You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

9 hours ago, an tha said:

So I have been ticking over running - just getting out about 4 times a week, but only shortish runs 30/40 mins - think longest i have done since marathon is 70 mins.

It looks like I will be running the Berlin Marathon next year though.....

You must have enjoyed it, already planning another.

6 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

You must have enjoyed it, already planning another.

I did - it was boss.

I can't say i am looking forward to 16 weeks or so of hard training again and long 3 hour runs in hot weather on own etc...but the pay off of the experience is ultimately worth it.

• 1 month later...

Good end to the year this week. At the start of the year, I set myself a target of 2500km for the year - reached that at the end of October so revised my target to 3000km and hit that on Tuesday. Also, completely unplanned at the start of the year but the longer the year has gone on it became a target - today’s run meant that I have ran at least 5km every day in 2022! To cap it off, today’s run was at my local parkrun and I managed to shave 3 seconds of my PB as well, clocking 22:22. Feeling pretty chuffed!

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, GR10 LFC said:

Good end to the year this week. At the start of the year, I set myself a target of 2500km for the year - reached that at the end of October so revised my target to 3000km and hit that on Tuesday. Also, completely unplanned at the start of the year but the longer the year has gone on it became a target - today’s run meant that I have ran at least 5km every day in 2022! To cap it off, today’s run was at my local parkrun and I managed to shave 3 seconds of my PB as well, clocking 22:22. Feeling pretty chuffed!

Nice work that is what 30 odd miles a week on average (I don't work in km)?

Might set self a target like that for 2023 

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Nice work that is what 30 odd miles a week on average (I don't work in km)?

Might set self a target like that for 2023 

Yeah, around 36 miles a week. I work from home so usually do a 7km (4.5 mile) route around Croxteth Park (on my doorstep) on my lunch hour and then up it at the weekends to anything over 10km (usually around 7-8 miles). 
Return to the office was a challenge, I work in Manchester so have found a couple of routes along the canals (usually upto the Etihad and back). 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GR10 LFC said:

Bit lazy- https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/dec/31/cumbrian-man-gary-mckee-completes-mission-of-running-marathon-every-day-in-2022

• Upvote 1

My cousin has ran every day for the last 3 years. 1250 miles this year but he's had covid twice and still ran and also got married and went on honeymoon. He's 48 and could pass for 35. He also decided have a charity boxing match. They put him against a bloke at 42 who he comfortably beat. Although he did used to box and trained boxers as well

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GR10 LFC said:

Yeah, around 36 miles a week. I work from home so usually do a 7km (4.5 mile) route around Croxteth Park (on my doorstep) on my lunch hour and then up it at the weekends to anything over 10km (usually around 7-8 miles). 
Return to the office was a challenge, I work in Manchester so have found a couple of routes along the canals (usually upto the Etihad and back). 

Good effort that....not sure i could do that many miles a week and I like to think I am a decent runner now after all the miles put in over last couple of years and of course in training for and running the London Marathon.

I might set myself 25 a week to start with and see how it goes....I am still hanging onto WFH but got a feeling that it may not last too much longer and as you say that presents a challenge.

• 1 month later...

Been keeping going but been lacking motivation to get out and do longer runs since marathon - so been doing a lot of 3-6 mile jobs.

Went out today and did 10 miles - longest run since October, felt great and glad i did - has boosted me up too to know still easily capable of it.

• Upvote 1

I have to say @an tha enjoyed reading your marathon posts, the tension! Well done mate. 
I’ve never done any keep fit, been lucky that I don’t put on weight and so kind of ok with having to leg it for a train or whatever. But I’m 60 now so felt the need to do something.  Started couch to 5k and now in the 5th week and doing ok. I go to the gym for the treadmill twice a week and along the streets once, but running outside is more difficult with people, cars, crossing roads and all that, so treadmill now for the last few weeks. Once the later nights arrive there are some nice trails around here so I’ll get out then. Gyms are a weird experience, I’d never been in one before!

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, bossy said:

I have to say @an tha enjoyed reading your marathon posts, the tension! Well done mate. 
I’ve never done any keep fit, been lucky that I don’t put on weight and so kind of ok with having to leg it for a train or whatever. But I’m 60 now so felt the need to do something.  Started couch to 5k and now in the 5th week and doing ok. I go to the gym for the treadmill twice a week and along the streets once, but running outside is more difficult with people, cars, crossing roads and all that, so treadmill now for the last few weeks. Once the later nights arrive there are some nice trails around here so I’ll get out then. Gyms are a weird experience, I’d never been in one before!

Great stuff, mate. Like you read @an tha updates. I’m back on it now, up to 10k but done a lot of treadmill and gym work. I’m lucky where I live there’s 2 places easy to get to that avoid roads ( for now but that’s another story for one of them) 

Hopefully you get the benefit in

the spring with the lighter nights and getting out more. I went yesterday morning it was chilly as fuck but I really did enjoy it. 

Not sure I could do a marathon! 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

Great stuff, mate. Like you read @an tha updates. I’m back on it now, up to 10k but done a lot of treadmill and gym work. I’m lucky where I live there’s 2 places easy to get to that avoid roads ( for now but that’s another story for one of them) 

Hopefully you get the benefit in

the spring with the lighter nights and getting out more. I went yesterday morning it was chilly as fuck but I really did enjoy it. 

Not sure I could do a marathon! 

Nice one Kep, thanks and good luck with yours. I very much doubt I could do a marathon, I’m crapping it about 2 x 8 minutes tomorrow. 

33 minutes ago, bossy said:

Nice one Kep, thanks and good luck with yours. I very much doubt I could do a marathon, I’m crapping it about 2 x 8 minutes tomorrow. 

Nice and slow to start with. Couch 2 5k is great training. I was doing those sorts of intervals on the treadmill last year and trying to build up to longer distances. It took a while and I definitely know what you mean when you’re looking at the watch blowing wanting a rest! 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Love get back into it but the weight just flies of and I need to eat about 6 meals a day. Not an nice athletic thin but Mo Farah thin. I know that sounds silly but I'm around 13 st I drop to 10ish in no time and look like I've got aids. I've got a big head and people ask my Mrs am I ill.

That’s mad, I’ve been gradually losing weight not as fast as that though. Are you doing anything else like circuits? 

I should have said Olympic lifts plus squats deads etc. No bodybuilding crap. I eat at maintenance 3-3500 cals a day plus the extent of cardio is a bit a walking throw in 3 5k runs a week I'm eating nearly 5k cals a day. Takes hours just to prep it all. Would like to get fitter though not just stronger. Heavy stuff is crap really for fitness.

5k cal meal plan no shite. Fuck that off everyday

The number in brackets beside each item is the total calorie content

1) Breakfast

(210) 3 whole eggs
(86) 5 egg whites
(205) 2/3 cup oatmeal (dry measurement)
(86) 1 large orange
(161) 1 1/3 large banana
(105) 1 cup unsweetened fruit juice
(158) 1 1/2 tbsp. natural peanut butter

2) Snack

(193) 1 3/4 scoops whey protein powder
(124) 11 ounces skim milk
(233) 3/4 cup oatmeal (dry measurement)
(69) 12 large strawberries
(97) 14 almonds

3) Lunch

(293) 5.5oz. lean sirloin beef
(476) 2 1/5 cups rice (cooked)
(120) 2 tbsp. flaxseed oil
Unlimited vegetables

4) Snack

(193) 2 scoops whey protein powder
(102) 9 ounces skim milk
(311) 1 cups oatmeal (dry measurement)
(100) 2 1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil

5) Dinner

(327) 7oz. chicken breast
(368) 2 1/3 cups yam
(153) 2 cups corn
(120) 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Unlimited vegetables

6) Snack

(285) 1 3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
(68) 6oz. skim milk
(249) 4/5 cup oatmeal (dry measurement)
(108) 4 walnuts

57 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

5k cal meal plan no shite. Fuck that off everyday

The number in brackets beside each item is the total calorie content

1) Breakfast

(210) 3 whole eggs
(86) 5 egg whites
(205) 2/3 cup oatmeal (dry measurement)
(86) 1 large orange
(161) 1 1/3 large banana
(105) 1 cup unsweetened fruit juice
(158) 1 1/2 tbsp. natural peanut butter

2) Snack

(193) 1 3/4 scoops whey protein powder
(124) 11 ounces skim milk
(233) 3/4 cup oatmeal (dry measurement)
(69) 12 large strawberries
(97) 14 almonds

3) Lunch

(293) 5.5oz. lean sirloin beef
(476) 2 1/5 cups rice (cooked)
(120) 2 tbsp. flaxseed oil
Unlimited vegetables

4) Snack

(193) 2 scoops whey protein powder
(102) 9 ounces skim milk
(311) 1 cups oatmeal (dry measurement)
(100) 2 1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil

5) Dinner

(327) 7oz. chicken breast
(368) 2 1/3 cups yam
(153) 2 cups corn
(120) 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Unlimited vegetables

6) Snack

(285) 1 3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
(68) 6oz. skim milk
(249) 4/5 cup oatmeal (dry measurement)
(108) 4 walnuts

I’m losing weight bit by bit, doing plenty of cardio with some weights, nothing too heavy just sets and reps but no squats or deadlifts at the moment as I got checked out for a hernia and am waiting to see a quack at the hospital. Doing more calorie reduction again now. I don’t think

I could stick to a diet like that. 

6 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

I’m losing weight bit by bit, doing plenty of cardio with some weights, nothing too heavy just sets and reps but no squats or deadlifts at the moment as I got checked out for a hernia and am waiting to see a quack at the hospital. Doing more calorie reduction again now. I don’t think

I could stick to a diet like that. 

5k was probably an exaggeration but even 3.5k is hard work. Olive oil on everything. Diet is 75% of weight loss mainly. Do an hour in the gym them go home and have 4 digestives and you've wasted your time. someone mentioned earlier about people who lose weight dieting then put more back on is a biological truth. Finish dieting hard your metabolism is shot so when you eat 'normally' again the fats cells grab as much as they can in case the same shit happens again

7 hours ago, bossy said:

Nice work.

All started for me with couch to 5k too - it is a good programme.

Road running is OK - just have to as you say watch for cars and that, but personally prefer it to treadmill running - if you are lucky enough to live near decent trails, great, never run trails really myself.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Poor Scouser T said:

I should have said Olympic lifts plus squats deads etc. No bodybuilding crap. I eat at maintenance 3-3500 cals a day plus the extent of cardio is a bit a walking throw in 3 5k runs a week I'm eating nearly 5k cals a day. Takes hours just to prep it all. Would like to get fitter though not just stronger. Heavy stuff is crap really for fitness.

I am really struggling to see how your maintenance cals are that high.

Unless you have a really physical job and you are exercising really intensely every day.

5,000 cals a day is a hell of a lot even if were bulking.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

I am really struggling to see how your maintenance cals are that high.

Unless you have a really physical job and you are exercising really intensely every day.

5,000 cals a day is a hell of a lot even if were bulking.

Do lifting 6 days a week 90 odd minutes pretty intense and reasonable heavy. Then an hour or so walking. If I sat on my arse all day it would be around 2500. Plus I don't drive anywhere within about 5 mile. Bit of trial and error over the while and my weigh varies between 13.5 and 14 but pretty constant. As I say 5k cals was a bit of an exaggeration but if I added 3 or 4 5k+ runs into that I would need more hence when I used to run a lot within a few months I'd be less than 11.

1 minute ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Do lifting 6 days a week 90 odd minutes pretty intense and reasonable heavy. Then an hour or so walking. If I sat on my arse all day it would be around 2500. Plus I don't drive anywhere within about 5 mile. Bit of trial and error over the while and my weigh varies between 13.5 and 14 but pretty constant. As I say 5k cals was a bit of an exaggeration but if I added 3 or 4 5k+ runs into that I would need more hence when I used to run a lot within a few months I'd be less than 11.

That level of lifting makes it make more sense.

At your weight a 5k run probably would do not far off 500 cals so yeah 4 of them a week is gonna be around 2,000 cals - so there is 300 ish a day more you'd need or you would likely end up losing two thirds ish of a pound a week.