You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Welcome to Liverpool, Alexis Mac Allister

El Rojo

Played well at DM last night. As said above, you always seem to get a couple of sloppy passes from him, but also get many good ones.

He’s doing the defensive part of the job well, covering the right spaces, picking up loose balls, winning duels on the ground and also fairly competitive in the air.

Very intelligent footballer, which is why he can do a job in different positions I guess.

8 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

His Fulham thunderbastard was Premier League Goal of the Month.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/alexis-mac-allister-wins-premier-league-goal-month-december 

Rightly so. Cracker of a goal.

I wasnt crazy about him at first. Looks like he runs out of gas around the 60 min mark but the more I watch him I can see he's a good player.

I think his positioning is mainly spot on whenever he's played as DM. He does get caught for pace sometimes but even Fabinho did, as Endo also does.

I like him - a 7/10 every game type. Trophy winning teams need players like him. Gini, Hendo, Milner, Fabinho etc.

It’d be interesting to see him playing more offensively with Endo behind him.

Overall, I didn’t think we’d be so competitive this season with four new midfielders. Thought we were in for a dreaded season of transition. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

It’d be interesting to see him playing more offensively with Endo behind him.

Overall, I didn’t think we’d be so competitive this season with four new midfielders. Thought we were in for a dreaded season of transition. 

I actually don’t want to see them together. For me, they are both 6s with the other players we have available for the front 5. If Endo plays, we can afford to have more attack-minded players than Macca in the 8 (Curtis/Szobo), and if Macca plays the 6, Endo shouldn’t start.

For now I’m preferring Mac Allister over Endo (especially at home), even if Endo has been a pleasant surprise. It’s great to have to relatively different options in the role. They are well suited to different types of games.

Still don't think we've seen the player he was at Brighton.  I don't think he's cut out to be a 6.  He's not great at receiving the ball facing his own goal, and his positional awareness isn't great.  He'll be better playing further forward, I'm fairly sure of that. 

18 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Still don't think we've seen the player he was at Brighton.  I don't think he's cut out to be a 6.  He's not great at receiving the ball facing his own goal, and his positional awareness isn't great.  He'll be better playing further forward, I'm fairly sure of that. 

I agree I don’t think the single defensive midfielder is his best position. He’s a knitter and passer, and sneaky tackler, ideally the middle man between the more defensive and more attacking midfielders.

6 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

I agree I don’t think the single defensive midfielder is his best position. He’s a knitter and passer, and sneaky tackler, ideally the middle man between the more defensive and more attacking midfielders.

You can reasonably play him anywhere in midfield, that is his value. 

Both at Brighton and Argentina, he could play well deeper or in a creative role, and I don't see that changing here, because as with Brighton and Argentina, at Liverpool, he's playing in a successful team with midfielders who can both defend and attack.

5 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

That was more like it, class performance.

First half in particular was the best any of our midfielders have played this season.

Just now, manwiththestick said:

He was very good today, broke up loads of Bournemouth attacks on the sly.

World class positioning throughout. Barely even needed to make a tackle while excelling as a 6. Great stuff. 

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

World class positioning throughout. Barely even needed to make a tackle while excelling as a 6. Great stuff. 

Yep.

Actually looks a bit quicker and fitter than in his early outings as well.

Interesting to hear Klopp analyse our season and performances since (and including) the Utd game. Was practically laughing at Maccas critics (Redknapp and Carra included), saying he never had the same opinion.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He's been improving all the time. I still don't know if he'll make a world class 6, but that performance today is exactly where he needs to be. His forward passing at times is brilliant and I felt he took a few more risks today with Trent not being around. 

He’s a world class 6 if we can keep the team compact (which we’ve been doing lately). As Klopp said, not many 6s look great when they have to cover large areas on their own. Probably only Rodri right now can do both.

I like the way Endo has played for us, but Macca is quite a bit better for our team in terms of passing and positioning (to get us forward quickly). Great to have both though!

1 minute ago, lebron said:

He’s a world class 6 if we can keep the team compact (which we’ve been doing lately). As Klopp said, not many 6s look great when they have to cover large areas on their own. Probably only Rodri right now can do both.

I like the way Endo has played for us, but Macca is quite a bit better for our team in terms of passing and positioning (to get us forward quickly). Great to have both though!

I don't just think it's the defensive work he falls a little short on. He's often careless and a bit lacking when receiving the ball from defenders. He has his pocket picked quite a bit and is sometimes too easily rushed with his passing because of his of his lack of awareness of what is round him. He may improve those aspects and today they weren't an issue at all. But in just the last game he was quite poor at those parts of the game and has been often this season. We need more of today, including against opposition with a good press.