You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Both Spearing and Enrique made bigger mistakes leading up to the first goal, and this obsession with being beaten at your near post is annoying. If Ramires had whacked it across the goal (like Morrison did for Norwich earlier the same day) it would probably have gone in as well. When top footballers are allowed to shoot freely from 7-8 yards out and hit the target the ball tends to end up in the back of the net (unless they play for us that is)

Fully agree that Reina's had a (for him) poor season. Let's hope he does an Alonso next year, but that our management doesn't try to replace him with an inferior British version (who's the Gareth Barry of goalkeeping?)

For the record, I think he needs to be looking at some old Peter Shmeichel tapes on how to advance when players are going one on one with him, that's his biggest weakness. Thought the Elvis legs mentioned earlier was pretty funny (and apt), as he goes down too easily and isn't aggressive enough in the way he approaches those situations.

Cech has shown this season it's possible to reinvent oneself (I thought he had lost it), so why shouldn't Pepe?

Having watched our central midfield this season & weighing them against Gareth Barry's efforts for City, it seems a bit strange to be using him as a measure of averageness.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if he's going through a crisis of confidence for 12 months as you say, you still think he should be guaranteed a starting place in the team? No if's or buts?

Im not trying to trip you up. Im genuinely interested to know at what point people acknowledge a keeper, any keeper, loses his place in a team when he's regularly making mistakes that lead to goals.

No he shouldnt be guaranteed a place if there is an able deputy. I dont think Doni or Jones are able deputies.

Unfortunately we dont have an endless amount of cash to spend on a 2nd goalkeeper whilst there are other positions where we dont have anyone of any sort of calibre playing.

Having watched our central midfield this season & weighing them against Gareth Barry's efforts for City, it seems a bit strange to be using him as a measure of averageness.

Agreed, it wasn't meant that way either. Just thinking Reina could need a wake-up call ala the one Alonso got, but that we would keep hold of our world-class player this time... I always liked Barry, and he's been good this season too, but there's still quite a gulf in class between him and Alonso...

The way he was beaten v Cardiff was pretty standard for him, wasn't a lot different than yesterday just it went between his legs. The second goal he let in v Cardiff was bad too. He does seem to be too flat footed these days. Sometimes when a shot goes right at him he saves it but if it goes either side of him then he's not saving them. Penalties are a goal also.

Guest ShoePiss

He's making saves like the lad that gets picked to go in goal and doesn't want to. There is, to me, a 'can't be arsed' attitude from him when it comes to diving for the ball.

I don't know what to make of it, I've mainly been excusing him due to defensive mistakes but I've seen this from him too many times now. He's a lot better than this and it's frustrating to see.

Guest ShoePiss

I wouldn't sell him unless leaving Liverpool is the root of all of this. If he wants to leave it would have to be over £10m

Right now I would swap him for Vorm the Swansea keeper without any doubt. Swansea picked him up for 1.5M pounds from Utecht which goes to show there are good keepers out there. Reina has to buck his ideas up no doubt about it. That said of course he hasn't become a shit keeper but he is way below the top keepers right now. We are not talking about the odd poor goal he lets in but he has let in a pile of poor goals that a top top keeper ought to be ashamed to concede.

"Swap"? For Vorm? No. Keepers who, at the age of 29 have already won world and Euro cups, are not 'swapped'. He has had a poor season by his standards and yet we are the 3rd or 4th best team in the league for goals conceded. I don't see why we would want to sell Pepe off after one poor season out of the 6 seasons that he's been here.

No he shouldnt be guaranteed a place if there is an able deputy. I dont think Doni or Jones are able deputies.

Unfortunately we dont have an endless amount of cash to spend on a 2nd goalkeeper whilst there are other positions where we dont have anyone of any sort of calibre playing.

Doni's a fine keeper, and could easily make the step up.

Out with the old and in with the new. Except Kenny, who is a Saint and can do no wrong.

Guest San Don

I think saying Doni in particular isnt an able deputy is hiding from the truth. The lad has looked impressive in the albeit 2 games he has played. And more importantly, he hasnt been beaten by soft goals or, looked like he'd be beaten by soft goals.

TBH, Reina needs a wake up call and I'd play Doni for the last 2 games of the season. Then, it's up to Reina, he either bucks up in pre season or he doesnt start as number 1.

We simply cant keep playing a keeper who's giving away soft goals. If he's playing below his high standards then he should be put under pressure for his place. Simple as.

as recently as last week I had Pepe down as a must keep in the who should go thread however the errors are becoming alarmingly regular and if we can still get big money for him which could be used to make some much needed improvements has to be worth considering selling him and making Doni first choice

"Swap"? For Vorm? No. Keepers who, at the age of 29 have already won world and Euro cups, are not 'swapped'. He has had a poor season by his standards and yet we are the 3rd or 4th best team in the league for goals conceded. I don't see why we would want to sell Pepe off after one poor season out of the 6 seasons that he's been here.

To be fair he won the European Chanpionships and World Cup in same way Pegguy Arphexad won all those medals with us, from the bench. He needs to buck his ideas up otherwise I'd be quite happy for him to go.

We lost against Fulham, but look at those saves Doni made in that game. Could you have seen Pepe making those same saves on current form. I couldn't! I can't remember when I last felt confident he would save a one-on-one! I said to friends I'd put Doni in for final, and I still wish we had.

I think saying Doni in particular isnt an able deputy is hiding from the truth. The lad has looked impressive in the albeit 2 games he has played. And more importantly, he hasnt been beaten by soft goals or, looked like he'd be beaten by soft goals.

TBH, Reina needs a wake up call and I'd play Doni for the last 2 games of the season. Then, it's up to Reina, he either bucks up in pre season or he doesnt start as number 1.

We simply cant keep playing a keeper who's giving away soft goals. If he's playing below his high standards then he should be put under pressure for his place. Simple as.

Agree, as a club we're far too soft on our big players in terms of level of performance.

We accept mediocrity, and they end up setting their bar a bit lower, it's only natural.

Doni for me from now on, I just find Reinas level unacceptable, he's better than that.

Yes fair enough. Last two games we have nothing to lose

But if have seen Doni play for Roma you will realise he makes just as many mistakes if not more. 2 and half matches doesnt really show you the real Doni.

Guest San Don
Yes fair enough. Last two games we have nothing to lose

But if have seen Doni play for Roma you will realise he makes just as many mistakes if not more. 2 and half matches doesnt really show you the real Doni.

I have seen Doni play for Roma, thanks. But the paradox you have is that you seem ok with one keeper making mistakes and it having no reflection on his team position while with the other, it is.

So in your world, there's no point having a keeper because if outfield players fuck up, it doesnt matter if the keeper let's in a soft one because the outfield players shouldnt have made the mistake?

That's rubbish. It's rubbish because it ignores the old addage that a quality keeper can get you 8 to 12 points in the league. In a knock out competition, its the difference between winning and not.

In earlier posts, I mentioned spearing's mistake, I mentioned enrique's mistake and I mentioned Reina's mistake, which are becoming all too frequently.

Im not advocating selling him and Im not saying he's crap. What I am saying is his mistakes are costing us but if you think we need to look elsewhere first, that's up to you.

Agree with all that mate. I hope he can sort his head out in the summer and come back as strong as he was for his first 5 seasons when he was comfortably among the top keepers on the planet along with casillas and buffon and even cech, not the indecisive and frustrated looking man i've been watching for the last 2

He's had a bad season and I think he's obviously aware of it. I've got every faith in him he'll turn it around. He appears to be one of the strongest characters we've got and I think that will make him work his fucking arse off in preseason and we will see the old Reina back.

I have seen Doni play for Roma, thanks. But the paradox you have is that you seem ok with one keeper making mistakes and it having no reflection on his team position while with the other, it is.

Not at all. Im not happy with either making any mistakes. I just believe Reina has the potential to go back to the good/great keeper he was whereas Doni in my opinion has never been at that level and never will be (and still has the same mistakes in him).

Does Reina regain his confidence after being dropped? or if he remains in the team? and plays for more. I dont know.

Guest San Don
Not at all. Im not happy with either making any mistakes. I just believe Reina has the potential to go back to the good/great keeper he was whereas Doni in my opinion has never been at that level and never will be (and still has the same mistakes in him).

Does Reina regain his confidence after being dropped? or if he remains in the team? and plays for more. I dont know.

OK, so you are saying no player should be dropped when they lose confidence (I think you mean form)?

That's ludicrous if you do.

And saying you dont know is, I'd suggest, a kop out.