You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Grenfall Tower Fire

We have 6 smoke alarms and two Carbon Monoxide alarms in our house. I check them once a fortnight, it only takes 5 minutes. They also have a built in system that lets you know if the battery is getting weak as they emit a lower peep every 30 seconds when that is the case. It's actually law over here in Germany to have smoke alarms fitted, no alarms and the insurance companies won't pay out.

A few years ago there were carbon monoxide deaths in the UK, and like now there was a call for councils to fit them as standard. They probably should, we probably all should, but sadly it still comes down to cost / priorities. Many things in the UK ought to be affordable... Decent roads, decent transport system, decent services... But we seem lacking. It all points to multi party incompetence over decades. We have neglected our infrastructure, and 'trusted' private enterprise to act with social responsibility. Naivety at best, corruption at worst.

Private enterprises won't adhere to recommendations, they need to be compelled in law. Safety in their eyes, is meeting the legal minimum.

Guest Pistonbroke

A few years ago there were carbon monoxide deaths in the UK, and like now there was a call for councils to fit them as standard. They probably should, we probably all should, but sadly it still comes down to cost / priorities. Many things in the UK ought to be affordable... Decent roads, decent transport system, decent services... But we seem lacking. It all points to multi party incompetence over decades. We have neglected our infrastructure, and 'trusted' private enterprise to act with social responsibility. Naivety at best, corruption at worst.

Sadly true. It's compulsory for landlords to supply the smoke alarms over here, only 5 notes a shot anyway, not so with CO detectors. The CO detectors used to be expensive, you can pick up quality tested ones for about 10-15 notes these days. Peace of mind more than anything. Not sure I could live with myself if anything happened to my family or neighbours for the sake of 50-60 notes for the whole lot. 

Private enterprises won't adhere to recommendations, they need to be compelled in law. Safety in their eyes, is meeting the legal minimum.

They aren't guardians they exist to make money.

Beginning to see an awful similarity to Hillsborough here.

Day after, Thatcher turns up to get the SYP and SYAS stories on the same hymn sheet, Maybot does the same with the Met and LFB.

You just know the Coroner won't admit any evidence prior to 12.50 am............

Guest Pistonbroke

Day after, Thatcher turns up to get the SYP and SYAS stories on the same hymn sheet, Maybot does the same with the Met and LFB.

You just know the Coroner won't admit any evidence prior to 12.50 am............

Things have moved on for the better mate, social media means that they can't hide the truth from everyone. 

Perhaps, but a bit insensitive no? Could probably have changed it.

No it's not. As fucking horrible as it seems life goes on. Who decides when it's ok to show films about fire on a channel that gets 0.11% of the weekly viewing figures? Someone somewhere has searched for this in an attempt to be outraged.

No it's not. As fucking horrible as it seems life goes on. Who decides when it's ok to show films about fire on a channel that gets 0.11% of the weekly viewing figures? Someone somewhere has searched for this in an attempt to be outraged.

That maybe so, but I'm curious Rico why it is that you spend an inordinate amount of time trying to offer devils advocate positions to fairly innocuous statements/sentiments?

So these coppers and firefighters are colluding with her you reckon?

• Upvote 1

That maybe so, but I'm curious Rico why it is that you spend an inordinate amount of time trying to offer devils advocate positions to fairly innocuous statements/sentiments?

When I see bullshit I have a natural reaction to shout "Bullshit". It's funny how when that reinforces someone's view it's ok, but when it challenges their view it's not.

When I see bullshit I have a natural reaction to shout "Bullshit". It's funny how when that reinforces someone's view it's ok, but when it challenges their view it's not.

I have a friend who works as a channel scheduler for one of the lesser viewed streams obtained via sky packages, she consistently informs our what'sapp group of minor things viewers pick up in discriptions so the idea that someone would point out the inappropriateness of a film at a certain time isn't beyond the realms of possibility. Though it could be people were looking out for it too.

With regards that same impulse, my bullshit geiger counter tends to go off when wealthy people think that redistribution in inequitous societies will make them worse off when in a substantive number of studies show that even the wealthiest in equal societies tend to be happier and have better mental health.

This is in part due to a reduction in fear around the notion that your livlihood and belongings will be stolen away from you by an impoverished group and also a reduction in the required avarice to keep up with those in the upper brackets of wealth within the society. People also tend to not fear a drop in living standards as much when you can see that those who have less than you aren't living in utter destituion.

• Upvote 2