You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Killer Flu...

Salou

Yet another panic story to keep you scared and consuming.

If Al-Qeada dont blow you up, the credit crunch will ruin you financially and then now you have this to worry about.

If you die you die, end of. Life's too short.

Well said, I remember being scared of the OXO brothers when I was a kid, they never did me any harm

Yet another panic story to keep you scared and consuming.

If Al-Qeada dont blow you up, the credit crunch will ruin you financially and then now you have this to worry about.

If you die you die, end of. Life's too short.

I'm bemused as to why people brush this off as just another scare story???

If it was allowed to spread, the results could be catastrophic. If the governments just ignored it, then people would complain, and now that they're raising concerns and making more anti-viral medicines, people are still complaining.

What can they do to look good in peoples eyes?

Silvah, it's the way the press are treating it. Instead of just giving a balanced view of it and saying anyone presenting with symptoms should just seek medical help as it's clearly treatable, they are instead peddling stories of doom and mass extinction. And I'm fucked off with it. I want a return to the days when the news sought out facts, not told everyone they're going to die. We've imported this sensationalist nonsense from US news channels and it's shit.

Silvah, it's the way the press are treating it. Instead of just giving a balanced view of it and saying anyone presenting with symptoms should just seek medical help as it's clearly treatable, they are instead peddling stories of doom and mass extinction. And I'm fucked off with it. I want a return to the days when the news sought out facts, not told everyone they're going to die. We've imported this sensationalist nonsense from US news channels and it's shit.

An interesting take on the situation mate...

Ben Goldacre: Swine flu and hype – a media illness | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

I work for the largest flu virin manufacture in the UK and this current outbreak COULD be quite serious. The thing with bird flu was that it was never transferred person to person, i.e someone with normal winter flu also got bird flu and the two strains mixed, this has already happended with swine flu. The good thing is it doesn't seem to be as strong as bird flu and so most people who have contracted it fully recover. If it continues like that it's just another strain of flu and not much to worry about although it might effect the yound more than the usual sufferers which tend to be the yound and elderly.

The real worry is that it subsides now and reapppears in a more virlalent form in the winter when the standard winter flu begins to spread. Hopefully that wot happen but they are definately not over-reacting as that could lead to millions of deaths.

There's a chance we could all get our holidays cancelled this summer which hasn't gone down well with the two girls in my team that are getting married in July.

He's blob on too. I mentioned on RAOTL that there will be a response from some people, to ignore this in defiance of the press, when they should really seek out the facts. Read the bits quoted from reputable scientists and fuck the rest off and, even the, don't be certain that they haven't twisted the quotes, chopped them up.

He's blob on too. I mentioned on RAOTL that there will be a response from some people, to ignore this in defiance of the press, when they should really seek out the facts. Read the bits quoted from reputable scientists and fuck the rest off and, even the, don't be certain that they haven't twisted the quotes, chopped them up.

Yep he's pretty much nailed the whole thing in about 500 words.

News reporting on science is generally shite, and attempting to give 'balance' to it actually distorts the picture further - we're talking about statistics probability and risk.

For flu pandemics the risk is high, but we are now so cynical of the media that we don't believe it even if they are stating the facts. That's partly the medias fault and partly our own for engorging ourselves on 24 hour rolling news.

I work for the largest flu virin manufacture in the UK and this current outbreak COULD be quite serious. The thing with bird flu was that it was never transferred person to person, i.e someone with normal winter flu also got bird flu and the two strains mixed, this has already happended with swine flu. The good thing is it doesn't seem to be as strong as bird flu and so most people who have contracted it fully recover. If it continues like that it's just another strain of flu and not much to worry about although it might effect the yound more than the usual sufferers which tend to be the yound and elderly.

The real worry is that it subsides now and reapppears in a more virlalent form in the winter when the standard winter flu begins to spread. Hopefully that wot happen but they are definately not over-reacting as that could lead to millions of deaths.

There's a chance we could all get our holidays cancelled this summer which hasn't gone down well with the two girls in my team that are getting married in July.

They better not get cancelled. I've got my honeymoon in Spetember, which I'm looking forward to more then my wedding (yes, don't worry my mrs doesn't come on this)

p.s. Are the 2 lesbians in your office hot?

I'd like to thank Mexicans for taking one for the team and being the one's who get wiped out. I'm sure you'll have a small plaque made to honour you all and stuck somewhere out of sight so we will remember than you once existed.

Peru, I'm looking at you as being next in line for future illness. You're least likely to be missed. Maybe the Welsh can be after them.

repped for quality ;)

They better not get cancelled. I've got my honeymoon in Spetember, which I'm looking forward to more then my wedding (yes, don't worry my mrs doesn't come on this)

p.s. Are the 2 lesbians in your office hot?

I'm going to Mexico in June. I have been generally thinking about all of this Swine flu business and came out with this thesis:

If two people on a flight from Cancun have swine flu, how havent the rest been infected? I believe that the air in a cabin is pressurised and that everyone is more or less a foor (if that) away from eachother. If this disease is a bad ass killer like the press is making out, why arent the other dozens infected?

It's a load of shite. It will blow over in a month anyway. If it doesn't, Thomas Cook have offered me other destinations for an exchange or a full refund including my deposit. But I'll probably go to Cancun and take the chance because if 40,000 britons went to Cancun last month and about 10 at the most got infected, I think I'll take the chance.

Here's some unintentionally funny shit, right here....

[YOUTUBE]fA29EHUcnHg[/YOUTUBE]

Anyone else think that guy might have issues?

Reminds me of a Bill Hicks joke where he was on about making weed mandatory, then some guy being made to have a bit and then saying something like "Ah I'm sorry, I was talking life seriously!" Maybe Bill was imagining a guy like that...