You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

Fucking hell, when Hades catches up with you for that one it'll feel like you got off lightly from Johnny Cougar.

Johnny Cougar's a pussycat.  Hades might put some sort of vegan humanist wiccan spell on me.  If I go bald all of a sudden I know he's got me.  

Out of our outfield players, only Origi had fewer touches than him today. This is kind of a trend as well, most of the time he's the player who's the least involved on the pitch. When he isn't scoring a goal once every two months he does basically nothing going forward and he's not very active defensively either. He's basically a warm body in the center of the pitch who does a decent job of keeping the ball moving if it happens to find him.

Unless that's what he's been told to do - and I doubt Klopp tells him to be as passive as possible - he's been a waste of a signing thus far. 

• Upvote 1

If you can't appreciate what wijnaldum adds to the side then you don't understand football. Sorry. 

When it comes to moving the ball sideways with no imagination, no penetration, no desperation to score, Gini is a culpable as any. But he does have some flair about him. In the current squad he’d be one of the first players on my team sheet. Apart from Cou he’s our best midfielder IMO. In a better team where he’s finding his place he could well be a very good player for us. Definitely someone to keep in the summer.

Can’t get my head around the praise people seem to have towards Emre Can. He’s got a good attitude on the pitch, but his decision making is awful, his techninque is limited to say the least. When he didn’t follow Benteke’s run into the box for their 2nd yesterday it proves a lack of understanding and vision I don’t want to see in our team. A player like Milner would’ve stayed with him all the way. You simply have to see the danger coming when you let him go. Terrible! Almost as terrible as Lovren last night!

• Upvote 1

When it comes to moving the ball sideways with no imagination, no penetration, no desperation to score, Gini is a culpable as any. But he does have some flair about him. In the current squad he’d be one of the first players on my team sheet. Apart from Cou he’s our best midfielder IMO. In a better team where he’s finding his place he could well be a very good player for us. Definitely someone to keep in the summer.

Can’t get my head around the praise people seem to have towards Emre Can. He’s got a good attitude on the pitch, but his decision making is awful, his techninque is limited to say the least. When he didn’t follow Benteke’s run into the box for their 2nd yesterday it proves a lack of understanding and vision I don’t want to see in our team. A player like Milner would’ve stayed with him all the way. You simply have to see the danger coming when you let him go. Terrible! Almost as terrible as Lovren last night!

Unfortunately all of our players have huge flaws to one degree or another. Can has all of what you described above but has got a set of balls on him so it can sometimes cover up those limitations. Winjaldum seems like he has talent but never wants to take any responsibility. 

Unfortunately all of our players have huge flaws to one degree or another. Can has all of what you described above but has got a set of balls on him so it can sometimes cover up those limitations. Winjaldum seems like he has talent but never wants to take any responsibility. 

Maybe we could dismantle Can into spear parts and have his balls installed in Gini?

• 3 weeks later...

We play better with him on the pitch than Can. That's as far as my assessment goes.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Disagree. Both have their qualities and are not in direct competition. Wijnaldum is the athletic bits and pieces player,the small cog in the wheel that nobody notices and helps others function around him. I see him as our modern water carrier rather than the main man.

• Upvote 1

Quality player. He gets stronger as games go on. Physical specimen. 2 assists today.

Brilliant first season, can't wait to see how good he is next year.

Such a contrast from last week.  Hope he pushes on next year

He's been very inconsistent but we've never been bullied in midfield the way we were with Allen.

We've been out played and out thought at times but never bullied.

I like him though and think there's lots more to come.

First season ranking 7/10 - room for improvement.

• Upvote 1

Utter shit, to be so invisible in a liverpool midfield that probably has 60+% possession most matches of the season, he did it for the first 15 games of the season to totally invisible, and then there are all the huge chances he has fluffed when he finally does do something.

I think Vlad was spot on earlier. He's a modern day water carrier, but not the star. This is not to damn him with faint praise. He has a lot of athleticism, more strength than meets the eye, good technique and stamina to keep going all day. He usually gives it simple and is available for a pass. I think he can weigh in with a few more goals, and that will probably come, but for me he's well worth his place in the squad, and he has done well enough this year, with room for improvement.