You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Huddersfield Town (a) - PL Match Thread - Fuck it may as well have a go....

an tha

Swansea last week. Difference was their one shot on goal went in and we were pretty hopeless going forward.

Indeed.

Not sure why people get concerned about the (lack of) quality of the opposition.

Who gives a fuck?

We won.

We've drawn and lost plenty of times to shit teams, who have one or two shots in a game.

Would we rather Huddersfield had played better?

• Upvote 1

Indeed.Not sure why people get concerned about the (lack of) quality of the opposition.

Who gives a fuck?

We won.

We've drawn and lost plenty of times to shit teams, who have one or two shots in a game.

Would we rather Huddersfield had played better?

Trying to put our performance into some sort of perspective

I'd deffo take a United win tomorrow.

Hate them, but it's the best result for us, particularly if we go on to beat Spurs at the weekend.

Nah.  Fuck setting our sights on scraping 4th.  Why not have Spurs win tomorrow - and then lose at Anfield, obviously - leaving us just 3 points from 2nd?  Nobody's catching City, so we might as well aim to be the best of the rest.

• Upvote 1

Good performance and excellent result that. And vital to bounce back after the horror show against West Brom.

If it’s allowed to say it, I think our defensive weaknesses were quite visible tonight as well the few times they managed to put us under any sort of pressure.

Our best defensive and attacking weapon is pressing the opposition high up the field. When we put the required effort in and make that work we’re unstoppable. When not we’re a shambles.

Difficult to take any conclusions out of this one given Huddersfield's Wijnaldum-esque performance, but Milner's off the ball movement is vastly superior to that of Gini and AOC. He picks up some excellent positions which at least give the centre-backs the opportunity to play the ball into midfield instead of just completely bypassing it.

I agree. Also makes runs ahead of Bobby, gives the opposition back four something to think about.

Joey, I think it's very clear we're a better side on the attack, and we're much more likely to win in an open, high-scoring affair than a tight, canny match.

For the moment, that's the way it is. 

What's more high risk?  Needing to score 3 to win... or relying on a clean sheet.

Probably the latter for us.

The wife has just asked how Gini and redgie the parrot are brothers (La Parra) don't know what the fucks in her cuppa. She said that's what the commentators are calling him ffs.

They share the same dad ( the mum's maiden name is Wijnaldum  ) She divorced the dad when Gini was young & he lived with his maternal grandmother hence using the Wijnaldum name.

Gini has a younger brother Giliano Wijnaldum who plays for Philadelphia Union.

His cousin is that Royston Drenthe who Gerrard nutted in a friendly & ended up at Everton , his most notable contribution to the Bloos being leaving 2 lap dancers in his car at Finch Farm while he trained.

• Upvote 1

They share the same dad ( the mum's maiden name is Wijnaldum  ) She divorced the dad when Gini was young & he lived with his maternal grandmother hence using the Wijnaldum name.

Gini has a younger brother Giliano Wijnaldum who plays for Philadelphia Union.

His cousin is that Royston Drenthe who Gerrard nutted in a friendly & ended up at Everton , his most notable contribution to the Bloos being leaving 2 lap dancers in his car at Finch Farm while he trained.

POP QUIZ

No googling - Name the pair of brothers (and the countries they played for) who have faced each other in a World Cup finals match.

Made up with that , although Huddersfield lubed up for us completely. Watched them play Man City at home a month or two back & they were a nightmare for City but they basically seemed to just want to keep the score down tonight.

Everybody played well without any real pressure after Can's goal. Was quite amusing watching the thought occurring to Lovren & Matip at 2-0 that they could pass it among themselves for the last 40 minutes without a Huddersfield player coming near them.

Still unhappy at our transfer window but putting that to one side a win against Spurs would give us a commanding lead over the North London two.

I'd deffo take a United win tomorrow.

Hate them, but it's the best result for us, particularly if we go on to beat Spurs at the weekend.

If you want them to win.... You don't hate them nearly enough. A draw will suffice with a lot of injuries.

Id want them to lose at tiddlywinks if they were playing Pol Pot.

Can was supreme, by the way. As much as people want to pretend that he's downing tools and shouldn't be playing, he's the same player he's always been. Inconsistent, but capable of big performances, and he had one of those tonight. Nothing wrong with him or his attitude. 

After a couple of bad losses today’s game was all about getting the win. We did that, so job done.

The tempo was a bit better and I thought Henderson helped set that. At his best he’s well worth his place in the side. Let’s hope he puts the injuries behind him and gets back to his best. This was a decent enough game from him albeit against easy opposition.

Huddersfield were poor. They had that one shot in the first half that Karius saved. He should have saved it, but such is the state of our goalkeeping situation that we breathe a sigh of relief when our goalie just manages to do what he’s supposed to do! Karius was also decisive in collecting one or two crosses and he played at the edge of his box and did the sweeper keeper thing. Mingo is toast. Karius at least looks like he’s trying to fight for his future. It may or may not be enough to stop us signing a new number one, but good luck to the lad as he tries to show us his best form.

I don’t want to overdo it. Huddersfield were poor but at least we did what we had to do.

Man Utd v Spurs will have a silver lining no matter what happens. I hope it’s a draw, but whatever happens will give some sort of reason to see the bright side.

Last word goes to Arsenal.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

• Upvote 1

Tell you what, G, regarding the save Karius made I was genuinely shocked to see what happened. A keeper making a save has been so long in the making that I was all giddy. It looked like a world class save to me until I saw the replay when it was right at him, and he still fumbled it.

I thought he was good though.

• Upvote 1

Same here. The striker didn’t really make a good connection and it wasn’t near to the corner either, but I punched the air like it was Banks saving Pele’s header!

We’ll take basic competence for now. It’s something to build on at least. I liked his decisiveness in coming out to clear a couple too.

Chances are he’s average, but right now that’s looking pretty good.