You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid (A) Champions League 15/3/2023

Bjornebye

Chelsea were 2-0 up there last season.

Ajax won there 4-1 a couple of seasons back.

Score the first goal and make a fight of it.

I can see something mad happening on Weds. Not saying we’ll get through, but I feel it’ll be a crazy game. Like the 4-4 v Chelsea under Rafa.

Power. Ruthlessness. Invention. Drive. Energy.

I don't ask for much.

We've given ourselves far too much to do, so another 3-goal miracle against a Carlo Ancelotti team is highly unlikely, even if the Ataturk in Istanbul is hosting the final once again.

Cutting out the doziness and stupid decision-making would go a long way towards earning a result that gives us a semblance of pride. At least do that much.

Oh, and fuck off UEFA, obviously.

• Upvote 4

I dont see a comeback happening overall but for the love of god, the team need to turn up and play their hearts out, try win the game at least, at least try show they arent a bunch of damp squibs who lose to Bournemouth, even if its not enough to win the tie.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tenfolder said:

I dont see a comeback happening overall but for the love of god, the team need to turn up and play their hearts out, try win the game at least, at least try show they arent a bunch of damp squibs who lose to Bournemouth, even if its not enough to win the tie.

Isn’t that part of the problem though? I’ve no doubt they’ll show up in a high profile game like Wednesday. Probably won’t be enough given the three goal deficit, but they’ll have a go.

Guaranteed we’d lose to just about any bottom half side if we were playing them away next Saturday, though. 

This club can look back at a big number of unbelievable comebacks and turning games in the second leg.

But I can’t recall a single one of them being done in away games. Add to that the only club that can probably match our track record of turning things around in the home game of a two leg contest is Real.

If we win this it will be a bigger achievement than Istanbul and the 4-0 over Barcelona. Can’t see it happening unfortunatelyx hope I’m wrong.

4 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Isn’t that part of the problem though? I’ve no doubt they’ll show up in a high profile game like Wednesday. Probably won’t be enough given the three goal deficit, but they’ll have a go.

Guaranteed we’d lose to just about any bottom half side if we were playing them away next Saturday, though. 

Absolutely agree but at this point id much rather see actual effort rather than turn up and expect to lose, put little to no effort in then go on a 2-3 week break off the back of two shite results(which is likely anyway but hey).

• Upvote 1

We're capable of doing it. And I think we'll make a good go of it. Ancelotti might be too wise to let us get away with doing something like that to him again though. 

A couple of things playing into our favour are ironically the scoreline being what it is, a few of their players might go into this thinking the tie is already over, if we show a bit of Intensity™ then we could catch them out and the score could be level before they know what's hit them. 

The other big thing is they've got ye olde El Classico on Sunday, which is a game they'll be desperate to win so they can gain some ground on Barca, some players could be rested, some could phone it in to avoid injury. Barca seem to be Madrid's bogey team as much as Madrid are ours so they might be preoccupied mentally. 

Who knows, the stars could align and we might show some fight on the same night they take their eye off us. We've got form for this kind of thing so I'm never going to write us off again. 

• Upvote 1

There's an interesting gameplan element to being 3 goals down in a two leg tie. Do you go all guns blazing to get the first goal but risk blowing yourself out or do you play a regular game then once you hopefully get the 1st goal, you kick it into gear? We are a team that does the former whilst if Madrid were in our shoes, they'd do the latter.

Don't think it actually matters because we won't advance but it's more fun to think about that tactical element than to just keep repeating how crap we are.