You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Swansea Carling Cup match thread

fowler9

Although it never crossed my mind I do quite like the idea of giving Henderson a full game at right back in a game like this

He played that role last season vs Blackburn when we went down to 10 men and did well.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henderson has done really well when used all season.

He is pushing for a first team place IMO, especially with Sahin looking anonymous in some games.

He's still behind Shelvey too at the moment, but I think Henderson is benefitting from the spotlight being off him this year. Ideally we should have used him more sporadically last season, but he seemed to be our first choice on the right of midfield.

He was excellent in his last season at Sunderland, so the ability is clearly there. I think he struggled under the weight of expectation last year.

I'd play him alongside Shelvey in front of Allen in this game.

I really hope we give Assaidi and either Morgan or Yessil a start in this game too.

He's still behind Shelvey too at the moment, but I think Henderson is benefitting from the spotlight being off him this year. Ideally we should have used him more sporadically last season, but he seemed to be our first choice on the right of midfield.

He was excellent in his last season at Sunderland, so the ability is clearly there. I think he struggled under the weight of expectation last year.

I'd play him alongside Shelvey in front of Allen in this game.

I really hope we give Assaidi and either Morgan or Yessil a start in this game too.

Yeah. If by that you mean "hardly playing" I think it's fair to say we've benefited also.

The first-choice midefielders are Gerrard, Allen and Shelevy. We need one more quality "destroyer" to add to that list.

That leaves Lucas and Henderson as back-up, I don't expect Sahin to stay, but that's no great loss on the evidence so far, he's slow, lacking in presence, doesn't work hard enough and shouldn't be in the first XI.

Lucas is going to be first choice Silverlining. Rodgers has said as much, as he wants to use Allen higher up the pitch where he said he is 50% better.

Yeah, he's said that. He's said lots of things.

I wonder if he'll still be saying it when he gets fired.

We've needed an imposing, mobile, midfield general to take control of midfields since Gerrard moved up and wide.

Maybe Gerrard can now do it - he has all the tools - but I'd be delighted if we bought Tiote, Wanyama or some other similar type.

Allen is fine, a tidy water-carrier who would thrive with the right players next to him.

I'd prefer to see Henderson get a chance in midfield instead of right back but he deserves a game. I'd agree with LFD, he's played better in the limited games he's had this season. One thing he will do at right back is get up and down the pitch all night, not sure what he's like defensively though.

Can't understand why Pacheco isn't starting. He was terrific in the last round away at West Brom and played great and scored against Man City reserves last week.

He also works his socks off, chasing all over the pitch closing down defenders.

Yesil still looks very raw to me.

Hope Sinclair comes on at some point, there are high hopes for him he is very classy

the wig is saying 5 stations announced for broadcast but could change. need less to say it would be wise to start watching early

Yup that's where I looked too. Will hopefully be on sopcast as flash streams will be poxy with everyone on them. A quick heads up to those on a mac and didn't already know, you can now get a mac version of sopcast and it rules. Some of the Russian streams on there are better than the skygo link and the commentary is much less annoying too.

Yeah. If by that you mean "hardly playing" I think it's fair to say we've benefited also.

The first-choice midefielders are Gerrard, Allen and Shelevy. We need one more quality "destroyer" to add to that list.

That leaves Lucas and Henderson as back-up, I don't expect Sahin to stay, but that's no great loss on the evidence so far, he's slow, lacking in presence, doesn't work hard enough and shouldn't be in the first XI.

Lucas as back-up? Are you on the wacky backy again?

Can't understand why Pacheco isn't starting. He was terrific in the last round away at West Brom and played great and scored against Man City reserves last week.

Hope Sinclair comes on at some point, there are high hopes for him he is very classy

Sinclair wont be in the squad.

He's in Germany for the next gen game against dortmund.

fully agree on Pacheco, I did think he had probably blown his chance of making it here but then he was good in pre-season, not great at Young Boys but he is never going to be a lone striker and then did well against West Brom and no sight of him since in the first team