You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke

Some awful shots today against a weakened attack.

True, but the ball is doing a lot, late movement (although Root played across that last delivery) staying low at times and turning for the spinner. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Unnecessary though Gordon. For me they were bad shots. Could struggle again here, unforgivable really.

Some were bad shots, Malan and Root, the others were pretty decent deliveries Mike. It's been a weird day. The only worry for me is that we manage to capitulate before end of play/early tomorrow and the conditions change to suit batting. As they are, SA will struggle to get past anything above or around the 280 mark imo mate. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Having said all that the Sun is out now and it already looks easier to bat on. Hopefully Stokes and Bairstow can make a bit of hay and then see off the new ball in 10 overs until the end of play. Not sure what average score is at Old Trafford in the first innings these days, probably around the 330 mark. 

Review against Bairstow....hang on, umpire didn't give him out, SA review and he then gives him out before reviewing. Now their is an umpire review for a catch rather than LBW, well ball hit the ground first, so fuck off SA. 

Guest Pistonbroke

SA's captain Faf du Plessis has been shit today. Takes the new ball, Stokes knicks one to third slip who wasn't their as they only went with 2 slips, not the first time either. Eng 225/5. 

Observations.

1. SA are well ahead in this game. England need at least 375 and the seamers to bowl well. It'll flatten.

2. Love Malan but he's not a test player.

3. Maharaj may be the best finger spinner in the world. Ash win, Herath and Jadeja don't have these figures in Eng & AUS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Observations.

1. SA are well ahead in this game. England need at least 375 and the seamers to bowl well. It'll flatten.

You never know until both sides have batted, but I think this will turn out to be a very good score. I think the movement will continue, but the wicket may get faster and will turn even more.

Guest Pistonbroke

Quality from Bairstow

Excellent innings, he has basically smashed 90% of the runs for this last wicket partnership of 50+ so far. Fuck, out LBW on 99, what a pissrer.

Eng all out for 369, competitive total on this wicket imo. Over to the bowlers. 

That's about the unluckiest LBW decision you'd ever see.

The benefit of the doubt going to a batsmen is no longer applicable in cricket. The benefit of the doubt now goes to technology.

I don't think batsmen can really complain given the flat wickets they mostly get to bat on these days.

Never mind the lack of quality fast bowlers.

I don't think batsmen can really complain given the flat wickets they mostly get to bat on these days.

Never mind the lack of quality fast bowlers.

I'm talking about the "principles" and conventions of cricket changing, and bemoaning a wider issue of society's slavish reliance on technology.  Not the standard of pitches and bowlers.

But yes, batsmen possibly have no cause for complaint these days.  They tend to shit themselves the second a pitch (or a bowler) is doing a bit.

That's about the unluckiest LBW decision you'd ever see.

The benefit of the doubt going to a batsmen is no longer applicable in cricket.  The benefit of the doubt now goes to technology.  And the umpire.

This "Umpires Decision" stuff is bollocks. They're shown to make the wrong decision, but it's upheld.

This "Umpires Decision" stuff is bollocks. They're shown to make the wrong decision, but it's upheld.

When a computer makes a decision with a margin of a millimetre or two, it just makes me wonder why an old cricket convention - "doubt" - can't still be invoked.

Guest Pistonbroke

The shitness of modern cricket.

It even goes beyond shitness mate, I hope they all fall asleep and wake up with severe sunburn, but no chance of that in Manchester. 

Guest Pistonbroke

SA 84/3, Kuhn caught excellently by Stokes off Ali, it was only a matter of time as Kuhn was all over the place for his 24.