You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paul Konchesky

Cantrell20

Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News | Reds confirm Konchesky talks

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson has confirmed he has spoken to former club Fulham regarding a possible move for Paul Konchesky.

Skysports.com revealed earlier on Wednesday that Liverpool had lined up a deal for Konchesky as Hodgson seeks to bring in a new left-back.

Konchesky joined Fulham three years ago from West Ham United and was a regular during Hodgson's time at Craven Cottage.

A reunion with his old boss could now be on the cards after Hodgson acknowledged he has discussed a potential swoop for the 29-year-old.

However, the recently-appointed Reds boss is unsure whether the twice-capped England international will pitch up at Anfield.

"We had discussions with Fulham about whether they were prepared to sell any of their players and I would be lying if I said Paul was not a name we considered," said Hodgson on his arrival in Trabzon for their Europa League play-off second leg tie.

"Whether or not there is a chance of business is still very much up in the air."

Laughing stock of the league appears to be on his way to Liverpool soon. We already filled the homegrown quota, don't need any more English deadwood. More, still have four free spots for foreigners. 3.5-4 million pounds for ageing journeyman is terrible. We sell promising, probably decent left-back aged 21 to fund a move for 29 year old with nothing in his locker. He scored 2 decent goals in his career, one against Liverpool and nothing more. Loaning Aquilani, armbanding Lucas and now getting Konchesky seriosuly worries me, not kidding. I understood Kyrgiakos last year, he proved to be a good squaddie, while we had no money, when none was available. Now the likes of Ziegler, Mancienne, Morel, Drenthe, Emanuelson, Taiwo and Salcido can sign for comparable money.

Roy seems a good businessman. Poulsen and 5 million for Aquilani, Konchesky for double the fee Fulham pays for Salcido, who is a preferred option among the fans, while Konchesky just the opposite. Bramble and Boumsong had expiring deals, why haven't we moved for them before the left their clubs?

Highlights the problems we have at the club really,doesn't it?

I think we can all appreciate that Roy is restricted and his hands are tied,but honestly if this happens then it will cast even more doubts over how good our new manager is in the market

Its getting very disappointing and disturbing if he is looking at Britney.....

There is no excuse. He costs at least twice what we payed for Zorba last year having no pot to pee in. I am not slating Roy, just criticise him. None is bigger than a club, should anyone be immune to critics? Roy has a luxury to pay 3-4 for million for a left-back, something we didn't have last year with Zorba. Why to waste it? It's just like getting Chucho Benitez and saying he's prolific. Can't think of any left back more annoying Liverpool fans than this one. Joey Barton instead of Aqua (we dream of a replacement) would be the same punch. And ironically, popular among supporters Salcido replaces Konchesky for twice less money we pay for him.

Apparently Konchesky is rested not to stand in the way of a transfer completed before the end of the week. Sources from twitter say the deal will be done for 4 million pounds. Nicolas Otamendi costs Porto around that with all the add-ons, Taiwo would be one million more. Not to mention, Konchesky "replacement", which is actually an upgrade, costs 2 million pounds. Second bad move this week, Roy.

Scouse missionary

It's ironic and cynical, just like Harewood or Jeffers instead of Torres as they were on a free transfer. If we had absolutely no cash and Konchesky was on Bosman, I would stand him and get past it. But to splash 4 million we desperately need on someone who in 2-3 years will have no sale on value, just to enable our midtable contender to buy a desireable left back for half price we pay, is at least debatable:)

Apparently Konchesky is rested not to stand in the way of a transfer completed before the end of the week. Sources from twitter say the deal will be done for 4 million pounds. Nicolas Otamendi costs Porto around that with all the add-ons, Taiwo would be one million more. Not to mention, Konchesky "replacement", which is actually an upgrade, costs 2 million pounds. Second bad move this week, Roy.

Taiwo for only 5 million quid? Wouldn't think he'd be available that cheap like.

I find it highly amusing how so many people on here have so much knowledge of Europian football, salcido was decent in world cup but as been pretty shit at PSV, but he has a foreign name so he must be great and better option than a fullback the manager knows well and has lots of experience in the premier league

Taiwo for only 5 million quid? Wouldn't think he'd be available that cheap like.

His deal expires next year, same as Morel's, second best left back in Ligue (we're getting 14th in PL now, you know), Ziegler, Emanuelson contracts are also due to expiry. Salcido is rated at 2, Fucile at 5, Caceres can be loaned with a view to a permanent deal. No excuses. If Fulham didn't sign Salcido, I wouldn't mind that much. But if we're outwitted by a mediocre team, willingly selling us the most unwanted left back by the fans, just to get one of the most popular ones among L'Pool supporters and save 2 million pounds, it's a disgrace and punching yourself.

I find it highly amusing how so many people on here have so much knowledge of Europian football, salcido was decent in world cup but as been pretty shit at PSV, but he has a foreign name so he must be great and better option than a fullback the manager knows well and has lots of experience in the premier league

Bingo

Salcido can't get on for PSV but he had a great world cup so he must be good...

Salcido was never motivated, had some disciplinary problems and began to fade after too many years in a mediocre league. I watched him on at least 15 occassions and that's enough at least to point out he is twice the player Konchesky is. I know some people may be blinded by former impression of Konchesky, anyway if Salcido and Konchesky are the same quality, Salcido costs two times less, end of discussion.

His deal expires next year, same as Morel's, second best left back in Ligue (we're getting 14th in PL now, you know), Ziegler, Emanuelson contracts are also due to expiry. Salcido is rated at 2, Fucile at 5, Caceres can be loaned with a view to a permanent deal. No excuses. If Fulham didn't sign Salcido, I wouldn't mind that much. But if we're outwitted by a mediocre team, willingly selling us the most unwanted left back by the fans, just to get one of the most popular ones among L'Pool supporters and save 2 million pounds, it's a disgrace and punching yourself.

I still don't think he'd be available for 5 million though.

Not that I am saying Hodgson is doing this deal because he's the cheaper option but we are fuckin' skint to be fair. And if that 2 million was used, for example, as the signing on fee for Cole I think we'd be doing alright.

It's not how good the player is individually it's how good the team functions. If Konchesky at left back makes our back 4 work better then it's a good move no matter what his own ability on the ball is.

I ain't saying it's right but equally I ain't gonna go mental until I've seen actually what the manager wants to implement for the side.

No problem with Konchesky given the money shituation. He will improve our squad and you know what you are getting; a decent if unspectacular left back who knows Roy's defence tactics well.

Great so we have one player that plays man for man while the rest are still trying NOT to play the formation that gave one of the best defensive records for the last 5 seasons.

Great

U bone heads are forgetting one thing.

One is 21 the other 29.

At least Insua has the capacity to get better

Thats 100% true. But can we afford another season with Insua at left back? If we had a fully fit top class left back that could be rotated out every now and then to let Insua gain experience it would be great. I'd be confident he'd improve with time.

I know its a poor argument I make because Koncheskys not much better. But if we replace Insua with Konchesky for roughly the same money then its a slight improvement. In our current state, all we can get is slight improvements. As shit as that is.