You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal v Liverpool FA Cup 5th round

Megadrive Man

If he was called Emilio Flanagua I'm not sure he'd have banked quite so much credit. Johnson's lame form has not made Flanagan the answer unfortunately.

I back him because he isn't a shit house and would run though a brick wall for the club, something which Emilio Flanagua probably wouldn't do.

Because it's a public football forum on the internet and I'm entitled to voice my opinion that Brad Jones is shit if I want to. Fact is the first goal came from him bottling a catch which Mignolet would have made. To be fair my gran would have made that and she's been dead since 1995.

You musn't watch us that much then because Mignolet doesn't command his area very well, at all.  And his catching is for the most part, shite.

I back him because he isn't a shit house and would run though a brick wall for the club, something which Emilio Flanagua probably wouldn't do.

Liverpool's right back needs to have excellent ability not just a local upbringing and a run all-day attitude. He's a back up option for me at his current level, he doesn't look technically strong enough either defensively or going forward.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

5.00pm kick off in the final's(yawwwn!!) just part of the reason i wasn't that bothered and would echo all who say last weeks result was of far more importance...

"Best team lost" and all that

When the final whistle blew yesterday, Daniel Sturridge slumped to the turf near the centre circle and sat down hard, in the end Sturridge dragged himself up and walked towards the Liverpool fans, climbed over the barriers, took off his shirt and handed it to a supporter who had made the long journey down from Merseyside. [Mirror].

When you've won a lot of cups, I can see the novelty wearing off, but for most clubs, it's the most prestigious trophy they can ever win.

That's what... 95% of clubs?... the most prestigious trophy they can ever realistically dream about is the FA cup.

i think it's lost a lot of its allure over the last 20 years, but cup final day for those involved is still a very special occasion.

I've stood there with my lad, and thought "when I'm gone, and he's a lot older... he'll remember this day"... and I strongly believe that. So to my mind, it's still pretty special.

For Liverpool (past masters of the FA cup) I can see how it's not that big a deal, esp when it MIGHT be a hindrance to CL qualification. But still, I think 'concentrating on the league' is putting a positive slant on matters after the fact.

Both teams wanted to win yesterday. No doubt about it.

Liverpool's right back needs to have excellent ability not just a local upbringing and a run all-day attitude. He's a back up option for me at his current level, he doesn't look technically strong enough either defensively or going forward.

Time will tell and you may prove to be right in hindsight but this was almost word for word what a lot of our own were saying about Carragher until he came back after the broken leg

Still gutted about this, my lad (8) was in tears when we lost, took me about an hour to calm him down, had to give it the old "it's just a game, don't get too upset, the missus was unbearable, what's he crying for, however inside I was proud that he has the passion for it. And then what, have a gander on the old FB, to see one of the mates say, he hoped we loose (before kick off) so we could concentrate on the league.

Trophies, that is what defines a club, we didn't tell the mancs to come back when "they'd qualified for the Champions League", no we told them to do it when they'd won it 18 times, despite the fact it bit us, it's all about silverware in the cabinet, and despite everything, this season is another where we don't get anything, I just pray to god that when we do qualify for the CL, we don't do Arsenal style celebrations on the pitch at the end of the season.

• Upvote 6

Trophies, that is what defines a club, we didn't tell the mancs to come back when "they'd qualified for the Champions League", no we told them to do it when they'd won it 18 times, despite the fact it bit us, it's all about silverware in the cabinet, and despite everything, this season is another where we don't get anything, I just pray to god that when we do qualify for the CL, we don't do Arsenal style celebrations on the pitch at the end of the season.

Sums it up perfectly, great post.

• Upvote 1

Still gutted about this, my lad (8) was in tears when we lost, took me about an hour to calm him down, had to give it the old "it's just a game, don't get too upset, the missus was unbearable, what's he crying for, however inside I was proud that he has the passion for it. And then what, have a gander on the old FB, to see one of the mates say, he hoped we loose (before kick off) so we could concentrate on the league.

Of course qualifying for the CL isn't winning a trophy but its impact on the club - rightly or wrongly - is greater than winning the FA cup. And qualifying for the CL should be celebrated by fans and players alike. Probably not like the Arsenal players did, though. That was a bit embarrassing.

Of course qualifying for the CL isn't winning a trophy but its impact on the club - rightly or wrongly - is greater than winning the FA cup. And qualifying for the CL should be celebrated by fans and players alike. Probably not like the Arsenal players did, though. That was a bit embarrassing.

Tom I don't disagree with what you are saying, and of course I'll be delighted when we qualify for the CL. My point was that someone calling themselves a fan, hoped we'd lose to help qualify for CL.

If the choice was win the Cup, or another season without CL! I'd go for the trophy everytime. Of course I'm a greedy bastard and I want the league, FA Cup, League Cup and CL, with the community shield thrown in for good measure....

The FA cup was a bonus game as far as I'm concerned. Leading up to the two Arsenal games I didn't think we'd have it in us to win both games because despite what some people think Arsenal are a top team, so given the choice I absolutely would have gone for 3 points over a quarter final.

I really think some people don't realise how important top 4 is this season. We fail and Luis almost certainly leaves and we are in a weakened position replace him. If we get top 4 even if Luis leaves (and that may still happen even with CL) we can offer replacements CL football.

We fail to make CL the team that does make top can offer the top players something we can't.

So with all due respect to the FA Cup we have bigger fish to fry. With our long term future in the balance we can't allow any distractions from achieving that goal.

• Upvote 1

The FA cup was a bonus game as far as I'm concerned. Leading up to the two Arsenal games I didn't think we'd have it in us to win both games because despite what some people think Arsenal are a top team, so given the choice I absolutely would have gone for 3 points over a quarter final.

I really think some people don't realise how important top 4 is this season. We fail and Luis almost certainly leaves and we are in a weakened position replace him. If we get top 4 even if Luis leaves (and that may still happen even with CL) we can offer replacements CL football.

We fail to make CL the team that does make top can offer the top players something we can't.

So with all due respect to the FA Cup we have bigger fish to fry. With our long term future in the balance we can't allow any distractions from achieving that goal.

Spot on. With Man Utd faltering, City, Chelsea and Everton having new managers and Spurs having been pegged back after the Villas Boas business, this is the season for us to take back that champions league spot, to attract better players in the summer and to earn more money - all things which will make us a stronger club with a better chance of winning more trophies and not just the odd FA cup every few years.

• Upvote 1