You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Golf 2024

Code

Finally the golf season starts again, and we can upgrade the thread title from Golf 2022 to Golf 2024 ( I cant be the only one annoyed that we did not have a Golf 2023 thread)

Really close at the top of the leaderboard after the first day at The Sentry tournament. 

IMG_9708.jpeg

On 05/01/2024 at 03:15, Code said:

Finally the golf season starts again, and we can upgrade the thread title from Golf 2022 to Golf 2024 ( I cant be the only one annoyed that we did not have a Golf 2023 thread)

David E Usher started a “new” one that was all about him. 

• Upvote 1

This whole liv/Saudi thing is ruining it for me. I don’t know whose gone where and McIlroy had shown himself up for being a whopper this week although who is gonna turn down 500 million or whatever it is. Top level sport is being slowly ruined all over the world 

8 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

This whole liv/Saudi thing is ruining it for me. I don’t know whose gone where and McIlroy had shown himself up for being a whopper this week although who is gonna turn down 500 million or whatever it is. Top level sport is being slowly ruined all over the world 

What did McIlroy do wrong?

19 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Why is he a whopper?

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

His U Turn on Liv. Plus his love for Man Utd. You know I don’t like him C. 

I think it’s harsh to call it a “u-turn”.  He’s said he’s accepted that the LIV thing is not going anywhere. Especially with the PGA agreement and now Rahm going. So he’s being realistic. He’s certainly not said he’s fine with it or anything like that.  Just that him standing alone screaming into the void isn’t going to achieve anything anymore and it’s time to try and get golf back together, especially as the viewership is pretty small compared to other sports so division just cannibalises the sport. 

I hate LIV too, but accept something now has to happen to end the fighting and find a place for it. I thought McIlroys suggestion was quite sensible too. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I think it’s harsh to call it a “u-turn”.  He’s said he’s accepted that the LIV thing is not going anywhere. Especially with the PGA agreement and now Rahm going. So he’s being realistic. He’s certainly not said he’s fine with it or anything like that.  Just that him standing alone screaming into the void isn’t going to achieve anything anymore and it’s time to try and get golf back together, especially as the viewership is pretty small compared to other sports so division just cannibalises the sport. 

I hate LIV too, but accept something now has to happen to end the fighting and find a place for it. I thought McIlroys suggestion was quite sensible too. 

Let's see if he joins it when he said he wouldn't. 

35 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Let's see if he joins it when he said he wouldn't. 

Well that’s the future and we’ve no idea what that holds. For example, LIV could (and probably will) be a part of the overall year and they’re all playing it as part of a standard schedule. But we certainly can’t declare McIlroy a whopper for something he’s not done, and certainly won’t do in its current guise.

You also mentioned something about McIlroy not turning down $500m? What’s that about? Last I’d read was McIlroy said he’d never had an offer and continues to make it clear he’s not interested in one? Is there reports he’s now considering a big money offer? Now that would sadden me if it was the case. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Well that’s the future and we’ve no idea what that holds. For example, LIV could (and probably will) be a part of the overall year and they’re all playing it as part of a standard schedule. But we certainly can’t declare McIlroy a whopper for something he’s not done, and certainly won’t do in its current guise.

You also mentioned something about McIlroy not turning down $500m? What’s that about? Last I’d read was McIlroy said he’d never had an offer and continues to make it clear he’s not interested in one? Is there reports he’s now considering a big money offer? Now that would sadden me if it was the case. 

I didn’t mean him re: the 500 million I just meant in general. 

Ive always hated the whopper. 

You’re right about Liv though. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I didn’t mean him re: the 500 million I just meant in general. 

Ive always hated the whopper. 

You’re right about Liv though. 

I used to dislike McIlroy a lot, but over the last few years have grown to like him. He’s been an almost lone voice trying to protect the game. I’ve a lot of time for him now and have gone from laughing at his Masters failures to now hoping he wins it.  That’s unusual for me as I usually hold my grudges well and if anything hate the person more as the years pass. Not sure how McIlroy changed me the sneaky twat. 

19 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I used to dislike McIlroy a lot, but over the last few years have grown to like him. He’s been an almost lone voice trying to protect the game. I’ve a lot of time for him now and have gone from laughing at his Masters failures to now hoping he wins it.  That’s unusual for me as I usually hold my grudges well and if anything hate the person more as the years pass. Not sure how McIlroy changed me the sneaky twat. 

I appreciate his ability for sure and he has been vocal against Liv which was great but he grates on me and always has. I think he's fake. He probably isn't but nah he's not for me. I have though found myself wanting him to win a few times when watching him come close which is odd. 

His voice goes through me. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is definitively the story of the week so far though, amateur Nick Dunlap with a 3 shot lead heading into the last day of The American Express.

Dunlap shot a round of 60 yesterday.