You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Munich Air Disaster.

WaltonRed

My concerns are Sunday at Chelski. If they are asking our fans to pay a minute's respect in silence I'm afraid there is fat chance of that happening.

We really dont need the bad press at the moment and if our away support allows hatred and venom to ruin the minutes silence you can bet we will be on the front pages again instead of the back.

I hate the mancs as much as anyone. I remember the days standing in the Kop in the mid 80's where lads would be standing on the crush barriers arms stretched out doing aeroplane impressions singing the Munich song. The hatred between the two clubs was evil.

It died down a bit after Hillsborough but our younger generation seem very keen to reignite the flames of hate again.

All I'm hoping is if we have to respect a minutes silence on Sunday, we just do it full stop.

My point about the city fans was that they are being patronised to high heaven and being "expected" to disrupt it. Give them a little bit of credit to think that they wouldnt and would show respect, not have to be made out to be cunts and have every wannabe journalist and ex-player patronising them on television before anything has even happened.

My points about United making money out of the disaster and the actual victims losing out big time still stands and a lot of Man Utd fans would agree.

Anyway, today shouldnt really be the day to discuss this.

They are being expected to disrupt it with good reason though. Expect the full works, including loads of paper planes coming from the City fans, if what I hear is true.

The Busby Babes are overrated. Because they died young they've been mythologised. It never ceases to amuse me when I hear a 15 year old cockney ManUre "fan" saying how Duncan Edwards was the greatest player ever. Deluded freaks.

I had to shake my head when the news on 5live were eulogising it while i was on the way to my tutorial tonight, something about "if you didn't know, the busby babes were on course to conquer Europe before the tragedy struck."

Erm, were they? Really?

But anyway I really feel neither here or there about the crash, it was something that happened, it was tragic, but it really has never come into my own sphere of concern. I aint from Manchester, don't have family from there, and I feel as far detached as I would if the 14.45 from Paris to Madrid went down with a bunch of Spanish farmers or something. These public acts of mourning are quite distasteful a lot of the time to be honest, whatever happened to keeping grief in house instead of banding it around the media and trying to whore out the image rights?

It galls me to see people try and score cheap points from it as well, it is quite sickening.

Reading this thread has just given me one of those horrid moments when you suddenly feel old.

I was recalling the times at the match on the kop against the mancs when I had joined in the Munich songs. You know the ones. One particular song struck me.

It begins There was an air disaster round 30 years ago.

I realised that as it is now 50 years since the crash it must be twenty odd years ago that I was singing that song. Fuck me.

I had to shake my head when the news on 5live were eulogising it while i was on the way to my tutorial tonight, something about "if you didn't know, the busby babes were on course to conquer Europe before the tragedy struck."

Imagine, had Luke Chadwick perished at an early age it would have been 'he was the next Beckham', or Lee Sharpe 'better than Giggs'. It's easy to go overboard without seeing if players develop.

• 14 years later...
55 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Sad to think that this,in a tragically ironic twist of fate,actually helped them as a club over the coming years. The sympathy,new fans and morbid fascination,in part helped them become the football business behemoth they have ultimately become,with a few bumps in the road.

My dad saw them play and said that they would probably have gone on and ruled Europe they were that good a side.

This was after he gave me a clip round the earhole when I joined in singing about Munich when I was a young and stupid teen not realising how bad it was, something I regret and am still ashamed of.

• Upvote 2

The BBC film that was brought out a couple of years ago was bizarre. David Tennant was good as Jimmy Murphy, the assistant manager who took over the reins when Matt Busby was in hospital. He also later manager Wales at the World Cup that year.

Matt Busby's family weren't happy about his portrayal as a fedora wearing cigar smoker who dressed like Fanucci from the Godfather 2. 

I'm not sure Bobby Charlton would have been too happy about the way he was portrayed too. He was made out to be a coward, crying when the plane crashed. I think he was only 18 himself at the time of the crash so it would be a normal response for an 18 year old involved in a plane crash and seeing your mates killed to act like that. 

Harry Gregg (I think) was the hero who went back and tried to rescue as many of his team mates who were still breathing. Duncan Edwards died after a few days in hospital. 

Matt Busby has always come across as a decent person, similar to Shankly and Jock Stein from humble backgrounds and always respectful in defeat.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, sir roger said:

RIP.

My dad said always that Duncan Edwards was an absolute beast for his age, and would have become one of the all-time greats.

4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

My older brother said the same about Edwards.

My dad did. 

He was dyed in he wool Liverpool my dad but always gave credit where it was due and he always said that United side was a brilliant one with Edwards being the jewel in the crown.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

The BBC film that was brought out a couple of years ago was bizarre. David Tennant was good as Jimmy Murphy, the assistant manager who took over the reins when Matt Busby was in hospital. He also later manager Wales at the World Cup that year.

Matt Busby's family weren't happy about his portrayal as a fedora wearing cigar smoker who dressed like Fanucci from the Godfather 2. 

I'm not sure Bobby Charlton would have been too happy about the way he was portrayed too. He was made out to be a coward, crying when the plane crashed. I think he was only 18 himself at the time of the crash so it would be a normal response for an 18 year old involved in a plane crash and seeing your mates killed to act like that. 

Harry Gregg (I think) was the hero who went back and tried to rescue as many of his team mates who were still breathing. Duncan Edwards died after a few days in hospital. 

Matt Busby has always come across as a decent person, similar to Shankly and Jock Stein from humble backgrounds and always respectful in defeat.

Busby,Shanks and Stein were cut from the same cloth. Hard working,honest and real football men. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1