You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

Relegation would probably result in virtually all of their players leaving and necessitate a complete rebuild. Some of Juventus's best players such as Buffon did actually stick with them after relegation and help them to come back up and rebuild. That's not going to happen at City as none of their players are going to have any sense of affiliation with the club. Their agents would probably be ringing around looking for new clubs within seconds of the relegation announcement. City would be under a lot of scrutiny in terms of future spending too, so even if they bounced straight back it would be very difficult for them to re-establish themself at the top of the premier league.  

So it's okay to break the rules if you don't agree with them.

The old elite fucking earned their status. Sure FFP can be leaner on clubs who earn less but its meant to protect those clubs from going bust trying to keep up with oil state and oligarch inflation. Samuel's is a propaganda mouthpiece. 

Fucking hell liverpool FC is elitist but the Royal Saudi family are just your common man trying to get by.

• Upvote 5

I'm just listening to that price of football podcast with that bellend Kieran Maguire. The editorial anti-PL sentiment from them I think reflects what most fans of smaller clubs think because they're so desperate to be lottery winners too. It seems it's the fault of PL for letting city get away with it for so long and the other big clubs for lobbying the PL do something about it. "Why did it take a hacker to get the PL to act?". "We can understand the anger and frustration of city fans". "Man city are just a political football". 

That's why city won't be punished severely. 

The Premier League are culpable, they buried their head in the sand and handed out free passes to anyone with enough money to buy a PL team, virtually unchallenged.

So this does have a “closing the stable door after the horse has bolted” feel about it. Of course they might have been hoping UEFA would actually get City banned from Europe for a few seasons (which technically they did) to save them the bother of having to take City on, but CAS put that idea as dead when they overturned the original findings.

As for Samuel, and others like him, I don’t think I’ve heard a bad word said against Arsenal, Chelsea or any other “Lahndan” club when he’s been talking about old elite clubs.

His idea of those clubs is us and United and he’s a West Ham fan as well, who never said anything derogatory about them getting a shiny new stadium after the Olympics.

He’s a fraud, but he’s not the only one.

Such a bullshit argument. "Some teams have too much money, so the only solution is for another team to be artificially injected with even more money, and then that's fair."

No it isn't. Man City haven't made the game fairer: there are still 86 clubs in the league that can't compete, ask Middlesbrough fans or Leyton Orient fans whether the presence of a super-rich Manchester fucking City have increased their chances of winning the league. Praying for a state investment fund to make you competitive isn't exactly my view of a level playing field.

The only difference is that the 5(ish) other clubs that could compete now largely can't - which is hardly "fair" even if it gives the chance for a bit of schadenfreude. With the added bonus that they have to spend more to keep up and, given they rely on more traditional income streams, the money for that has to come from the pockets of fans somehow.

City haven't made the game fairer. They've concentrated the wealth and power to a greater degree than has ever been seen before, and they've made the game even more fucking expensive. They're a complete cancer on the sport.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Manny said:

Such a bullshit argument. "Some teams have too much money, so the only solution is for another team to be artificially injected with even more money, and then that's fair."

No it isn't. Man City haven't made the game fairer: there are still 86 clubs in the league that can't compete, ask Middlesbrough fans or Leyton Orient fans whether the presence of a super-rich Manchester fucking City have increased their chances of winning the league. Praying for a state investment fund to make you competitive isn't exactly my view of a level playing field.

The only difference is that the 5(ish) other clubs that could compete now largely can't - which is hardly "fair" even if it gives the chance for a bit of schadenfreude. With the added bonus that they have to spend more to keep up and, given they rely on more traditional income streams, the money for that has to come from the pockets of fans somehow.

City haven't made the game fairer. They've concentrated the wealth and power to a greater degree than has ever been seen before, and they've made the game even more fucking expensive. They're a complete cancer on the sport.

Look at how clubs like Brighton and Brentford have risen to the top half of the Premier League. 

It's laughable that anybody can say that the only way Man City could rise to the top is by creating fake cryptocurrency sponsors and paying people off the books and that we should just accept it! 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

Here's Samuel's take on it. He obviously posts on GOT as well.

What makes me laugh is Everton fans think that binning FFP and creating a monopoly where only nation state backed clubs will hold all the spending power is somehow going to benefit them/allow them to regain their imaginary perch because 'it's the only way to stop the cartel'.

I know it gets trotted out a lot but they really do seem to define their existence by their hatred for us, as long as the reds suffer it's all good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Manny said:

It is bullshit but believe me there are LOTS of people who think they are being unfairly treated. I personally know a few asking the question "they have the money, they are rich, why can't they use it to make their business successful". Same people argue that Liverpool and United created their massive revenue over a period of years when there was no FFP and that FFP is now preventing rich owners from being successful. These are guys who do not even support City. 

Its a shit argument but I can see lots and lots and lots of fans buying it. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

It is bullshit but believe me there are LOTS of people who think they are being unfairly treated. I personally know a few asking the question "they have the money, they are rich, why can't they use it to make their business successful". Same people argue that Liverpool and United created their massive revenue over a period of years when there was no FFP and that FFP is now preventing rich owners from being successful. These are guys who do not even support City. 

Its a shit argument but I can see lots and lots and lots of fans buying it. 

Oh yeah don't disagree with that at all. "Why shouldn't owners be allowed to spend their own money to make their club successful?" and so on. But I still believe that those who echo that type of sentiment are motivated by about 90% "haha cry more dippers/septics/gooners" and about 10% "god imagine if that was us?" None of it comes from a sense that the game is somehow more fair; it's mostly fans of no-mark clubs who are enjoying see the fans of formerly successful clubs dragged down to something more like their level.

Half of these people don't give two shits about who wins the league, they're more interested in laughing at those who don't - City win and it's just a shrug and a "so you should, now let's get to the main event, pointing and laughing at the scousers/gloryhunting mancs." It's the English mentality in a nutshell.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Assuming most of the offences are proven, my bet would be a massive fine, restrictions on transfer dealings for a few windows and maybe a ban on representing the Prem in Europe for a few seasons. They might also declare that the Prem no longer recognize the cheated league titles but they’re not going to unwind past seasons.  

13 minutes ago, aws said:

Assuming most of the offences are proven, my bet would be a massive fine, restrictions on transfer dealings for a few windows and maybe a ban on representing the Prem in Europe for a few seasons. They might also declare that the Prem no longer recognize the cheated league titles but they’re not going to unwind past seasons.  

You are being really ambitious, even assuming most charges are proven. 

This is going to be one hell of a legal minefield and something I don't think PL will be able to fight through. If, however, everything you have said happens, I think that will be the best possible outcome.

2 hours ago, Tenfolder said:

What makes me laugh is Everton fans think that binning FFP and creating a monopoly where only nation state backed clubs will hold all the spending power is somehow going to benefit them/allow them to regain their imaginary perch because 'it's the only way to stop the cartel'.

I know it gets trotted out a lot but they really do seem to define their existence by their hatred for us, as long as the reds suffer it's all good.

Worst thing is they won't admit it either and just use some passive aggressive moral high ground reason that would have the goalposts moved instantly if it was them affected.

Remember when the null and void shouts were weirdly forgotten about when they played in an empty stadium and they won 4 games in a row.

• Like 1

If I was walking down the street minding my own business and saw bluto get hit by a bus and a pittbull sprint over and start devouring his face, I'd open a bag of crisps and make myself comfy. Horrible fucking crumby bearded cunt anti-spinach cunt 

58 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

If I was walking down the street minding my own business and saw bluto get hit by a bus and a pittbull sprint over and start devouring his face, I'd open a bag of crisps and make myself comfy. Horrible fucking crumby bearded cunt anti-spinach cunt 

Stronts is definitely bookmarking this one. Such mindless savagery. 

I will think it a disgrace if City are allowed keep their ill-gotten trophies,  if they are found guilty. However, the main thing is that they, and others like them, are prevented from doing this again and there is a real deterrent from even attempting it. 

Otherwise, what is the point? Genuinely 

Their cynicism is only matched by the pathetic submissiveness of the media. Look at some of the back pages today - all about poor City and us terrible hooligans forcing them to put up fences again. 'Quick, let's deflect attention away from the legal stuff - get it done!' 'No one will swallow that , boss'. 'Yes they will - here's some money!' 

• Upvote 2