You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

aRdja

• 2 weeks later...

Someone asked about whether there might be trouble with him no going straight into the first team. I think this allays those fears:

'I can't wait for Anfield bow' - Liverpool FC

Sebastian Coates has revealed why the prospect of running out at Anfield for the first time fills him with excitement.

The promising Uruguayan joined the club in August and has made four appearances for the first team, all of which have come away from home.

And while he has witnessed many Anfield matches from the bench or the stands, Coates can't wait to get out onto the pitch himself with the Kop roaring the team on.

"I have only played away from home so far and it would be very nice to play at Anfield," Coates told LFC magazine in an exclusive interview this week.

"You can see the passion there is in the crowd. You can see it sitting on the bench but it would be much nicer to see it playing on the field.

"It hasn't really come as a surprise to me because I had already heard of the passion that Liverpool fans had but being told about something and then seeing it for yourself first hand are two different things.

"In other parts of the world, the fans of other clubs are also passionate about their teams but here I believe that the passion of the fans is special. It makes it very difficult for the teams that come to visit Anfield."

The video you selected is only available to LFCTV Online members. You are now watching our Preview video, login or click here to sign up.

Play Video

Coates has enjoyed his settling in period in Liverpool and at the club, and he believes he is adapting well to English football.

However, the defender feels it might take him up to a year to reach his peak as he strives for continual improvement.

"English football is more dynamic. It is faster but little by little I am trying to adapt better to it," added Coates.

"I have obviously come from a league which is much slower than this where there is much more time to think about what you are going to do, but I understand this is an area I need to improve. I need to change but I think I am making those changes and adapting well to the English league and I reckon with the passing of time I will get better and better.

"I think a year will be long enough for me to adapt. I am learning a lot from Jamie Carragher, from Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel. And it is logical for the team and the club to expect me to adapt within a year so I am going to do my best to do so and I think I will achieve it."

No need to break up the Agger/Skrtel partnership but home games against teams like QPR would be ideal for him to get him the game time and experience he needs.

He's been thrown in at the deep end with games away at Stoke, Tottenham, Chelsea and even Brighton and he acquitted himself well. All he's lacking is experience and a full adjustment into English football. Important he learns the language as well.

I think the Agger/Skrtel partnership is doing well, but if one of them gets injured or goes off the boil, Carra will have a fight on his hands to be the one to slot straight into the team. Coates is probably still fourth choice, but as he settles and adapts he could easily go to the top of the class.

• 4 weeks later...
Looked as though he didn't expect that level of intensity from a third tier side.

He's still not on the same wavelength as the game as it's played here, or his team-mates. Not surprising really, he's played so little. We really need to ramp up his involvement if he's going to be ready for next year.

He's still not on the same wavelength as the game as it's played here, or his team-mates. Not surprising really, he's played so little. We really need to ramp up his involvement if he's going to be ready for next year.

He's played a handful of football matches in this country and one of them was in the reserves. You can't play once every two months and expect him not to be rusty.

He needs to either play in the reserves or be loaned out.

And where would that leave us if Agger or Skrtel picked up a injury?

There's this guy called Carragher :whistle:

Or Kelly.

Or recall Coates from loan.

Or, just get Cahill, and give them Coates on loan as part of the deal. Just to piss off Chelsea.

That's a bit of a problem for us alright. He and a few others clearly need games, yet it would be madness to break up our current first choice back four. Surely the sheer number of games we have in the next month will offer more opportunities for Coates, Kelly and Flanagan and give us a better idea of where they are, though I think Kelly is already on a higher level to the other two and is probably a bit unlucky Johnson is playing so well.

That's a bit of a problem for us alright. He and a few others clearly need games, yet it would be madness to break up our current first choice back four. Surely the sheer number of games we have in the next month will offer more opportunities for Coates, Kelly and Flanagan and give us a better idea of where they are, though I think Kelly is already on a higher level to the other two and is probably a bit unlucky Johnson is playing so well.

Kelly has already proven himself IMO. The other two not at all. Unless we talking about Kelly at CH in which case we are back to square 1 because how is he going to get games in there?

The tricky thing is going to be if one of Agger or Skrtel gets crocked who comes in?

Kelly has already proven himself IMO. The other two not at all. Unless we talking about Kelly at CH in which case we are back to square 1 because how is he going to get games in there?

The tricky thing is going to be if one of Agger or Skrtel gets crocked who comes in?

The safe and most likely option would probably be Carra, but obviously that has a knock-on effect on the development of Coates.

It's a compliment to the form and fitness of Agger and Skrtel that this is even an issue.