word that it was being postponed. It was incredibly frustrating as I declined quite a bit while waiting for to be called back. We only got a few days notice to get ready for it in June. I can only imagine what it must have been like for Cancer patients and their families and people needing heart or liver transplants.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 11

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

North east and Yorkshire is looking particularly bad at the minute for hospitalisations. Pretty clear to me it’s disproportionately affecting some areas. 

It seems to be worse in areas with lower rate of vaccination. That hospital would be in Midlands, right? Which is about the average. As you would expect.

2 hours ago, belarus said:

Last week in august, maybe the one before

Ah, don’t say that. I’m pencilled in to come back up north then. That’ll be the first time in two years my kids will be able to see my sisters and their cousins. 

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

From my position down here it’s been shocking to see, at almost every point, that the North West has been hit hardest. I thought it didn’t stand to reason that it would be the North West again and again and again but so it proved. Finally looks different this time around. 

53 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

My kidney transplant was put on hold for 2 months last year because of Covid.. Was meant to have it in April but got the word that it was being postponed. It was incredibly frustrating as I declined quite a bit while waiting for to be called back. We only got a few days notice to get ready for it in June. I can only imagine what it must have been like for Cancer patients and their families and people needing heart or liver transplants.

Yeah, it's tough. What else can you say. 

• Upvote 1