You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lucas

Kevin D

I'd be surprised if Klopp analysed the entire performance of a player and then decided that because he gave away a freekick 30 yards from goal that overrides everything else. Mainly because that would be really fucking stupid. Similarly, the idea of "cost us the game" is just as fucking ridiculous as saying Gerrard "cost us the title". A game is played over 90 minutes (or 120 as it was last night), as a season is over 38 games.

What would it have taken to say Benteke cost us the game? One of the chances he should have buried happening right at the end?

It's such a strange, and simplistic to the point of idiocy, way of summing up a football match. 

Almost 100% in agreement with this mate, but I feel that we don't want to be getting on Benteke's back too much at this stage. That was, as far as I've seen, his best all round display. He held the ball, battled, bullied and the interplay with Sturridge and Origi was excellent. Each one did the job they were there for. I was really positive and would love to see us play with 2 of that 3 regularly.

He is obviously lacking confidence, so could do with encouragement for the positives rather than castigation for his mistakes. That way, maybe we will see him coming away with 2 or 3 goals after a game like last night.

• Upvote 1

Almost 100% in agreement with this mate, but I feel that we don't want to be getting on Benteke's back too much at this stage. That was, as far as I've seen, his best all round display. He held the ball, battled, bullied and the interplay with Sturridge and Origi was excellent. Each one did the job they were there for. I was really positive and would love to see us play with 2 of that 3 regularly.

He is obviously lacking confidence, so could do with encouragement for the positives rather castigation. That way, maybe we will see him coming away with 2 or 3 goals after a game like last night.

That's fair enough, and I admit his all round play was better than usual. But he's set the bar so low that I feel people are offering praise out of shock more than anything else. It really wasn't a performance that most Championship strikers wouldn't be capable of. Put yourself about and pass it to your teammates. Personally, I don't think he's worth persevering with. I think that playing a striker that misses lots of easy chances, and whose all round game is usually utterly abysmal, seriously limits the chances of winning football matches. I'd rather Firmino played up front, I'd rather Origi did, and of course I'd rather Sturridge did. 

Something that really worries me about Benteke, and to be fair he isn't the only one, is the complete lack of fire. He should be coming off the pitch angry not sad. So many of our players cut such a pathetic figure. Bewildering that they've managed to get this far in their career.

• Upvote 1

Lucas played well tonight apart from the error which cost us the match. He did keep giving the ball away too, but I'd much rather see him play at CB than in midfield. He just needs to cut the costly errors out, improve his distribution and he needs the kids in front of him to protect the back four. He's nowhere near as good as Sakho at CB IMO.

Dont think giving away a free kick(which wasnt a free kick) 40 yards out and on the touchline cost us the match. What cost us the match was an inability to defend a floated cross that was in the air for ages and a half decent centre half would have cleared. For what we usually apply to corners read 'relatively harmless free kick.'

He played really well and organised those around him as best he could. Shame he gave away that free kick at the end.

As TK says, it's telling that we looked at least as solid without any of the rest of Mignolet's regular clown car passengers.

Yeah, there is a definite circus performers guild going on with our goal prevention team.

I would keep Flanno and Clyne as full backs, either works and are able to swap, Lucas and maybe Skrtel when fit.

I might just stop picking a keeper. It's pointless. Mig punching that floated header as he ran about his 6 yard box in the second half was unreal. Plus, did anyone notice the goal kick he took and actually managed to mis-read the positioning of the ball? He ended up straight over it with his body all twisted trying to adjust and it ended up out for a throw in our own half. I couldn't fucking believe it. He put the ball there himself and had an unopposed journey from his chosen starting point to where he had chosen to put the ball. The guy isn't quite right. I imagine a conversation between him and Moreno isn't the easiest to follow.

I refer the right honourable members to my recent comparrissons with the Roy Evans era. (1) team is shit (2) square peg comes in and does a decent job (3) maybe square peg is the answer! (4) Square peg is found wanting in next game (5) Depression sets in again.

Good players in the right position - it's so simple, so easy * said in a Bane voice * 

Ooh look Sami Hyypia and Dietmar Hamann at CB and DM respectively, I wonder what will happen here - shock horror, we've become more solid and less shite! 

El Jeffe and Xabi up against the Chelsea midfield instead of Jay Spearing and Nosferatu, pray tell - we didn't get a midfield buttfucking! What manner of sorcery is this!

Stop buying shite, clear out the existing shite, no reprieve for shit players - line in the sand - shit players be gone! 

• Upvote 5

I refer the right honourable members to my recent comparrissons with the Roy Evans era. (1) team is shit (2) square peg comes in and does a decent job (3) maybe square peg is the answer! (4) Square peg is found wanting in next game (5) Depression sets in again.

Good players in the right position - it's so simple, so easy * said in a Bane voice * 

Ooh look Sami Hyypia and Dietmar Hamann at CB and DM respectively, I wonder what will happen here - shock horror, we've become more solid and less shite! 

El Jeffe and Xabi up against the Chelsea midfield instead of Jay Spearing and Nosferatu, pray tell - we didn't get a midfield buttfucking! What manner of sorcery is this!

Stop buying shite, clear out the existing shite, no reprieve for shit players - line in the sand - shit players be gone! 

El Jeffe was converted from a holding midfielder to one of the best centre backs in the world. I say roll with the Lucas experiment. It can't be any worse than Lovren running about in his Ronald McDonald outfit, pouting and telling the fans they regret doubting him as he is now showing everyone how awesome he is. I'd never pick that cunt again. I'd play my missus before I'd play that whopper.

El Jeffe was converted from a holding midfielder to one of the best centre backs in the world. I say roll with the Lucas experiment. It can't be any worse than Lovren running about in his Ronald McDonald outfit, pouting and telling the fans they regret doubting him as he is now showing everyone how awesome he is. I'd never pick that cunt again. I'd play my missus before I'd play that whopper.

Different scenario. Steven Gerrard was the best right back we've ever had. Great players can adapt. There's a big difference between trying out average players in different positions because the ones you've got there are shite. 

Any time he's played centre back he's been surprisingly excellent.

I've never been surprised by it TBH.

He's always been the best header of a ball in the side, continually wins aerial duals against taller centre mids.

He reads the game well, is always talking, is always looking to move the ball quickly, loves a tackle.

I'm more surprised that he hasn't been playing in defence for longer.

I hate him in midfield but love him in defence. He's hands down the best centre back at the club.

And why not be looking at that model? Barca did it with Mascherano, Bayern do it with that Spanish lad when he's fit, it makes absolute sense to use quality footballers as centre backs and not just pack your defence with grocks like Skrtel and Sakho and then be surprised when your team isn't playing good football on the deck.

Lucas' only problem is his lack of pace, but that's why you partner him with pace, as Klopp did with Illori.

• Upvote 2

What have we got to lose playing him at CB in the league? top 4 was over when we lost to United. May as well throw him on at CB and see whether he offers more than Sakho and Lovren. He's certainly got better positional awareness and his tackling is better based on the amount of interceptions he has. Much better on the ball as well.