You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Recommend a British TV drama

Paul

We're all HBO obsessives these days (and rightly so), but let's try and get some recommendations on the go for British stuff. I'll kick off with one that I'm not even certain fits into the category of drama. However, it probably doesn't fit anywhere else either, so fuck it - The Singing Detective.

When I first saw it, it was just about the weirdest and yet most compelling thing I'd ever seen. Characters switch between reality and fantasy, as well as past and present. They also break into song at bizarre moments and Joanne Whalley provided many an evening of "tight undies" viewing. In many ways, it was such bizarre telly that I can't see its like ever getting commissioned again in this country. However, Dennis Potter could largely get away with whatever he wanted, such was his stature. Great stuff.

Guest ian garro
Our friends in he north was fucking excellent, available now on your nearest uk tv torrent site. It was a completely engrossing series delaing with the miners strikes, police corruption, the gradual decline of society, and alzheimers amongst others. Fucking Top banana TV

One of the best British drama series ever, in my opinion.

Also, State of Play.

Both well written, brilliantly acted.

Loads of good stuff from the 60s and 70s - The Big Flame, After A Lifetime, War Game, Cathy Come Home, Vote For Nigel Barton, Brimstone And Treacle, Blue Remembered Hills, United Kingdom, Days Of Hope (this was the 80s, I think) and then later stuff like Bleasedale's The Muscle Market and The Black Stuff. The BBC put out loads of diverse and brilliant material and a trawl through their archive would probably blow my mind. Writers like Loach, Potter, Jim Allen and Peter McDougal (Just Another Saturday and A Boy's Game) were just unmissable. Even the tedious Mike Leigh was just beginning to bore people in those golden days. Stuff Like Elephants and Edge Of Darkness were also classic dramas that should still be shown. Also Absence Of War, David Hare's take on Kinnock's pathetic campaign to become PM.

If Auf Wiedersehn Pet counts then the first two series are up there with the best telly ever made.

Surely it does. I know I may be young but I loved that programme. Also the first couple of series of 'Hustle'. That was some serious telly right there.

Cracker box set.

Written by Jimmy McGovern.

As well as Coltrane, the show starred Christopher Eccleston as Detective Chief Inspector David Bilborough, Geraldine Somerville as love interest Detective Sergeant Jane "Panhandle" Penhaligon, Lorcan Cranitch as loose cannon DS Jimmy Beck, Barbara Flynn as Fitz's long-suffering wife Judith.

Brilliant TV

• 6 years later...