You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

On 22/05/2024 at 14:55, clockspeed said:

What I don't get is everyone seemed on board with players who haven't contributed 10% of what MO has done getting extentions . I actually thought  many were sentimental Jurgen calls rather than good footballing decisions.  Leaving on a free or not , Mo deserves to exit on his own terms . He has at least 2 more years left at PL level . Whatever fans opinions, he remains our best finisher based on data alone . You just don't discard players with that sort of record . 

The problem is two-fold; he has been far better than the other 4 forwards in terms of production, which is commendable and why I had trouble criticizing him for large parts of the season, but he has gradually become a negative at everything else. 

He was in player of the season form pre injury

Pre Afcon in the league

20 games

14 goals 

8 assists

Post Afcon in the league

12 games

4 goals

2 assists

It's exactly what happened after the last AFCM when they ran him into the ground

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

In a effort to get back his pace Mo has shaved his head to get rid of any wind resistance 

Screenshot_20240524_121354_X.jpg

He was going very thin on top in those close up camera angles when on the pitch. Looks good on him. If it's real of course.

On 22/05/2024 at 16:53, Barnesey said:

Apparently, his shirt sales pay his wages several times over. Difficult to let him go. And he was brilliant before AFCON. 

I find that hard to believe. He's on around £300k a week, shirts about £100 each. Thats 150,000 shirts a year.

47 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

I find that hard to believe. He's on around £300k a week, shirts about £100 each. Thats 150,000 shirts a year.

It can't be. Remember reading something about Messi when he had come to Miami - Salah sold 4th most in world behind FakeR and Lewandowski.

He sold 800k but the club gets only a percentage of the retail.

4 hours ago, Lee909 said:

In a effort to get back his pace Mo has shaved his head to get rid of any wind resistance 

Going for a Benzema look before his move to Saudi. 

22 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I guess that’s one way to make yourself stand out to your new bald manager.

21 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Lfc gets no more than 10-20% of each shirt sold. 

Never watched this game back before but popped in my recommended on YouTube last night. 

I forgot just how good Salah was, he was frightening. He was so direct and the speed and ability was brilliant in full flight. Easy to remember the bad times but shouldn't forget what made us so good, great player in his peak years.

5 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Never watched this game back before but popped in my recommended on YouTube last night. 

I forgot just how good Salah was, he was frightening. He was so direct and the speed and ability was brilliant in full flight. Easy to remember the bad times but shouldn't forget what made us so good, great player in his peak years.

Lots of people forget. Most of them clueless and post here

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Villa game is a prime example. He was really good, yet on here he should be sold. He did so many one touch passes inside from his position but it's either ignored or not seen. 

6 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

'Was' may be the operative word there. That was five seasons ago. Not many players improve or stay the same in that time period.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

'Was' may be the operative word there. That was five seasons ago. Not many players improve or stay the same in that time period.

But the great Mo Salah did. 

On 22/05/2024 at 14:58, TheHowieLama said:

Said awhile ago the club would be doing good business by agreeing a year extension under the current terms.

Not sure Salah would accept that.

If that were an option I have little doubt that Edwards would offer it to him in an instant.

As you say, the problem is Mo wouldn't take it. He's probably got one more big contract to sign, so he's not going to make it a one year deal and then get a much lower deal at age 34 when even Saudi would just offer him 100k/week. He'll be after something that pays him something like 200k/week until he's 35-36, and he'll probably get it. Just not from us.

So the only question that remains is how much we'd accept for him this summer. Would we prefer to pay him 15m for this upcoming season and then lose him on a free, just to ensure that we don't have a big dropoff next season under Slot? Or does someone offer us 100m and Hughes and Edwards tally up what we could get on the market for that and take the hit on next season to set us up better for 2026 and beyond?