You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite Rafa moments

RedBrian84

Leave the anger and frustration at the door for this one.

It looks certain that he's going (and I genuinely wish him well wherever his career takes him) and it's made me decide to place a thread up here celebrating the good times and moments he's given us since his arrival. Of course it's all gone wrong but there cannot be anybody on here who hasn't been grinning from ear to ear about something he's done or have fond memories of some of the things that have happened to our club while he's been in charge.

So feel free to throw on your favourite moments about the past six years (obviously one will stand out more than others)

For me there are three; the first is clearly Istanbul. Whatever happens to our club, that was the single greatest night of my life as a Liverpool fan so far. Yes, he made a cock up with his first eleven (an omen of the future right there) but his substitution at half time paid dividends and we got it. We got there with a poor squad, and I will be forever thankful to Benitez for his part in it.

The other two are little things really- one was the "small club" comment aimed at Everton which resulted in the hilarity of blues going into meltdown everywhere and making a mockery of their song "we don't care what the red shite say". So cheers for that, Rafa!

The other was when we were in the penalty shoot-out against Chelsea in the CL semi. Tension all around, heart in mouth moment. And then the camera zooms in on Rafa, who's sitting, calm and apparently emotionless, cross-legged and checking his watch. It made me smile then, and still does.

If (when?) he goes, then I wish him all the very best. He returned us to the top table of Europe again and has given us some cracking moments along the way.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from the obvious one's one of my most favourite memories is post match at Stamford Bridge saying during the interview "Excuse me, i have to get to hospital to see if Robben is ok. he must have broke his neck no?"

after Pepe got sent off

Apart from the winning of cups, two spring to mind:

1. The Chelsea CL semi in 2007 with Rafa watching the pens cross-legged from the touchline - he knew we were going to win that shootout.

Rafa%2B3%2Bcrop.jpg

2. The pictures and footage of Rafa in that bar before the Leverkusen game in 2005 surrounded by loads of reds.

Edited by Vincent Vega

I honestly can't dislike the man. He's been a star in his time here. He's taken on too much at times and should have kept his mouth shut and got on with things. His tactics and subs have been frustrating as fuck. But for the amazing memories I have from his time at this club I will always have a soft spot for him and will always wish a Rafa Benitez team well as long as we aren't playing them. The man has been fantastic for this club. He has a genuine affinity with the way the club SHOULD be run and how important the fans are. I would rather he stayed and won everything with us, but if he can't then it's time to go and I wont hold anything against him nor call him childish names like so many on here. He's tried his best for this club and he always cites the fans as the driving passion behind wanting to win. He's signed some of the best players that have ever played for this club in Xabi, Pepe, Torres and Mascherano. Given us great days and nights out in Istanbul, Cardiff, Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, all over Europe and of course at Anfield.

If this is goodbye Rafa, I'll always remember the good times and try to put the bad ones out of my mind. Good luck.

I am very greatfull for all the good times he gave us and I thank him for that.

Good luck to you Rafa and I hope you bring your next club as many fond memories as you have bought us.

As for great moments. Has to be the semi win over the chavs.

Sabbathfan thanks for the cricket clip. Hadn't seen it before.

And I agree with everything you've said above. I don't understand where the malice in some of the criticism of Rafa is coming from.

He seems like a decent guy, I'd bet that he's quite witty in his own language and there's no doubt that he's worked hard for this club.

These 5 years have been both greatly satisfying and intensely frustrating, and he's been a big part of all our successes and our failures. I don't know, I guess I feel like we went through this together and so I'd be sorry to see him go like this, if that makes any sense.

The semi final wins over Chelsea.

The best day of my life - Istanbul.

The way you spoke out against Ferguson.

The comfortable wins we've had against United over the last 2 seasons.

Bringing Fowler back to his home.

Bringing great stars such as Pepe, Masch, Alonso and Torres to this great club.

Being in touch with us more than we could ever have wished for.

Thank you Rafa. You will be sorely missed be me.

Not certain whether 'favourite moments' means games or just that, moments.

If it is moments, I think when he had a go a fat sam after we beat them at home this season when he said 'this manager is an inspiration for people around the world how to play football' and finished with 'Barcelona are looking at playing in his style.'

Even I've got to admit that was class.

If we are talking team performance from start to finish and not just what the result gave us, I'd have to say the 4-1 against united.