You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andrew Robertson

cuppatea

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I read in Tommy Smiths book that Shanks didn't want the news out there that he had a broken bone. He felt if Inter knew he had a broken bone they would target him and that would make it harder to select him.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, No2 said:

I read in Tommy Smiths book that Shanks didn't want the news out there that he had a broken bone. He felt if Inter knew he had a broken bone they would target him and that would make it harder to select him.

He didn't play in the Anfield leg. Gordon Milne and Gerry paraded the FA Cup around the ground before the kick off. I wish the Kop could have a warm up like that every week.

8 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

His amateur dramatics that allowed Leicester to go on and score against us in the League Cup should have seen him hounded out for good!

I don't quite see how being fouled, going down, then eventually getting up again is 'amateur dramatics'. I know he's one of our players, and thus necessarily is less admirable or believable than other clubs' players, but it's still quite a leap to reach that damning conclusion. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 15/07/2017 at 13:07, Mascherano said:

Substituted at half time v palace, 4-0 down at half time, in the game that saw Hull relegated.

Released by celtic, did reasonably well in tbe scottish 3rd division that earned him a move to dundee (utd) before a move to hull in the championship.

Ive watched some full games. Right foot for running, quite fast but shit in almost every footballing regard.

Clichy and kolasinac both free and £8m on shit is a fucking joke as back up to milly, so i dont subscribe to the, we can suffer this shit if it gets us keita and vvd line.

Others have given their view on JM at left back and i agree with them, great professional but not a left back.

Glad this fella isn’t on our scouting team

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gkmacca said:

I don't quite see how being fouled, going down, then eventually getting up again is 'amateur dramatics'. I know he's one of our players, and thus necessarily is less admirable or believable than other clubs' players, but it's still quite a leap to reach that damning conclusion. 

Did you see it? 

35 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

So you'd have jettisoned Maradona too?

It's not a great comparison that though.  Diego is an outlier in just about every aspect possible.

Being one-footed never held him back.  Snorting cocaine didn't either.  

Being one-footed holds Robertson back massively.  I dare say railing lines off a prostitute's knockers would too.

"Well, banging ching never held Maradona back..." isn't an argument that would really carry.

9 hours ago, No2 said:

I wonder what he thought of Daniel Sturridge. Actually on second thoughts, it’s probably best we didn’t find out.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, razor said:

It's not a great comparison that though.  Diego is an outlier in just about every aspect possible.

Being one-footed holds Robertson back massively.  I dare say railing lines off a prostitute's knockers would too.

"Well, banging ching never held Maradona back..." isn't an argument that would really carry.

I think Maradona’s lifestyle made his decline start years before it should have. As it would with any player.

However many of the worlds best players have been very much one footed, including Maradona and Messi. To have a decent weaker foot is nice, no doubt, but very much an overrated attribute imo.

2 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

To have a decent weaker foot is nice, no doubt, but very much an overrated attribute imo.

I couldn't disagree more.

I refer the honourable gentleman to an earlier post: 

12 hours ago, razor said:

Robertson's problem is not his one footedness,we've had plenty at left back like that including Alan Kennedy (it didn't hold him back too much!) and a young Jamie Carragher. Robertson's biggest problem is a failure to convert great chances from positions he's got in,enough. 

The dislocation is worrying beyond the time it'll keep him out. Quite a few players, once they suffer it, find it happens again. Lawro said after he did his it was never that strong again. Mind you, his 'treatment' in those primitive times was having Ronnie Moran bang it back and then send him off for some very basic physiotherapy (and then he dislocated it again in the same season, and two weeks later they played him in the European Cup Final!). Hopefully they can give Robbo the best preventative care available.

6 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Robertson's problem is not his one footedness,we've had plenty at left back like that including Alan Kennedy (it didn't hold him back too much!) and a young Jamie Carragher. Robertson's biggest problem is a failure to convert great chances from positions he's got in,enough. 

Alan Kennedy could use his right foot more than Robbo.  But to be fair, he was an important part of a much more successful team.  

22 hours ago, Curly said:

Glad this fella isn’t on our scouting team

To be fair it seemed like Jurgen agreed with him for a good while, and it needed Moreno to have a major injury before he was forced into giving him a chance despite a lot of fans calling for it earlier.

On 10/10/2023 at 19:13, razor said:

I love this player.  I am so happy we bought him.  He's not only a great player, but he is clearly a big personality around the club.

However, I am still angry with him for the Brighton equaliser.  Well not just for the equaliser, but for the fact that as a professional footballer, he is still not able to kick the ball with his weaker foot.

The momentary lapse is forgivable - and what we get in the "asset" column far outweighs this moment - but it's an issue that needs discussion.

In 2008 we had another left-footed player who refused to kick the ball with his weaker foot.  In my opinion, it is the reason that we ended up getting knocked out of the Champions League in the semi-final, when Riise led with his head, instead of his weaker foot, to clear a ball which was coming onto his right side.  It resulted in a 94th minute own goal against Chelsea, and the rest is history.

On Saturday, the ball was coming onto Robertson's right side, yet he instinctively turned his body to face the goal in order to try to clear with his left.  He couldn't adjust in time and looked foolish.

This is just symptomatic of his unwillingness to play with two feet.

What annoys me is how much it limits not just him, but the WHOLE TEAM's play.

When the ball is on Robbo's left, he can play the whole pitch.  When it is on his right side, he has to turn his whole body in field in order to play the ball with his left.

It is incredible that it has got this far.

I think one of the reasons is that he is LEFT footed.  It is much rarer that a one-footed player is right footed.  When they were kids, right footed players are coached to build up their left.  It seems it may be less so for left-footed players as they are a much rarer commodity?

Anyway, such is my deep dissatisfaction with this state of affairs, that I bore anyone I watch a game with pointing it out.  It happens every game.  Robbo will be highly reluctant to play a 10 yard pass with his right foot (he has done it in his career, but it is incredibly rare, and he can go whole matches without touching the ball with his right foot!  Instead he will just turn inside and pass it back, or at best square, with his left).

I will hand it to Kostas - he does sometimes use his right.

And, further, such is my dissatisfaction with this state of affairs that I have taken the time to illustrate my point through imagery. (Forgive the Arsenal kit - the website I used was as limiting as Robbo's lack of ambidextrousness....)

image.png

This is what happens to the pitch when the ball is to the right of Robbo, say half a yard to his right.  It may be he received it there, intercepted it there or tackled and it fell there.  But because of his reluctance to use his right foot, he turns his whole body in field, and can only pass into the lighted areas.

image.png

If Robbo would use his right foot when the ball is to his right side, this is how much of the pitch he could use.

I can't help but think how much this limits our whole team.

He has energy to burn and a great attitude, and this makes up for many shortfalls.

But, I'll be honest, this really isn't good enough.  People who coach kids know about removing a boot so the kid HAS to play a pass with their weaker foot, and soon builds up confidence.

Honestly, if I was Jurgen, I would be really honest with Robbo and say this has to improve.  It is costing the whole team.

Great analysis 

On 14/10/2023 at 15:01, sir roger said:

To be fair it seemed like Jurgen agreed with him for a good while, and it needed Moreno to have a major injury before he was forced into giving him a chance despite a lot of fans calling for it earlier.

We have had a few players since jurgen has come in that have taken 3-6 months before they get a sniff of the field. It wasn't a concern then, just like it's not now.