You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tottenham (A) - Sat 30th Sep 2023 (5:30pm)

Trumo

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

We always seem to play at Spurs in a late kick-off. I'm sure travelling Reds can attest to that as they are the ones faced with a mission to get out of the stadium, unlikely to make the last train back up north. Instead they probably end up packing into a Premier Inn and posting photos of their morning fry-ups on the breakfast thread! Last season's game finished 2-1 to the Reds thanks to a Mo double. His first was some sharp finishing on the volley after receiving a pass from Darwin, and his second was an impudent dink over Lloris after being played in by Dier's dreadful attempt at a headed back pass. The Londoners hit the woodwork twice via Perisic, and found a consolation thanks to crisp finishing from Sir Harold of Kaneshire. He can barely string a sentence together but he's an exceptional striker. The year before was the game ruined by the officials.

Spurs have gone into the new season with yet another new coach, sold Kane to Bayern and marginalised Lloris. From what I can tell, Postecoglou has them playing with a front 2 with Son more central, and with Maddison as a playmaker behind them. They've had a decent start to the season themselves, and not yet gone all Spurs.

For us, Thiago is still a doubt but there is a possibility that Trent makes the bench. We rested Ali, Virg, Robbo, Macca and Mo against Leicester in the League Cup, and put some more minutes into the legs of Endo and Grav. We should have close to a full compliment for Jurgen to choose from, and they are pretty much all playing really well. I'm really liking that whatever the starting line-up, we have some really viable options to come off the bench, and they have been making a telling contribution. While it's great that we can recover from a goal deficit to come back and win, it would be better to take the lead, control proceedings and then stepped on our opponents' throats. Really focus on eradicating the sloppiness we see too often early on. Concentration, attitude and application. Go there, grab the 3 points again and head back home. Get it done!

• Upvote 12

Arguably my two favourite people in football squaring off in a massive game. 

If you know even a little of Ange's background, you'll know how absolutely motivated he will be for this one. If he can get his players to be even half of that, then it's going to be a tough game. 

I'd be stunned if this one ends 0-0!

Madisson will be very important for Spurs so hopefully his knee injury is more serious than they think and he's out. Though we've been playing well at times this season I think he's the type of player our system hasn't figured out how to manage yet. A true "6" would have been useful in games like this. I would play Joe Gomez at right back even if Trent is fit (Trent can go into midfield if he's fit to play). 

Same midfield and attack as Villa & WHU.

Defence depending on who is fit, assume Gomez, VVD, Konate and Robbo. 

They’ll come flying out the gates. We can’t afford to be sleepwalking into another game.

IMO, I think we should change tactics a bit on Saturday and at Brighton. Instead of trying to dominate the ball, I think we should be happy to concede possession, get behind the ball and play on the break. I don’t think either side would expect it and the hopefully they overcommit and play into our hands. 

1 hour ago, bossy said:

This will be a tough game. I’d love us to batter them with style, skill and fire, but I’ll be happy with any spawny win. Come on you mighty Red Men.

I know it is early but I think this game is psychologically pivotal. A good win here and we will be challenging City for the title. A defeat while not season defining will halt some of the momentum we appear to be building and will be a big kick in the balls.

2 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

I know it is early but I think this game is psychologically pivotal. A good win here and we will be challenging City for the title. A defeat while not season defining will halt some of the momentum we appear to be building and will be a big kick in the balls.

A loss would deffo pull the rug a bit, particularly so early in the season. We just need to keep everything in context and keep going regardless, the old one game at a time philosophy.