You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Instant cunt identifiers

Remmie

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

Interesting. I’d always assumed it was a class thing and that, historically at least, working class people in this country, regardless of region, said dinner and tea and the middle classes said lunch and dinner. When watching episodes of Eastenders from the 1980s, Pauline Fowler prepares Arthur’s evening meal, a meal she calls tea.

Nowadays, I see and hear so many people, Northerners and Southerners, referring to their midday meal as lunch. I just assumed this was another Americanism that had crept in.

Not my experience at all. I've given the 80% example of lunchers in MK whereas when o went to uni in Preston I'd say it was 80% the other way.

6 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I don't say tea though I say Dinner as evening meal. My point was if posh cricketers say tea is it really a class thing?

I was always under the impression that when cricketers refer to "tea" they mean actual tea, like a cup of tea. With cucumber sandwiches and little cakes on those three tiered stands. Afternoon tea. 

So yeah, that would be a class thing.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

I was always under the impression that when cricketers refer to "tea" they mean actual tea, like a cup of tea. With cucumber sandwiches and little cakes on those three tiered stands. Afternoon tea. 

So yeah, that would be a class thing.

Yes, it's like afternoon tea or high tea.  "High tea" is a term that crops up in the Madeleine McCann case.  Enough said. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Remmie said:

I don't say tea though I say Dinner as evening meal. My point was if posh cricketers say tea is it really a class thing?

I maintain its regional though with plenty of exceptions like the one Tony provided. It's said that everyone in Liverpool says Dinner and Tea but does that mean all Scousers are working class? Milton Keynes is a new city so has lots of influences from around the country but 80%+ would say lunch over dinner.

Not that any of that matters anyway, I mean who the fuck knows what class they are in today's society. Some may look at my double barrelled name, vegetarianism and my living in the Home counties as the trifecta of middle class bingo but I spent part of my childhood living in squats and a shared house with 4+ non sibling other children, family never had a car, my Northerner dad's job on my birth certificate says road sweeper. What the fuck does this make me? 

Deffo middle class.

On 17/04/2020 at 03:58, Evelyn Tentions said:

When I was a kid, my lunch box was a paper bag with my sandwiches wrapped in greaseproof paper.

When my dad was off to work he used to be given the same by my mum. It was called 'carry out'.

There was a thread on the GF a few years ago about mealtime names.

Morning meal = breakfast.

Afternoon meal = Dinner

Evening meal = Tea

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

I worked in a bank in Kirkby throughout most of the Eighties alongside a girl who I never saw bring anything to eat for dinner other than one piece of bread with cheese on, cut into two tiny squares.

I'd make a deposit into her account. 

3 hours ago, sir roger said:

I worked in a bank in Kirkby throughout most of the Eighties alongside a girl who I never saw bring anything to eat for dinner other than one piece of bread with cheese on, cut into two tiny squares.

Shut up about her you sound like Mook 

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/04/2020 at 14:22, sir roger said:

I just saw a post on Reddit saying that the world's smallest sandwich would be one protein atom between two carbohydrate atoms, maybe this is what she was aiming for.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

People who have bonfires during nice weather. Fucking bellends when everyone is sitting in their garden or putting clothes on the washing line. Have them in the winter when everyone is indoors. Twats.

This.

Some people have an obsession with bonfires, fucking weirdos

26 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep. Your lot 

It did occur to me you might pick up on that, fair play.

It is burning effigies of the leader of one of the most evil organisations in the world so nowt wrong with that 

18 minutes ago, A Red said:

It did occur to me you might pick up on that, fair play.

It is burning effigies of the leader of one of the most evil organisations in the world so nowt wrong with that 

Ian Paisley ? It shouldn’t be an effigy 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Ian Paisley ? It shouldn’t be an effigy 

Nothing left to burn hes long gone.

No, the roman catholic church, one of the most evil organisations in the world, but you know that