You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Winter of discontent

littletedwest

Running out of fuel/panic buying etc is down to the general public being selfish cunts and a media creating a story out of nothing major and then (sorry for the pun) adding fuel to a fire they started themselves, however I'm confused if lack of drivers is due Brexit, Covid or some other fuck up by our government. 

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Running out of fuel/panic buying etc is down to the general public being selfish cunts and a media creating a story out of nothing major and then (sorry for the pun) adding fuel to a fire they started themselves, however I'm confused if lack of drivers is due Brexit, Covid or some other fuck up by our government. 

Lack of drivers is a combination of Brexit and corona

People have been idiots but considering there is a actual driver shortage and considering this gmnts relationship with the truth,its hardly surprising they have took their 'dont panic 'messege with a pinch of salt.

Meanwhile the predictable nothing to do with us messege is already being pumped out.

And the irony of Tories telling people not be to selfish cunts is a thing of wonder.

15 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Pretty thorough. He's passed the medical, but the application for the licence so he can start the training is still in the system and you can't get through to them for an update.

The DVLA is so far behind it's ridiculous. My 3 year medical renewal is nowhere to be seen and my licence expired a fortnight ago.

Good thread on how difficult its been to become a driver over the past decade or so. Very little forward thinking, training or encouragement offered by our government and we're now reaping the rewards. In many industries we've as a country lazily relied on cheaper overseas labour.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

“The EU workers we speak to will not go to the UK for a short-term visa to help the UK out of the shit they created themselves,” said Edwin Atema, the head of research and enforcement at the Netherlands-based FNV union, which represents drivers across the bloc.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/27/eu-lorry-drivers-not-help-britain-ease-fuel-crisis-union?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1632736485

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

“The EU workers we speak to will not go to the UK for a short-term visa to help the UK out of the shit they created themselves,” said Edwin Atema, the head of research and enforcement at the Netherlands-based FNV union, which represents drivers across the bloc.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/27/eu-lorry-drivers-not-help-britain-ease-fuel-crisis-union?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1632736485

Cant blame them.

The arrogance of this country never fails to astound.

59 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Good thread on how difficult its been to become a driver over the past decade or so. Very little forward thinking, training or encouragement offered by our government and we're now reaping the rewards. In many industries we've as a country lazily relied on cheaper overseas labour.

He knows it's bloody hard work, but he needs a change as he's stagnating where he is.

He has a degree in I.T and has been doing the same job, on low pay, with only miniscule pay rises for over 10 years.

His line manager is an absolute dickhead who hasn't got a clue what she's doing and he has basically been doing her job for a pittance while she takes the plaudits.

Not long ago, he spotted something amiss and saved the company a huge amount of money  but got no recognition for it.

There is no chance of him advancing there or getting a pay increase commensurate with what he actually does, which should be literally twice what he earns, he can't afford a place of his own on the money he's on and he's had enough, and I can't say I blame him.

So he's taken out a loan and is trying to change direction at the age of 36.

He loves driving and doesn't mind his own company so hopefully things work out for him.

He deserves it.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Rice Lane Sainsbury's looked pretty normal today.

Well, may I ask what you expected to see when you went past Rice Lane Sainsbury's? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically?

• Upvote 3

Dickheads queuing for fuel unnecessarily.

Self righteous dickheads, who probably ticked the Brexit box to rid themselves of Johnny Foreigner and the Tory box as Bozza is a ‘good lad’, positioning themselves as the ‘non idiots’ in  the story. 

Beyond dickhead, dickheads, who have probably done all three. 

That just leaves the good people of the GF (most of them anyway) who continue to show Britain the way.

This country needs a GF political party pronto.

#StringvestForPrimeMinister (The GF Party respects its elders).

Why are people dickheads for filling their tank? Shelves have been empty for weeks due to a lack of drivers, the haulage associations are now saying the fuel companies are short of drivers. If you need your car it's borderline negligible not to fill up, that's not to mention the inevitable price rises coming down the tracks.

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

He knows it's bloody hard work, but he needs a change as he's stagnating where he is.

He has a degree in I.T and has been doing the same job, on low pay, with only miniscule pay rises for over 10 years.

His line manager is an absolute dickhead who hasn't got a clue what she's doing and he has basically been doing her job for a pittance while she takes the plaudits.

Not long ago, he spotted something amiss and saved the company a huge amount of money  but got no recognition for it.

There is no chance of him advancing there or getting a pay increase commensurate with what he actually does, which should be literally twice what he earns, he can't afford a place of his own on the money he's on and he's had enough, and I can't say I blame him.

So he's taken out a loan and is trying to change direction at the age of 36.

He loves driving and doesn't mind his own company so hopefully things work out for him.

He deserves it.

Good luck to him. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, No2 said:

Why are people dickheads for filling their tank? Shelves have been empty for weeks due to a lack of drivers, the haulage associations are now saying the fuel companies are short of drivers. If you need your car it's borderline negligible not to fill up, that's not to mention the inevitable price rises coming down the tracks.

Everyones a dickhead mate. 

10 minutes ago, No2 said:

The key word is ‘unnecessarily’. By that I mean, you don’t need to be filling up during the next few days. Give those who need it the chance to fill up, see if that alleviates the situation in the short term as we’re told it will. If that doesn’t happen, then that’s another debate. 

Apart from anything else, some of the current behaviour at the pumps is giving the Tory Party a ‘get out’ over a situation they have significant responsibility for. 

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

The key word is ‘unnecessarily’. By that I mean, you don’t need to be filling up during the next few days. Give those who need it the chance to fill up, see if that alleviates the situation in the short term as we’re told it will. If that doesn’t happen, then that’s another debate. 

It's not so much people filling up, it's those who not only fill up, but fill jerry cans along with it.

Granted there is a £30 limit in a lot of places, but you get selfish gobshites completely ignoring that.

1 minute ago, Harry's Lad said:

It's not so much people filling up, it's those who not only fill up, but fill jerry cans along with it.

Granted there is a £30 limit in a lot of places, but you get selfish gobshites completely ignoring that.

Yes, you’ve made my point better than I did. I’ve no issue with people filling up whatever they need to ensure they can get to work or are able to carry out other essential travel. 

My problem is those who’ve dashed out, filled their gas guzzlers up, then returned the vehicle to the drive where it will stay apart from the odd trip to the shops. The jerry can fillers are equally selfish and even more irresponsible. 

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Yes, you’ve made my point better than I did. I’ve no issue with people filling up whatever they need to ensure they can get to work or are able to carry out other essential travel. 

My problem is those who’ve dashed out, filled their gas guzzlers up, then returned the vehicle to the drive where it will stay apart from the odd trip to the shops. The jerry can fillers are equally selfish and even more irresponsible. 

A case in point, there are people who live in our close, a family of 3. They have 4 cars. The wife is retired, the husband works from home and the daughter works locally. They tanked up all 4 cars over the weekend.

Just why they did this and why they have 4 cars when there is only 3 of them, well, you work it out.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

A case in point, there are people who live in our close, a family of 3. They have 4 cars. The wife is retired, the husband works from home and the daughter works locally. They tanked up all 4 cars over the weekend.

Just why they did this and why they have 4 cars when there is only 3 of them, well, you work it out.

lookingthroughthewindow-russell-crowe.gi

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

lookingthroughthewindow-russell-crowe.gi

This guy is essentially the wife, although she usually does it whilst peeking from behind the curtains. 

Her real skill is inventing a whole back story to what she’s seen, which in her head is the gospel truth. It goes something like this…

I’ve just seen him at No.35 going out in his car. I reckon he’s had an argument with his wife about going out for fuel. It’s gone too far and he’s murdered her with a pick axe. Now I think about it, I definitely heard a scream. I think you should go round and investigate. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

This guy is essentially the wife, although she usually does it whilst peeking from behind the curtains. 

Her real skill is inventing a whole back story to what she’s seen, which in her head is the gospel truth. It goes something like this…

I’ve just seen him at No.35 going out in his car. I reckon he’s had an argument with his wife about going out for fuel. It’s gone too far and he’s murdered her with a pick axe. Now I think about it, I definitely heard a scream. I think you should go round and investigate. 

You live in the same street as Kurtz?