You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

Remember all the shouts about a DM some time ago?

Noone's shouting anymore. Well Wijnaldum is partly responsible.

IMHO he's a very good player who'll only get better. Needs to get involved a bit more in and around the box, just like he did on Tuesday.

Think everyone has just given up on us signing one.

We've conceded more goals than Middlesbrough.

Has been a decent signing & I like him and feel he will get better when fully integrated  in the same way Lallana did.

He will score an away goal for the first time in 20 years at the weekend, you heard it here first.

I do think there should only ever be 2 from Can, Henderson and him in the midfield though.

Lively smile, tidy player, 2 nice headed goals.

Far from convincing so far.

I think he gets through a lot of work in midfield myself. Only two disappoints with him, only 2 goals so far and I thought he could weigh in with 10 plus he lacks a 'bit' of pace.

I think he gets through a lot of work in midfield myself. Only two disappoints with him, only 2 goals so far and I thought he could weigh in with 10 plus he lacks a 'bit' of pace.

He's got 3, reckon he'll get 6-7 which would be a decent return given the role he's playing in the team. I agree on the pace thing, when watching him at Newcastle he looked like a genuine flyer,  he looks a few yards slower maybe it's playing in a different position CMs seldom get to display their top speed, playing off the front is all about sprints where CM requires a different game managment, he's still our quickest midfielder by some distance.

He probably does in terms of ability and potential, but he's shown little enough yet besides some 'tidy' play and two excellent headed goals.

Need to see a lot more from him.

Yup. People's standards regarding Wijnaldum's play are very low for some reason. Maybe it's because he played for a now relegated team last season and that's affected what people perceive to be his level, but he's a talented footballer and we have to hope that he can do far better than what he's shown here thus far. 

Yup. People's standards regarding Wijnaldum's play are very low for some reason. Maybe it's because he played for a now relegated team last season and that's affected what people perceive to be his level, but he's a talented footballer and we have to hope that he can do far better than what he's shown here thus far. 

I think it's because he's been played in a completely different role to the attacking, goal-scoring midfielder we assumed he was going to be when bought.

And on that front, I think he is doing quite well, frankly.

I think it's because he's been played in a completely different role to the attacking, goal-scoring midfielder we assumed he was going to be when bought.

And on that front, I think he is doing quite well, frankly.

I disagree. At PSV he was playing in the midfield and was dynamic, could dribble players for fun and was a good finisher. For us he's basically turned into a redundant, sideways passer who shits himself when he gets near the box.

• Upvote 1

We would  be fucked without him with the other midfielders we have in there

The last run of games he missed were the wins over West Brom, Crystal Palace and Watford to send us top of the league in November.

As long as Henderson, Lallana, Mane, Coutinho and Firmino are on the pitch and in their best positions I really don't think it makes much/any difference whether you play Wijnaldum, Can or Joe Allen in the other midfield spot.

He probably does in terms of ability and potential, but he's shown little enough yet besides some 'tidy' play and two excellent headed goals.

Need to see a lot more from him.

Allen scored 4 goals in like 4 years for us. Gini is a better player than him.