You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

27 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Just caught up with this. She’s done the right thing in resigning. 

If if she did make the baseball bat comment then she’s a fool.

I do have more sympathy with a bucket of water, but only because I’ve seen first hand how devastating it can be for somebody forcefully doorstepped by journalists. It happened to a member of my family at a time when any reasonable person would have left her alone. But as an MP she needed to deal with it differently.

Swap differently for honestly and you are spot on. 

Claimng you knew nothing about your son's conviction until after the act, then it transpires you wrote to the judge for leniency? Is anyone going to defend that level of dishonesty?

I could have some sympathy if she wasn't in a party that wants to criminalise drug users.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Is decriminalisation of the use of all drugs a LD policy? I could look but you’ll know. 

Yes, the Lib Dems would decriminalise personal use of all illegal drugs, with full legalisation of cannabis.

Obviously I would like to go further than that, but it's a good first step towards a sensible drug policy.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Strontium Dog said:

Yes, the Lib Dems would decriminalise personal use of all illegal drugs, with full legalisation of cannabis.

Obviously I would like to go further than that, but it's a good first step towards a sensible drug policy.

Yeah, agree. Making criminals out of those with a medical concern isn’t sensible. 

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

It comes with the territory. All MPs, of every political stripe, will get pressured for comment when they’re in the spotlight. I don’t know why it’s so hard to admit she’s fucked up without trying to qualify it.

I'm not denying she's fucked up. I'm just bemused by your apparent view of hacks' behaviour.  They're not nice people; nor are they impartial. They wouldn't hound a Tory front-bencher for what a family member had done. And the way they harass people, they fully deserve to be told to fuck off once in a while.

27 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm not denying she's fucked up. I'm just bemused by your apparent view of hacks' behaviour.  They're not nice people; nor are they impartial. They wouldn't hound a Tory front-bencher for what a family member had done. And the way they harass people, they fully deserve to be told to fuck off once in a while.

I’ve neither said, or think, that hacks are nice. And she went a bit further than just saying fuck off. Tory and Labour MPs get doorstepped all the time. Michael Crick has made a living out of it.

Say a reporter ‘ harasses ‘ Trump over his dodgy dealings and Trump threatens to beat him up with a baseball bat, throws a bucket of water over him and calls the police for stalking him. I think you’d have a very different view on that and your sympathy would be for the journalist. 

Threatening journalists is not acceptable in a civilised society, even if they are doorstepping you. And I haven’t seen any claims that they did anything that overstepped the mark, maybe you have?

51 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I’ve neither said, or think, that hacks are nice. And she went a bit further than just saying fuck off. Tory and Labour MPs get doorstepped all the time. Michael Crick has made a living out of it.

Say a reporter ‘ harasses ‘ Trump over his dodgy dealings and Trump threatens to beat him up with a baseball bat, throws a bucket of water over him and calls the police for stalking him. I think you’d have a very different view on that and your sympathy would be for the journalist. 

Threatening journalists is not acceptable in a civilised society, even if they are doorstepping you. And I haven’t seen any claims that they did anything that overstepped the mark, maybe you have?

Lots of things that aren't acceptable in a civilised society are nevertheless understandable when people's families are being harassed.

Either she decided, out of the blue, to threaten someone who asked her some personally reasonable questions or she flipped her lid at a cunt who was... well, who was acting like a Murdoch hack. I suspect it may be the latter.

Maybe she should have done what Boris Johnson did and just made some tea to placate the hacks. If it worked for him, there's no reason it wouldn't work for a black, female leftie.

1. Was any attempt made to raise the issue with the Labour press office first, yesterday?

2. From the quote in the Times report that I’ve seen, the reporter attended at her home address last night. That means he went to a private residence after hours of darkness.

3. This was not a one-off as the Times have been running with it since October.

4. From what I’ve seen of Michael Crick doorstepping people he does it on the pavement in the street, or at official venues and visits.

5. The Trump example is a false equivalence. The CNN issue took place in the White House press room, and if you attempted to knock on the door of Trump’s private residence the Secret Service would do a damn site more than throw some water over you.

6. Journalists should be allowed to ask questions, but that doesn’t give them a free pass on their own behaviour.

7. She was campaigning in Edmonton today so doorstepping opportunities were in abundance. Why not do it there instead of going to her home after dark?

8. I’m not excusing any stupid threats, but let’s not pretend the press are always shining bastions of fair play, any more than MPs always exhibit model behaviour.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Anubis said:

1. Was any attempt made to raise the issue with the Labour press office first, yesterday?

Don’t know, irrelevant and doesn’t excuse her behaviour. 

2. From the quote in the Times report that I’ve seen, the reporter attended at her home address last night. That means he went to a private residence after hours of darkness.

Yes, same as I’ve seen journalists outside Corbyns house at all hours. It gets dark about tea time now so I don’t see how that is relevant either. 

3. This was not a one-off as the Times have been running with it since October.

If the Times reports are true then she’s lied about her involvement and carried on paying her son out of the public purse after his conviction. It’s an ongoing situation so I’ve no issue with the reporting. 

4. From what I’ve seen of Michael Crick doorstepping people he does it on the pavement in the street, or at official venues and visits.

I’ve seen him outside people’s homes, and even if he hasn’t it’s a common journalistic practice that will have happened to MPs from all sides of the house.

5. The Trump example is a false equivalence. The CNN issue took place in the White House press room, and if you attempted to knock on the door of Trump’s private residence the Secret Service would do a damn site more than throw some water over you.

I’m not comparing what happened here to the CNN issue. I’m stating that it Trump had done what she did he’d be vilified. Swap Trump for Gove or IDS and the point is the same.

6. Journalists should be allowed to ask questions, but that doesn’t give them a free pass on their own behaviour.

Dealing with journalists is part of her job. If they’ve done anything illegal, which I doubt, in knocking on her door then she should contact the police. 

7. She was campaigning in Edmonton today so doorstepping opportunities were in abundance. Why not do it there instead of going to her home after dark?

No idea, how big is Edmonton and how easy would she be to find? I don’t know what time the story broke, but again I don’t see how that excuses her behaviour. 

8. I’m not excusing any stupid threats, but let’s not pretend the press are always shining bastions of fair play, any more than MPs always exhibit model behaviour.

I’m not pretending that. My view is she’s a public figure, there are legitimate questions in the public interest she should answer and journalists are entitled to ask them. Whether they’ve knocked at nighttime or pissed her off her response is indefensible.

That’s my final word on it. No point repeating myself.

1 minute ago, Stickman said:

It's a pity the Times didn't show the same diligence in holding the Tory party to account in having  Amber Rudd back in the cabinet only a few months after overseeing the Windrush scandal . 

Why did she resign in the first place? Wouldn’t be because of huge pressure from the press would it? Osamor will probably be back in the shadow cabinet within six months.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog said:

Politicians should be held to account, unless they are Labour politicians, in which case it's just bullying (see also: Chakrabarti on Marr)

She broke your heart when you found out she's not a Lib Dem, didn't she.

You've got to move on, mate. She has.

12 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Why did she resign in the first place? Wouldn’t be because of huge pressure from the press would it? Osamor will probably be back in the shadow cabinet within six months.

If she is I very much doubt it will be met with the deafening silence within the Murdoch media that Rudd's return was.

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Alright Jim Jones, you believe that if you want, I’ll carry on believing that the press should be able to ask questions in the public interest of elected officials without being threatened by violence.

Jim Jones?

Weirdo.

As you know, nobody is denying the press the right to ask questions.  I've nothing more to add.

Owen Jones is doing my head in over this. Seems to be suggesting that she's been hounded out because she's a black woman and that the war on drugs is stupid anyway so it's okay. The level of hypocrisy is off the scale.

First off, the national union of journalists has condemned her actions. If you can't hold your nerve when being faced down by journalists you've got no place being in public office.

He's quick to condemn violence and ridicule of journalists by politicians in other countries but not this, because the times isn't a left wing paper. 

He also moans about media and political elites and closed shops, yet this fine fellow not only found his way onto a Labour council, but also into a job as her senior communications officer- I'd be interested to know what qualified him for such a role. 

Also, whether Jones agrees with the 'failed war on drugs' or not is by the bye, he took two and a half grands worth of ket and other shit into a festival and it's against the law, and of. Sometimes when I'm out and I need a piss I wish I could pull my pants down in the street and do one there and then, but I don't, because it's not allowed. I may think that unfair and stupid, it is nevertheless, the case.

• Upvote 2