You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Karen Carney

liverpoolsno9

Barton’s right. They’re all fucking crap and don’t deserve to be anywhere near this level. They bring nothing to the conversation and are only there because they cried for attention after winning the World Cup. Which none of these gargoyles were anywhere near. 

• Downvote 1

Just now, Red74 said:

Barton’s right. They’re all fucking crap and don’t deserve to be anywhere near this level. They bring nothing to the conversation and are only there because they cried for attention after winning the World Cup. Which none of these gargoyles were anywhere near. 

That's one take, I s'pose.

What gets me about some of the women who are co-commentators is that they try to sound like the worst of the blokes - they lower their voices, shout madly and make idiotic comments. Blokes don't need any help with that - they've been doing it for years. At least find your own style. And if they want to make the male and female games equal, then start using blokes for the women's game. Carney, personally, I find fairly decent - better than some of the men doing the job, but she is better on the radio, when they seem to encourage her to be herself. But the whole self-conscious indulgence is getting ridiculous, from the lipglossed Laura 'Oh, it's all so sexist, even though I'm forever tweeting pics of me in my underwear' Woods to the barking pundits who say nothing beyond 'he'll be disappointed in that' cliche.

• Upvote 3

The thing I don't understand is why they put a person that didn't play for that team in that league in the studio as an 'expert' 

Carney kept saying tonight about how well Villa had done to go 15 games unbeaten at home, which was downplaying the fact that it was 15 straight wins at home. I remember Emma Hayes calling VVD

Virgil van der dyke previously too. 

Sometimes the male 'experts' make some really daft statements too, Redknapp has made many and so has Paul Merson but they at least played in that league.

I'm all for the building of the Woman's game and equality, but I actually think it's a regressive step if you are just putting people in a role purely because they are a woman. To me it's almost patronising them now and it's tokenism.

• Upvote 1

I don’t mind the female presenters and imo they’re better than the male equivalent. However, switched over to watch city villa after we played Sheff utd the other night. Martin O’Neill was talking about one of the players using his backside to move players out the way and the girl presenting couldn’t stop giggling like a school girl idiot cos of what he’d just said. Even the ex girl footballer was cringing when looking at her. 

Woods, Logan & Cates are all excellent presenters imo.  Scott is OK but can be a bit annoying.

Punditry, her accent fucking annoys me intensly but Hayes is very knowledgeable and provides great insight imo.  Carney is OK, disagree with some of the stuff she says but no worse than many male pundits.  There's another female on TNT I think who is decent but can't remember her name.  Can't stand Sue Smith tbh but she's still marginally better than some of the clowns on Sky.

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Same as the men. Some good, some not so good.

All the females at least seem like they’ve prepared for the job they’re being paid for though.

Not sure that’s always the case with the men. 

Your first point - 'same as the men' - seems to have shot the foot of your second remark.

I would rather not have women pundits or commentators involved in the men’s game but I’m pissing into the wind expecting anything will change now . 
I daresay we’re one step away from having guideline quotas on how many women that must be employed. Bet they don’t have them in Saudi Arabia mind 

Sorry, I don't like any of them on the commentary or punditry. I don't know why they have birds commentating on men's games, it's dreadful. It feels wrong and sounds wrong! There were 2 birds commentating on one of our recent games, it was doing my head in. Awful!

The presenters like our Kelly are fine though. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Red74 said:

A bit of advice - if ever you think of starting a post with "Barton's right", don't.  He isn't. About anything. Ever.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Baltar said:

Sorry, I don't like any of them on the commentary or punditry. I don't know why they have birds commentating on men's games, it's dreadful. It feels wrong and sounds wrong! There were 2 birds commentating on one of our recent games, it was doing my head in. Awful!

The presenters like our Kelly are fine though. 

So, you're saying they should know their place; introducing the men, not commenting on the matches?

I heard the two "birds" doing our match and they were no worse than most male commentary teams (and better than some of them).

Men have been commentating on the women’s game for years.

Men have been managing women’s teams for years.

The best assistant referee we have in the PL is a woman who almost always calls it right.

The issue isn’t punditry, it’s annoying voices, and an inability to shut up because they feel the need fill every second with talk. Calm down, deep breath, and remember silence is golden.

Loads of male pundits like Carragher, McManaman, Neville, Beglin, and that tit Richards are equally annoying - both in terms of voices and punditry.

Not a single female pundit, however annoying, has me entertaining thoughts of murder in the way that Daren Fletcher does.

Amazon’s Stadium FX audio setting was a blessing, and will be sadly missed in future TV deals.

• Upvote 2