You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Can't see it. Zaha's about 1 in 3 for a dire team, so he'd be better here, right? Wrong. Like Benteke was at Villa, he gets a lot of the ball, and he knows they'll look for him at the earliest opportunity. He wouldn't get that here, and running into blind alleys in the hope you'll squeeze through the odd time wouldn't fly either.

The classic big player for a poor side, otherwise known as Darren Bent syndrome. A decent enough player, best left where he is.

8 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

He'd need to realise he wouldn't get even half the decisions he currently gets playing for us. He's one of the best in the league at "manufacturing" contact, but if he thinks that'd be effective in a Liverpool shirt then Mo Salah would like a word.

Last time he wasn’t getting freekicks there were cries of racism so he’d still get them for us.

I thought about it in the summer on a free I’d take him and plenty of other big clubs will as well.

30 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Zara’s a brilliant player. Don’t know how you could watch him and think he’s not useful. Causes absolute chaos and his output has become quite impressive in a mid table side.

I like him too, though I’m not sure he’s what we need. The fact that Klopp has doubled up players on him at least once too is a compliment to him. 

37 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Can't see it. Zaha's about 1 in 3 for a dire team, so he'd be better here, right? Wrong. Like Benteke was at Villa, he gets a lot of the ball, and he knows they'll look for him at the earliest opportunity. He wouldn't get that here, and running into blind alleys in the hope you'll squeeze through the odd time wouldn't fly either.

The classic big player for a poor side, otherwise known as Darren Bent syndrome. A decent enough player, best left where he is.

These are probably fair points too. 

Zaha on a free ability wise would be a very good signing for someone.

Reasons against would be that he's 29 now. Also is he able to press? I haven't seen enough of him to know. If he can't/won't then no point. And the third thing is he seems like a bit of a weird guy, would he fit into the team ethic?

33 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We don't need somebody in Zahas position its probably the last place we need somebody, we also need younger players. For a club that's skint free or not its spending wages where we don't need them spent.

I think the squad is a pacy wide player short actually. Seeing it at the moment with no Diaz or Jota. Another fast one who can play either side would be great.

1 hour ago, etho said:

Reasons against would be that he's 29 now. Also is he able to press? I haven't seen enough of him to know. If he can't/won't then no point. And the third thing is he seems like a bit of a weird guy, would he fit into the team ethic?

Couple of years ago I would go for it but now not so much. He always causes us problems but I think all the players we bring in should be 25 or younger.

Want to get back to energy and intensity and a players peak ahead of them. Not worrying which players are starting to pick up injuries, on a big wage and potentially kicking off for not playing. 

12 hours ago, etho said:

30 in a couple of weeks.

I watched most of the porto vs benfica game last night. 

Now I know why the players from the Portuguese league tend to hit the ground running in the Premiership. The game is played at a frenetic pace. 

And as for my findings. Yep, those two defensive midfielders for benfica could more than cut the mustard here. Especially the taller Portugese kid. He's like fabinho, minus the lead boots. 

Declan Rice & Caicedo in January and Bellingham next summer and the midfields sorted for the next 5 years. That’ll cost us £200 mill, which is not far off what forest spent last summer. 

Unfortunately this is what a big club with ambition would do, we’ll fuck around till the last minute and bring in another injury prone shit head who’ll offer us nothing. 

5 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Declan Rice & Caicedo in January and Bellingham next summer and the midfields sorted for the next 5 years. That’ll cost us £200 mill, which is not far off what forest spent last summer. 

Unfortunately this is what a big club with ambition would do, we’ll fuck around till the last minute and bring in another injury prone shit head who’ll offer us nothing. 

It would cost £200 just for Rice and Bellingham.  We may get Caicedo the other two we won't due to the fees involved.