You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

David Bentley

RedinSweden

Just thought I'd point out, you know when people say 'If Rafa had money he'd have bought Simao, Silva etc. so don't blame him'

He'd also have bought David Fucking Bentley

And then we could have judged him for it. And Barry. I wouldn't want either of them here but if the man entrusted with winning our trophies wants them then he should be able to have them. If he'd had Bentley and Barry etc and they'd failed I'd probably be in the Rafa out camp right now. As it is, I'm not, because he's been given nothing.

And then we could have judged him for it. And Barry. I wouldn't want either of them here but if the man entrusted with winning our trophies wants them then he should be able to have them. If he'd had Bentley and Barry etc and they'd failed I'd probably be in the Rafa out camp right now. As it is, I'm not, because he's been given nothing.

Which is fair enough but at the same time you can't use the Silva deal as an example of something to back Rafa up with because we don't know how that would have went either.

I get what you mean, but if people use Riera to bash Rafa when he wanted a better player, I'm going to point it out to defend him.

But then since when has money ever been a barometer for measuring success.

£11 Million is still £11 Million. It still could have been better spent

I seriously hope the fuck you're not putting Benayoun down as a bad signing?

I'm not.

I'm just saying Yossi is a quality player who cost us very little.

But because he cost £5 Million it doesn't matter, and he was marked down a good Rafa signing. Had he turned out to be shit we'd be getting the usual excuses.

Who would you rather have, Silva for £25 Million or Yossi for £5 Million.

No doubt Rafa has been knocked back with some signings, but he should be doing better with what he has. No doubt about it IMO.

Silva. But what happens if we signed Silva for 25 million and he turned out like Keane? How do we know that he would have cut it in the premier league?

Bentley is not a player we need. Regardless of the fact he wouldn't get in the team, and also disregarding that he has no place in the standard 4231 formation, he is also another player who looks for an outlet ball rather than creating an outlet himself. What we need is a wide player who is dangerous moving WITH the ball, and is capable and mobile enough to create space for himself when WE are in possession.

At the moment, we have

Riera - tidy with the ball and capable of running at opponents, but lack of pace means he seldom does so. Has a good shot on him but again it's not seen very often.

Benayoun - very mobile and excellent running at defenders, and like Luis Garcia before, can score himself. Not pacy but can get away if given half a yard. Yossi bests describes the sort of player than is required.

Babel - blindingly quick but very wasteful, and too often telegraphs his move on his opponents by cutting inside all the time. Passing is not a strong point so more useful as an outlet out wide.

Kuyt - has mobility but lacks finesse and pace, and only seems to have a decent first touch when playing a higher standard of opposition, who aren't as intent on closing him down as lesser sides are. Isn't someone who is likely to play the killer pass.

Dossena and El Zhar are squad options, and El Zhar in particular is so often used as a sub, it always looks as though he's not on the same wavelength as his teammates. Rather than discussing his ability, part of it is down to the fact that teammates are flagging a little by the the time he comes on to try and make an impact. Dossena is a left wing-back, so would no doubt look more comfortable on the pitch if we had a 3-man defence. He is also a mobile player but lacking pace.

• 4 years later...