You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A long-time friend of my family died in tragic circumstances several years ago.  He was a passionate animal rights activist, vegetarian, former hunt saboteur and for decades rescued, fostered, rehabilitated and re-homed (often to himself) mistreated, neglected and homeless dogs.  To watch him with them was a real lesson, as he took in animals that were a long way past being able to be domestic pets, but by absorbing them into his already usually 5 or 6 strong pack and using a natural kindness and ability to connect with them he turned them all around without fail, either adding them to his own brood or ensuring they found the right home to give them the life every dog should have.

When the police entered his home he had been there for a little while.  One he had fairly recently taken on was sat guarding him, and it took the police a long time to be able to access the body and do what they needed to do.

To me there is very little in life so loyal, stoic and moving as a dog's bond with it's humans.  Gets me in a way most things never could.

(The dog in question was re-homed to a good friend of his who has also devoted much of her life to improving the lot of animals in need.  She's turned out well and leads a great life.)

• Upvote 2

Since my mum put our old dog down who I mentioned a month or two back, she's taken in two more rescue dogs. A welsh collie who is about 1yr old called Seren, and a 4yr old I don't know what called Alfie. She's trying to get them to work together, to help Seren come out of her shell a bit more because she's been in kennels all her life. Seren is very underweight, and Alfie very overweight so she is enjoying that challenge too.

It seems as though Seren is settling in a lot better now Alfie is around, she will willingly go out into the garden now. At first she had to be really encouraged and would only go out once a day for the toilet, because my mums place backs onto a main road and the noise scared her.

Anyway what I wanted to say was, neither of them seem to like me. I wondered if anyone had any experience with this? After having Tye for about half of my life, like I said before, he would come and say hello to absolutely anyone, for some reason I assumed all dogs were like this, and never understood why people were afraid of dogs. But after being bitten a few times by Seren and jumped at by her, and having Alfie constantly growling at me, I don't know what to do?

I know they're new to this whole thing and have to get used to me, but apparently they're fine with other visitors, just me they don't seem to like. Any tips?

Seren at the beach

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-17%20at%2022.05.

And Alfie not doing anything.

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-17%20at%2022.06.

• Upvote 3