You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa to Juve?

Rocky Sullivan

His first game he played in a midfield four and did excellently. He also played in many other midfield fours throughout the season.

He's always switching the team around during a game, whether it be positional or tactical; he's always making alterations.

His plan was bollocks. Sell Alonso, don't replace him and sign an average left back come half decent centre midfielder to play left wing. Just fucking stupid that.

He did, yeah. But Gerrard or Torres never played in his first game. Not sure about the rest of the season, but as a rule he never did.

He always making tactical changes, I agree. Positional ones? A lot less so.

We never saw his plan and with all honest I'd take Rafa's view on whether something would work over everyone on here. I don't think he'd have played left wing in a John Barnes style, but as I've said previously, in more of a way that Zenden did for us.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it's an impossible argument to resolve but if he was gonna play him left wing like he said he intended then we'd have been just as shit this season as we are now. In fact, at least our one-paced wide man is actually a winger rather than a defensive mid played out of position.

My thoughts on what he wanted to do go back to the end of the 06-07 season. When he dropped Alonso for the 2nd leg against Chelsea. We had a midfield 4 of Pennant, Mascherano, Gerrard and Zenden. With Crouch and Kuyt up front.

That side played well that night but a side of Kuyt, Mascherano, Gerrard, Barry, Keane and Torres for me would be a step up from that one.

Where that side would have ended up we could debate and debate but I just don't see how sure people can be that it was deffo destined to fail. I'm not sure it would have worked, mainly cos we never saw it but with 2 up top, Gerrard driving from deep, a couple of attacking full backs plus a forward player in Kuyt and a decent enough technical player in Barry I think it would be hard pushed to be worse than we was this season.

In fact, that draws some parrells to the front 6 that Chelsea have. No great pacey wingers to attack the full backs, attack minded full backs who's main job is to support and 2 up front for the rest to work off.

New investors may be coming in, and there is a possibility of a new stadium. It is important now that we see these things happen. We must see the club progressing.

'We are going in the right direction, but we have to make sure we really move forward now, by lining up players who are good and available and trying to sign them. The key is the stadium and investors.

Interesting quote that.

Doesn't quite fit with the 'he ain't moaning at the board and just trying to keep his job' attitude mind.

Post the artical you lazy fuck.

Rafa Benitez: Keep me happy or I'll leave Liverpool

By John Edwards Last updated at 10:03 PM on 29th January 2010

Rafa Benitez warned Liverpool that they must deliver on a string of promises if he is not to be lured away by Juventus in the summer.

After previously refusing to acknowledge Juventus wanted him as long-term replacement for the sacked Ciro Ferrara, Benitez dramatically changed his stance ahead of today's home game with Bolton.

'I know they are interested, and you have to be proud when one of the top sides in Europe wants you,' he declared.

Liverpool's hierarchy, and supporters, may well be alarmed at a sudden willingness to discuss a pursuit that began last Monday, when the Juventus board decided Ferrara had to pay the price for growing public unrest at their team's poor form.

They kept news of his fate from him until yesterday but wasted no time putting out feelers for Benitez, in the hope he could somehow be persuaded to jump ship midway through the season season and take over immediately. When it became clear that would not be possible, they appointed Alberto Zaccheroni as interim coach until the end of the season and vowed to try again for Benitez in the summer.

Despite facing uncertainty over his own position after early exits from the Champions League and FA Cup and failure to mount a title challenge in the Barclays Premier League, Benitez appeared to be setting out his terms for remaining at Anfield.

'New investors may be coming in, and there is a possibility of a new stadium. It is important now that we see these things happen. We must see the club progressing.

'We are going in the right direction, but we have to make sure we really move forward now, by lining up players who are good and available and trying to sign them. The key is the stadium and investors.

'There has been a lot of talk (about Juventus), and, yes, I know about their interest. As a manager, you have to be proud when a big club, a top club in Europe, have an interest in you and are watching you.

'Perhaps there has been too much talking, but you cannot stop speculation.'

Asked whether players lined up for summer moves to Liverpool - including Anfield-bound Standard Liege striker Milan Jovanovic - might think again were he to leave, Benitez replied: 'They all know I still have four years left on my contract.'

Benitez said that money has been made available for the final weekend of the transfer window but would not be drawn on whether talks between managing director Christian Purslow and Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn would see striker Kenwyne Jones' arrival at Anfield.

'We are working very hard under the conditions we have at this moment.

'But it is best not to ask me about players like Jones. I am the Liverpool manager, not the Sunderland manager,' he said.

Rafa Benítez: We have a very good squad, I've brought a lot of good players to the club, under my regime Liverpool fans have become proud of their club again.

Also Rafa Benítez: A lot of big clubs in Europe want me, some strikers will only come if I am the manager, I'm working under very difficult circumstances, the only way to really move forward now is by letting me bring more players to the club.

He's never outwardly arrogant or anything, but he sure does think very highly of himself.

I don't know how Benitez can have the audacity to start saying the club need to be progressing, no shjit sherlock, just focus on gettinmg the players to perform on the pitch, not taking the pressure off you onto the owners.

Concentrate on your job Rafa, something you are struggling to do at the moment and are in my opinion lucky to still be in.

You asked for a table and they gave you a lamp. As fans we asked for a title challenge and you have given us little hope that you can deliver on that front.

It is the owners and Purslows job to deliver on the investment and stadium. It is your job to win us football matches and that is what you will be judged on.

I remember when Rafa used to come out publically and say when he wasn't happy with the owners.

Now he seems content, probably to save his job.

I don't know how Benitez can have the audacity to start saying the club need to be progressing, no shjit sherlock, just focus on gettinmg the players to perform on the pitch, not taking the pressure off you onto the owners.

Concentrate on your job Rafa, something you are struggling to do at the moment and are in my opinion lucky to still be in.

You asked for a table and they gave you a lamp. As fans we asked for a title challenge and you have given us little hope that you can deliver on that front.

It is the owners and Purslows job to deliver on the investment and stadium. It is your job to win us football matches and that is what you will be judged on.

Damned if he does, damned if he don't....

It is totally correct that the club needs to progress. Regardless of whether it's Rafa in charge or some new manager, if we still have no money and no movement on a stadium then we will never move forward. Lets try and not turn this into a "Rafa's got some fucking nerve", etc. There is absolutely 100% no question that the below quote is on the money. Some may need to try and remove it from their minds as to who said it, but, to me, it's 100% correct.

"New investors may be coming in, and there is a possibility of a new stadium. It is important now that we see these things happen. We must see the club progressing.

'We are going in the right direction, but we have to make sure we really move forward now, by lining up players who are good and available and trying to sign them. The key is the stadium and investors."

Rafa Benítez: We have a very good squad, I've brought a lot of good players to the club, under my regime Liverpool fans have become proud of their club again.

Also Rafa Benítez: A lot of big clubs in Europe want me, some strikers will only come if I am the manager, I'm working under very difficult circumstances, the only way to really move forward now is by letting me bring more players to the club.

He's never outwardly arrogant or anything, but he sure does think very highly of himself.

the sooner he's gone the better.

nothing wrong with arrogance, talk the talk rafa....

some strikers will only come if I am the manager,

Your way of reading quotes must take the following steps.

Read what's said.

Twist it around.

Write what you've created.

I'm only guessing given the way you've got from what was said to that above.

Your way of reading quotes must take the following steps.

Read what's said.

Twist it around.

Write what you've created.

I'm only guessing given the way you've got from what was said to that above.

Sorry, wasn't only responding to what was posted, but that was the way Tony Barrett presented it in his article tonight:

Jovanovic has stated that he wants assurances that Benítez will be at the club next season before committing himself to a move. The Spaniard, though, remains confident that the lure of Liverpool will help to overcome any such obstacles.

“We are working hard trying to bring players in to improve the squad,” Benítez said. “There are some players who are available in the market and we have to continue monitoring them. I would like to improve the squad as much as I can.

“They [possible signings] know that I have four years of contract left and if they want to come, they will come. I am very happy here. I would like to win a lot of games with this club. I was fighting before and I will continue fighting every single week, trying to do the best for my club.”

Rafael Benítez uses Juventus interest to focus on squad building | Liverpool - Times Online

Tony Barrett states that about Jovanovich and he's pretty reliable. But maybe only one striker then.

Sorry, wasn't only responding to what was posted, but that was the way Tony Barrett presented it in his article tonight:

Rafael Benítez uses Juventus interest to focus on squad building | Liverpool - Times Online

Tony Barrett states that about Jovanovich and he's pretty reliable. But maybe only one striker then.

Fair do's mate. See how that article makes it sound that way. Seems to have been more him asked would players not wanna come if your future is unsure and he responded with I'm here for 4 years.

I'm sure Purslow has had numerous conversations with Nash our CFO, who was the CFO at Arsenal, about the advantages of a symbiotic relationship between the footballing and finance sides of the "business" and I'm sure that means that as long as Rafa plays nice like Wenger did that he'll be extended the same latitude that Wenger was.

Arsenal's current strength is a testament to how well Wenger and Dein balanced the football and finance aspects. I think Purslow knows he'd have difficultly getting a top top manager who would be able to successfully integrate the two perspectives, so he'll cut Rafa far more slack than some would like.

I'm sure Purslow has had numerous conversations with Nash our CFO, who was the CFO at Arsenal, about the advantages of a symbiotic relationship between the footballing and finance sides of the "business" and I'm sure that means that as long as Rafa plays nice like Wenger did that he'll be extended the same latitude that Wenger was.

Arsenal's current strength is a testament to how well Wenger and Dein balanced the football and finance aspects. I think Purslow knows he'd have difficultly getting a top top manager who would be able to successfully integrate the two perspectives, so he'll cut Rafa far more slack than some would like.

Perhaps, but what is also surprising is that Rafa would appear to have mellowed/matured/been cowed to the extent where he is able to accept the situation. Would he have done the same at Valencia once his stock had risen? No chance. I don't believe Benitez has been remotely swayed by realpolitik before now. I remain unconvinced that he's changed much in that regard. Wenger and Benitez are very different animals.

Perhaps, but what is also surprising is that Rafa would appear to have mellowed/matured/been cowed to the extent where he is able to accept the situation. Would he have done the same at Valencia once his stock had risen? No chance. I don't believe Benitez has been remotely swayed by realpolitik before now. I remain unconvinced that he's changed much in that regard. Wenger and Benitez are very different animals.

If he has not changed, what then is the reason for his actions? Valencia and LFC are totally different situations.

I think people forget easily that Rafa has invested more than 5 years of extremely hard work in the club. As would be the case with anyone, he wants to see the rewards of his efforts. Money is just part of it, I believe he wants to win, desperately so (like all slightly egomaniac top managers), and at the same time stuff it down the throats of the press in the UK. He understands well that the team is playing poorly and that he will have to do things slightly differently, with the press and with his hierarchy.

If he has not changed, what then is the reason for his actions? Valencia and LFC are totally different situations.

I think people forget easily that Rafa has invested more than 5 years of extremely hard work in the club. As would be the case with anyone, he wants to see the rewards of his efforts. Money is just part of it, I believe he wants to win, desperately so (like all slightly egomaniac top managers), and at the same time stuff it down the throats of the press in the UK. He understands well that the team is playing poorly and that he will have to do things slightly differently, with the press and with his hierarchy.

That's your opinion, but it isn't mine. In my opinion, Rafa is more complex and certainly more politically minded than that. There are obvious constraints on him at the moment, but he can't resist railing against them (that's not a criticism, just an observation). He's playing a very different game to Purslow.

I believe Benitez has assessed that he's hit the high watermark of his career at Liverpool under H & G, so his strategy is either to outlast them and hope for a more benevolent owner who will still want him at the club, or to pitch for the best alternative (Juventus probably won't be the only club looking to replace their manager in the summer).