You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paul Konchesky

Cantrell20

Scouse missionary

It's ironic and cynical, just like Harewood or Jeffers instead of Torres as they were on a free transfer. If we had absolutely no cash and Konchesky was on Bosman, I would stand him and get past it. But to splash 4 million we desperately need on someone who in 2-3 years will have no sale on value, just to enable our midtable contender to buy a desireable left back for half price we pay, is at least debatable:)

Ah, get it now. Sorry, I took your post too literally.

Don't you think Mancienne is better and better prospect. Can't break into Chelsea squad, no wonder, as they have one of the best, if not the best defensive set-up in the world. Very good on the ball, quick and strong, with an eye for a pass. Can play as a holding midfielder and had some really good games there last year. There's a clip on youtube against Arsenal. Chelsea want to part ways for 2-3 million reportedly, has to be better than Konchesky.

Great so we have one player that plays man for man while the rest are still trying NOT to play the formation that gave one of the best defensive records for the last 5 seasons.

Great

Fulham did not play man marking. I imagine that's a quick fix because everyone knows how to do it, while he works on training them in the system he will ultimately use.

I'm surprised anyone is seriously implying they were happy with our defending last season.

Don't you think Mancienne is better and better prospect. Can't break into Chelsea squad, no wonder, as they have one of the best, if not the best defensive set-up in the world. Very good on the ball, quick and strong, with an eye for a pass. Can play as a holding midfielder and had some really good games there last year. There's a clip on youtube against Arsenal. Chelsea want to part ways for 2-3 million reportedly, has to be better than Konchesky.

Can't disagree with your reasoning but this is obviously a safety first, known quantity, I can't afford to introduce anymore risk into this squad signing.

Konchesky is clearly better than Insua at this very moment in time.

Bearing in mind in terms of quality our best LB is Aurellio, who will not see out a full season as long as I am alive and that we, therefore, clearly need another left back and that we have very little money, I think it would be good business, especially compared to the 18m we spunked on a RB last year.

Apart from that, he is not even here yet, but he is already a terrible signing.

We are no longer dining at the top table, get used to it, it might get a lot worse yet.

Konchesky is clearly better than Insua at this very moment in time.

Bearing in mind in terms of quality our best LB is Aurellio, who will not see out a full season as long as I am alive and that we, therefore, clearly need another left back and that we have very little money, I think it would be good business, especially compared to the 18m we spunked on a RB last year.

Apart from that, he is not even here yet, but he is already a terrible signing.

We are no longer dining at the top table, get used to it, it might get a lot worse yet.

Insua got caught out of position many times, but although we played dull antifootball next year, still our defence played a bit higher than Fulham, that's why he was an easier target. Selling Argie international, who played against Ireland two weeks ago to buy England reject doesn't convince me. Don't understand your acceptance for shittyness. We're not flush with cash to say the least, but there 10 popular in the press candidates, so everyone, even if you watch only Molde vs Rosenborg or Brann Bergen vs Valarenga, knows about them, who are better than Konchesky. We might have bought Johnson for inflated price, but he can serve us for eight years since arrival, not 4 like Konchesky. And it twice the player Konchesky is, so Johnson wasn't a worse signing in any way.

I find it highly amusing how so many people on here have so much knowledge of Europian football, salcido was decent in world cup but as been pretty shit at PSV, but he has a foreign name so he must be great and better option than a fullback the manager knows well and has lots of experience in the premier league

Spot on. Saicedo could do well in England, but I'd rather not take a chance on a relatively unknown player who's spent a lot of time in a weak league.

Konchesky might be a midtable player, but we can't afford players from the top bracket. He's solid enough and we know what we're getting.

Fulham did not play man marking. I imagine that's a quick fix because everyone knows how to do it, while he works on training them in the system he will ultimately use.

I'm surprised anyone is seriously implying they were happy with our defending last season.

Then why have we switched to man for man on set pieces if it wasn't used at Fulham?

The only reason why our defence was poor was because we didn't have a settled back four till when? The new year or even later than that.

We had an out of form Carra no Agger, Skrytl kicking anything that moved, with Kryarkos and Johnson trying to fit in and Insua being 1st choice when he 2009-10 was supposed to have been his finding his feet season but due to Mr Glass and Mr Useless that went out the window. So one season with our most dependable thing failing now has us trying to come up with excuses as to why Konchesky is not as shit as we all know he is.

Would we have stood for tha class of player when Rafa, Houllier or Evans was in charge?

Fuck no.

So why should we now.

This rumour of him allienating the young foreign players in favour of aging journey men has got me worried.

If he thinks this will curry favour with the majority of the fans he needs to stop reacting to whoever is blowing in his ear!

Insua got caught out of position many times, but although we played dull antifootball next year, still our defence played a bit higher than Fulham, that's why he was an easier target. Selling Argie international, who played against Ireland two weeks ago to buy England reject doesn't convince me. Don't understand your acceptance for shittyness. We're not flush with cash to say the least, but there 10 popular in the press candidates, so everyone, even if you watch only Molde vs Rosenborg or Brann Bergen vs Valarenga, knows about them, who are better than Konchesky. We might have bought Johnson for inflated price, but he can serve us for eight years since arrival, not 4 like Konchesky. And it twice the player Konchesky is, so Johnson wasn't a worse signing in any way.

I did not say that he was the ONLY option or even the best option.

In fact, my main point, pehaps badly made, was the impression I get that there loads of people on here (and elsewhere) who are still believing that we should be compared to the Chelsea's, City's or even Utds of this world and it simply is not going to happen.

I said on another thread, this club is dying a slow death by a thousand cuts and, frankly, I would be happy just to have a club to watch next year.

That does not mean that I accept any old crap being served up or any old shite being signed. BUT, the circumstances Hodgson has to work under have clearly changed and are the worst any modern LFC manager has had. As such, for me at least, the basis upon which I make a judgement on the manager and his transfers has changed.

Now, bearing all this in mind, we can have a debate about how we can be smarter to uncover the gems that no one has discovered yet for about 4-5m and, having found some, whether you would then spend money on Konchewsky. Fair enough.

Some of our best players of the last 20 years have been undiscovered gems. The question then become how you get the best out of the very limited resources you have as a general rule, rather than a 'witchhunt' against a player not even here yet.

As for Insua, there is talent there, but, at this present moment, I don't think he is quite up to it.

Spot on. Saicedo could do well in England, but I'd rather not take a chance on a relatively unknown player who's spent a lot of time in a weak league.

Konchesky might be a midtable player, but we can't afford players from the top bracket. He's solid enough and we know what we're getting.

I think this argument is of bigger importance given Aurelio's injury record.

As bad as Agger is at Left back, he's better than Paul Konchesky there.

I had high hopes for Agger at left back, still think if he learns the position he could become a good left back. But he was slaughtered against City, granted the whole team was shit but our left side was once again shown up to be a serious problem. Dunno if Konchesky would do any better to be honest but Agger was bad.

Both Agger and Konchesky will do probably do ok playing left back against shit teams we should be beating. But its hard to call who would do better against the bigger teams. Agger is a better all round player, but Koncheskys been playing left back his whole career.

I had high hopes for Agger at left back, still think if he learns the position he could become a good left back. But he was slaughtered against City, granted the whole team was shit but our left side was once again shown up to be a serious problem. Dunno if Konchesky would do any better to be honest but Agger was bad.

Both Agger and Konchesky will do probably do ok playing left back against shit teams we should be beating. But its hard to call who would do better against the bigger teams. Agger is a better all round player, but Koncheskys been playing left back his whole career.

Agger wasn't fully recovered.

Nonetheless, in the he was in that night, Adam Johnson would have fucking ripped Konchesky to shreds just as badly if not worse. Konchesky won't do anything for us except deplete transfer funds.

Really don't think Jovanovic helped out much plus didn't roy reveal he was still fucked from the Arsenal game? The problem I have with Konchesky is that we should be looking to sign a player who is better than Aurelio, not one who is clearly worse. Whether or not he is better than Insua is also debatable, I suppose hes better defensively but worse going forward. Either way its a shit signing.