You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism in football - is there a problem?

theacademic

country is full of gobby cunts who hide behind social media thinking they can get away with it.  I hope that 12 year old gets the book thrown at him. 

It absolutely baffles me that people can have this mindset as we are all the same ffs. 

Guest Pistonbroke
56 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Is racism in German football indicative of a toxic country led by toxic leaders too?

Germany has a racist problem, like any other country. However, i'd say in general society over here is not as toxic as the UK and its leaders are not even in the same league as their UK counterparts. The German people are well aware of their past misdemeanours and have been constantly reminded of this over the decades. Children are taught in school about their shameful history, unlike other countries who glorify war and treat it like something to be proud of, whilst conveniently not teaching about their own shady past. Germany is one of the most liberal countries in Europe. 

29 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Germany has a racist problem, like any other country. However, i'd say in general society over here is not as toxic as the UK and its leaders are not even in the same league as their UK counterparts. The German people are well aware of their past misdemeanours and have been constantly reminded of this over the decades. Children are taught in school about their shameful history, unlike other countries who glorify war and treat it like something to be proud of, whilst conveniently not teaching about their own shady past. Germany is one of the most liberal countries in Europe. 

Its inherent you can't stop it unfortunately. Arresting a 12 year old does sod all apart from appease the masses on Twitter.

Every culture, every nation will have hate and dislike of others. Its always been the way and will continue to be so.

Guest Pistonbroke
9 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Its inherent you can't stop it unfortunately. Arresting a 12 year old does sod all apart from appease the masses on Twitter.

Every culture, every nation will have hate and dislike of others. Its always been the way and will continue to be so.

Only a fool would ignore the fact that Racism exists in every country in one form or the other. I can understand why SD posted what he did as it may come over like I was having a pop at the UK. However, my initial post was on an incident which happened in the UK, and I gave an honest appraisal how I see things. I'm English myself, so i'm in no way sticking up for the Germans, but having lived in Germany for the last 30 years as a civilian and ten years prior to that as a soldier you tend to see the Germans in a different light and also the efforts they have made to educate their children/citizens. I don't see the same effort in certain areas as far as other countries go, especially when digging into the past of other countries whilst conveniently leaving out their own shady past. 

Racism does indeed exist in every country. I doubt it could ever be truly eradicated because human history has been marked by discrimination of one form or another from the very beginning. Where we are at an advantage today is that we have that wealth of history to look back on and learn from. We can educate the collective mindset. This disadvantage is that there are many people with influence who are looking back on that same history, taking the very worst aspects and using them to fuel hatred and division today. These people are very loud and very visible. There are people in power today actively encouraging the sort of behaviour and thinking that leads to a 12 year old spouting racist abuse on social media.

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

Only a fool would ignore the fact that Racism exists in every country in one form or the other. I can understand why SD posted what he did as it may come over like I was having a pop at the UK. However, my initial post was on an incident which happened in the UK, and I gave an honest appraisal how I see things. I'm English myself, so i'm in no way sticking up for the Germans, but having lived in Germany for the last 30 years as a civilian and ten years prior to that as a soldier you tend to see the Germans in a different light and also the efforts they have made to educate their children/citizens. I don't see the same effort in certain areas as far as other countries go, especially when digging into the past of other countries whilst conveniently leaving out their own shady past. 

Have a look what goes in in far east asia. Its rife and is never reported.

People not liking each other for how they look is as old as time. Im not advocating for it of course, but people have made judgements over people for who they are for centuries. We judge people everyday when we just walk about. We don't live in a perfect world.

Where i do have a problem though is hypocrisy. Lewis Hamilton springs to mind. And labelling an entire nation as racists and needing education over a few voices on twitter is foolish.

I think social media is one of the main problems we have currently in this world. It gives voices to those that never had a platform, and its not for the better, whatever side of the fence you sit.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

Racism does indeed exist in every country. I doubt it could ever be truly eradicated because human history has been marked by discrimination of one form or another from the very beginning. Where we are at an advantage today is that we have that wealth of history to look back on and learn from. We can educate the collective mindset. This disadvantage is that there are many people with influence who are looking back on that same history, taking the very worst aspects and using them to fuel hatred and division today. These people are very loud and very visible. There are people in power today actively encouraging the sort of behaviour and thinking that leads to a 12 year old spouting racist abuse on social media.

Excellent post. Its terribly sad. BLM is one such voice that no one has really bothered to look into in great detail. Did you see Don Lemon interview that Black police officer who disagreed with BLM. They cut him down on live TV. very painful viewing.

2 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Excellent post. Its terribly sad. BLM is one such voice that no one has really bothered to look into in great detail. Did you see Don Lemon interview that Black police officer who disagreed with BLM. They cut him down on live TV. very painful viewing.

Don Lemon's a cunt.

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Even after the explanation I still don't get it.

Do folks say DVD alot? Never once heard it.

Only time I've heard it is in reference to a club winning or in Everton's case drawing and them bring out a new DVD to celebrate.  That's how I thought Claude meant it as folks say about the shite on here.

27 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Even after the explanation I still don't get it.

Do folks say DVD alot? Never once heard it.

There is a body of opinion that in London the people who are knocking out dodgy DVD’s and selling them are predominantly oriental Asians. Therefore, calling somebody of oriental Asian origin DVD is a racist trope as you are suggesting all oriental Asians sell dodgy DVDs.

Also, see Phonejacker’s “Wannabuy DVD” sketch. 

That’s the issue, which I learnt from Twitter this morning. It appears to be a London-centric issue.