You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Based on reports, we could be potentially signing Aspas (nailed on), Alberto and Llori all this week.

All the other links, Tevez, Kone and Jeffren smell like bullshit, even more so given the sources.

Think Aspas will do well for us based on what I've seen. Alberto and Llori are more for the future, but have the talent to go into the first team squad.

• Downvote 1

I wonder if its our side that its holding up the process example outgoing players on holidays, or negotiations are slow.

I hate to think that some of our incoming transfers are dependent on selling players, I mean we do have SOME money.

The Papa transfer is definitely linked to Carroll going to West Ham being finalised. A few reliable sources have said he's our number 1 defensive target.

Based on reports, we could be potentially signing Aspas (nailed on), Alberto and Llori all this week.

All the other links, Tevez, Kone and Jeffren smell like bullshit, even more so given the sources.

Think Aspas will do well for us based on what I've seen. Alberto and Llori are more for the future, but have the talent to go into the first team squad.

There's no fucking way we'd be paying £8m for Alberto if we're just gonna put him in the reserves.

Its really weird.

We seem to have more hope for these players than we had for any of the summer signings of Dalglish and Rodgers of the past two seasons.

Why is this?

Is it because that deep down we all know that for heart and determination you buy English, but for skill and guile you go foreign?

Is it any surprise that the PL stars that are lauded across the country mainly come from overseas?

Some our fans just love being dramatic.

Please tell me that there is no quality or experience in the following:

Aspas, Luis Alberto, Ince, Mkhitaryan, Papadopoulos and Toure.

This is a young team we are building and I doubt that we will not see fruit to our labours even as early as next season.

Also don't forget Sterling, Ibe, Kelly, Wisdom, Suso etc.

Lets keep things in perspective

Aspas has one season at the top level with twelve goals at the age of 25

Luis Alberto has played seven games at the top level

Ince has played one game at the top level in the league cup

Mkhitaryan is supposedly quality but has played in the Ukranian league.

Papadoupolous doesnt look like happening due to his injuries.

Toure is past his best years.

Dont get be wrong but these players may become the players we need /adapt/raise their game/deal with the system but stating that they have quality or experience to play for us is up for debate.

If we dont see fruit of our labours next season, I think Rodgers will be in trouble.

Two weeks now Ayre is trying to sign a player, who wants to play for Liverpool, has said openly he's coming to Liverpool, we had a fee agreed for him and the genius just can't get it done. Did he find out Aspas' real agents, or he still speaking to the wrong ones?

Two weeks now Ayre is trying to sign a player, who wants to play for Liverpool, has said openly he's coming to Liverpool, we had a fee agreed for him and the genius just can't get it done. Did he find out Aspas' real agents, or he still speaking to the wrong ones?

Are you getting exasperated at the lack of new signings three weeks before the window opens?

I disagree. We have already signed Toure who will have pretty much no sell on value. We have signed Aspas who is 25 and therefore pretty much in his prime. The other players we have been linked with may have resale value, but they are also quality players (Alberto, Mkhitaryan, Papadopoulos) who I would be very happy to have. I don't know what your standard is for "the type of players we need" but it would be appear to be quite different from mine, so I suppose there's no point arguing about it.

As for your second question, the likes of Coutinho and Sturridge will probably be off within a couple of years if we don't make progress by then. But it's kind of strange logic to assume that we will finish as also rans when we have quality players who will leave if we finish as also rans.

How do you know Luis Alberto is a quality player? He's play at a level that's probably lower than the Championship and Barcelona have just turned down the chance to take him.

The Papa transfer is definitely linked to Carroll going to West Ham being finalised. A few reliable sources have said he's our number 1 defensive target.

I hope Carroll gets moving after West Ham have reportedly offered him wages of 100k, although don't know how far true that is.

The Blueshite have their collective little hearts set on Kone, and I, for one, would hate to stand in their way.

I don't think Kone is a bad option as a stop-gap measure on say a two year contract. Not a replacement for Suarez of course if he leaves but as a support striker. We should get him on the cheap too.

A post from another website with regards to the Aspas predicament:

One of the problems is that "agents" or "representatives" will tell a club that they can broker a deal for a player when they have no contract to represent that player. Another is a player who was previously represented by an agent can find that agent subsequently making a claim on his transfer when they may not have had contact for years. Another is an ex-employee of an agency making a claim for work he previously did with a player. The rules about licensed agents have been tightened up. It is much better than it was and clubs are certainly looking to reduce what they spend on agents, representatives, sharks and other intermediaries - which last year totalled around 28% of the total transfer fees for cross boarder (international) transactions. This is another reason I try and avoid discussing money - folks simply cannot grasp the costs involved.

Taking Liverpool as an example, in the past three seasons the club has spent a shade under £25M on agent/representative fees alone.

Its really weird.

We seem to have more hope for these players than we had for any of the summer signings of Dalglish and Rodgers of the past two seasons.

Why is this?

Is it because that deep down we all know that for heart and determination you buy English, but for skill and guile you go foreign?

Is it any surprise that the PL stars that are lauded across the country mainly come from overseas?

Digger just finished saying this on Talksport, but only better and in more detail!

Another interesting post on Soldado.

Liverpool did previously show some interest in Soldado as did Napoli, Milan and PSG. However, Valencia wanted him to stay and he signed a new deal in last summer. Spurs are interested now but I suspect he will stay another season in Spain.

Whilst Valencia's Sofiane Feghouli was stalling on signing a new contract in January, his agents were scurrying around looking for interest in the player as leverage or as an alternative to Valencia should he be sold. A number of high-profile clubs were approached to see if they would be interested in the player but it would be nothing but speculation on my part to suggest serious interest of not. Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Liverpool and Southampton (and probably others) were invited to take a look at the player but he was to depart for the ACON. However, Paris Saint-Germain has made more than one approach for the player but were told that he is not available. Since then a new contract has been agreed with Valencia and if they were to sell in the summer because of financial difficulties then they would look for a couple of teams to be keen enough to push up the price - otherwise they will look to hold on to the player - even though he wants to leave.

Apparently they had paperwork to prove they were his agents.

How real it was or whether Ayre can actually read Spnaish I don't know but it looks like the vultures started to circle the moment a transfer for Aspas was on. So we are now having to find out who is the legit agent.

We could end up buying him and then the agents battle it out in court for their slice of the fee.