You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running a (half) Marathon

Juniper

Further on from SD's reply, the breathing is the biggy

A level breathing pattern not only keeps the heart rate down, it also lulls the body into a false sense of energy loss, ask anyone who pants when running, they do get knackered quicker. (try panting for 5 minutes and see)

If you try to breath in for "eg" two left paces, hold for one, then breath out for two left paces again, you will soon learn to pace your breathing.

This slows your breathing down firstly, and also allows you to fill your lungs fully, thus giving you the max oxygen intake you can get (other than a tank and mask)

Obviously, your running speed and stride will be dependant on your number of intake/output breaths.

I have run 6 marathons so far and thats what I did to regulate my breathing to a happy medium.

Much appreciated guys, thanks for the tips.

Experienced some nipple rub today actually, luckily I reached my target just before it started to hurt. I'll definitely be keeping that in mind (along with the thigh chaif) come the big day.

Breathing's coming along but as already mentioned I'm going to seriously have to act on quitting smoking these coming months.

Really determined not only to do this, but do it to the best of my ability and get a really respectable time for my first go.

Just seen a 5k race next Wednesday evening.

Going to go in for this, doing nearly 6k each weekday night on the treadmill but it'll give me some experience that I can take into next months 10k that's going on, if I can do it.

(might have a gig that weekend though, waiting on a promoter for confirmation)

forget boring one paced middle to long distance running. you can & will get fitter (& lose more weight) by running circuits. Find yourself a local footy pitch & then jog the lengths & sprint (as fast as you can) the widths. Overall its far less stress on your joints & will provide a better workout for less than half the time of a 5-10k run

I'm no expert mate and you have had far better advice than a new runner like me can give ,ris can stick his 45 mins up his arse, that must be down the side of a Swedish mountain and is essentially controlled falling.

I do 10ks in about 52 -55 depending upon the terrain. One thing I will say is I think you are over training. Do your 5ks two or three times a week, throw in a long one now and again but do some interval. I go to a f**ty pitch and jog and sprint from the goal line to all the other lines up the pitch. Sprint out jog back and repeat and repeat.

If you want a good time youll need to get some pace in your legs, repeated medium distance will not give you this, mix it up shock your body. But dont over do it.

I was gyming in the morning and running 5 - 10k for 5 nights a week and eating like a champion. After a few weeks I started to break down and my body could not take it.

Thanks Anny and GC

Feel like I'm overdoing it also. Went in the gym today meaning to do a nice 15-20 mins jog about 9km an hour but after a brief 11k an hour warm up I ended up on that speed for about 30minutes.

Problem is once I reach my target I just keep on wanting to reach the next one I decide to set myself...and so on. Plus I had a good album on the mp3.

Will head to the local footie pitch tomorrow in light of your advice. Will have to restrain myself though. Own worst enemy, enjoying this too much.

Great minds George and all that

while i don't know the distances i've ran, i've done plenty of 30-60 minute runs at a steady pace. while the legs are tired i'm not overly exhausted by them. doing 7 or 8 circuits around a footy field though i can feel my heart going like the clappers & i'm blowing out of my arse.

each person is different though. imo your own body is the best judge of what is right for you.

I thought I was super fit 8 months or so ago. Running swimming bit of this and that till I played a game of 7 a side at one of those boxed in pitches. 30 mins of that and I was fucked. Thats what I try to recreate. Even sometimes running backwards etc, but only in winter when noone can see me looking like a tit.

I'm no expert mate and you have had far better advice than a new runner like me can give ,ris can stick his 45 mins up his arse, that must be down the side of a Swedish mountain and is essentially controlled falling.

I do 10ks in about 52 -55 depending upon the terrain. One thing I will say is I think you are over training. Do your 5ks two or three times a week, throw in a long one now and again but do some interval. I go to a f**ty pitch and jog and sprint from the goal line to all the other lines up the pitch. Sprint out jog back and repeat and repeat.

If you want a good time youll need to get some pace in your legs, repeated medium distance will not give you this, mix it up shock your body. But dont over do it.

I was gyming in the morning and running 5 - 10k for 5 nights a week and eating like a champion. After a few weeks I started to break down and my body could not take it.

See my later post. I had my times mixed. I did 55 on the 10k. The 44 was 8k. In fact I looked up the times and did 44.26 one year and then 44.27 the next. I was going to knock it on the head this year as I injured my knee playing football last year, but I'm going to test it out again. I really enjoy running by us. There is a lovely 6k run in the countryside where you run by a stream handball sorts.

DS, pendulum is lethal running music.

See my later post. I had my times mixed. I did 55 on the 10k. The 44 was 8k. In fact I looked up the times and did 44.26 one year and then 44.27 the next. I was going to knock it on the head this year as I injured my knee playing football last year, but I'm going to test it out again. I really enjoy running by us. There is a lovely 6k run in the countryside where you run by a stream handball sorts.

DS, pendulum is lethal running music.

Lethal as in bad?

Do intervals if you want that belly off faster, a marathon is not the best way to loose weight, but good luck and i hope you make it.

Did the London Martahon recently and lost 22lbs (15-4 to 13-10) in the 4 months training for it. The weight just fell off and it's not like I was seriously overweight beforehand as I am 6'3.

Did the London Martahon recently and lost 22lbs (15-4 to 13-10) in the 4 months training for it. The weight just fell off and it's not like I was seriously overweight beforehand as I am 6'3.

thats brilliant & anyone who can complete a marathon deserves massive credit but i reckon you could have lost much more in a lot less time (time exercising) by doing the sprint circuits.