You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Halsey: Referee standards have dropped to alarming levels  

TLW

5 hours ago, No2 said:

Jurgen won't be happy with the 9 o'clock start.

Brought back memories of an 11am start at Anfield vs red mancs. Weird.

I think it’s the one we lost 3-1 when Beckham scored a free kick. 

3 hours ago, Kevin D said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68675690

"He asked me about a decision and I said to him that I will speak to him inside and not outside on the field of play. He then continued to question me and I repeated that I would speak to him inside. He then said, 'it's the same every week, you [expletive]'."

A bit more from the echo earlier. Reid certainly knows Paul Tierney pretty well. 

Screenshot_20240327_121713_LFCEcho.jpg

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

A bit more from the echo earlier. Reid certainly knows Paul Tierney pretty well. 

Screenshot_20240327_121713_LFCEcho.jpg

You'd ordinarily have sympathy with Reid if his team weren't a useless bunch of cunts who were moaning because they conceded a goal 2 minutes later due to not being able to keep the ball. That decision might have been incorrect but they lost the match due to their own shitness.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You'd ordinarily have sympathy with Reid if his team weren't a useless bunch of cunts who were moaning because they conceded a goal 2 minutes later due to not being able to keep the ball. That decision might have been incorrect but they lost the match due to their own shitness.

I don't disagree with that. But i do also agree that Paul Tierney is a massive cunt. 

• Upvote 1

That new rule about ball-boys not being allowed to throw the ball back is gonna be a dream for the time-wasting keepers we get at Anfield each week.

The farce of watching Coote waste time chasing someone to put aa ball on a cone was farcical. There's a game going on for fucks sake.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Jennings said:

That new rule about ball-boys not being allowed to throw the ball back is gonna be a dream for the time-wasting keepers we get at Anfield each week.

The farce of watching Coote waste time chasing someone to put aa ball on a cone was farcical. There's a game going on for fucks sake.

When did they decide this was suddenly a thing then?

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

In hadn't realised that was a new thing. I only noticed it for the first time yesterday. Well I've noticed the cones before, but always thought a ball boy sat with them. Yesterday it looked like the ball boys job is to get a ball, put it on a cone and disappear. 

I looked it up just and yeah they have made it a new rule as 'home teams were gaining an advantage'

The very definition of fiddling while Rome burns.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/13103555/premier-league-rule-change-to-prevent-ball-boys-and-girls-handing-match-ball-back-to-players

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

I looked it up just and yeah they have made it a new rule as 'home teams were gaining an advantage'

The very definition of fiddling while Rome burns.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/13103555/premier-league-rule-change-to-prevent-ball-boys-and-girls-handing-match-ball-back-to-players

Why are they changing these rules midseason. I have no real opinion on it to be honest, but it doesn't seem to make sense you'd bring it in with 10 games to go. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Why are they changing these rules midseason. I have no real opinion on it to be honest, but it doesn't seem to make sense you'd bring it in with 10 games to go. 

They probably had some analysis that suggested we have scored x amount of goals at home as a result of existing situation and then thought 'yeah we need to stop that'....

And here we are.

• Upvote 2

Nailed on we will be first team to have a goal chalked off as a result of this new rule and abi dhabi and the mancs will score one that should fall under same but will be 'missed'

Ours will be really stupid like ball was not even thrown to us by ballboy but that it was not taken off a cone but 6 inches off it and as it was not same ball as what went out it can't count as rules state ball must be taken from cone....

Cue Dermot Gallagher on sky - "the ball was just off the cone".....

When questioned later about the mancs one "the ref was unsighted and var can't pick it up, you have to go with on field decision"

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, an tha said:

Nailed on we will be first team to have a goal chalked off as a result of this new rule and abi dhabi and the mancs will score one that should fall under same but will be 'missed'

Ours will be really stupid like ball was not even thrown to us by ballboy but that it was not taken off a cone but 6 inches off it and as it was not same ball as what went out it can't count as rules state ball must be taken from cone....

When questioned later about the mancs one "the ref was unsighted and var can't pick it up, you have to go with on field decision"

Hahaha, like me, you must watch too much ref watch. Did you see it today? I couldn't quite believe it. Gallagher slaughtered the ref for the Burnley incident. Ste Warnock was absolutely spot on though, he just said something like "so why didn't the VAR just help him out, it was clearly not a penalty and obviously wrong? It's ok to be wrong, we're all human. Then today we might be all standing here commending the VAR and the whole group for working well as a team and getting the right decision.". 

24 minutes ago, an tha said:

Then it'll quietly get scrapped at the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Hahaha, like me, you must watch too much ref watch. Did you see it today? I couldn't quite believe it. Gallagher slaughtered the ref for the Burnley incident. Ste Warnock was absolutely spot on though, he just said something like "so why didn't the VAR just help him out, it was clearly not a penalty and obviously wrong? Then today we might be all standing here commending the VAR and the whole group for working well as a team and getting the right decision.". 

Ha.

I try not to watch it as it narks me, but i always cave in - evwn when the PGMOL mob are wrong Gallagher somehow manages to make them and himself right.

Warnock and Smith are pretty good on it - the presenter an absolute weapon though.

6 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Then it'll quietly get scrapped at the end of the season.

Without doubt.

Seriously though i hope we as a club are all over this - i'd be making sure the ballboys are all over it - i'd have one for each fucking cone and drill them to make sure there is a ball on their cone at all times and to make sure they never throw, roll, head, chest, punch etc etc or kick a ball to a player.

Might sound mad but these PGMOL pricks will be all over it - look at Coote yesterday....and they'll be dying to do us via it.

5 minutes ago, an tha said:

Ha.

I try not to watch it as it narks me, but i always cave in - evwn when the PGMOL mob are wrong Gallagher somehow manages to make them and himself right.

Warnock and Smith are pretty good on it - the presenter an absolute weapon though.

I don't mind the presenter. I think he just sees Gallagher as the apologists he is and just tries to expose him by taking the piss. 

15 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't mind the presenter. I think he just sees Gallagher as the apologists he is and just tries to expose him by taking the piss. 

Have to agree to disagree on that one.

13 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Hahaha, like me, you must watch too much ref watch. Did you see it today? I couldn't quite believe it. Gallagher slaughtered the ref for the Burnley incident. Ste Warnock was absolutely spot on though, he just said something like "so why didn't the VAR just help him out, it was clearly not a penalty and obviously wrong? It's ok to be wrong, we're all human. Then today we might be all standing here commending the VAR and the whole group for working well as a team and getting the right decision.". 

Warnock is often a voice of sanity and common sense on there whilst Dopey Dermot disappears up his own arse with his slippery semantics, trying to defend the indefensible. 

20 hours ago, an tha said:

When did they decide this was suddenly a thing then?

To be fair, they've fixed all the big problems with football so only right they get these little things tidies up now. Good lads. Credit to them.

Nothing to see here....

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/bad-luck-for-jurgen-klopp-as-anthony-taylor-is-named-referee-for-manchester-united-v-liverpool-at-old-trafford/a943784108.html

Bad luck for Jurgen Klopp as Anthony Taylor is named referee for Manchester United v Liverpool at Old Trafford

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp

Harry Latham-Coyle
© UK Independent

Anthony Taylor will take charge of Manchester United vs Liverpool as the two rivals meet in a vital Premier League fixture, but Anfield fans won’t be happy. 

The veteran referee has been appointed to the match at Old Trafford which shapes as a crucial encounter in both the race for the title and a top four finish. 

However, Jurgen Klopp has 82 defeats in his Liverpool career, 40 losses have come when the referee was Taylor. 

‘It’s a f***ing disgrace’ – Jose Mourinho confronts referee in car park after Europa League final defeat

Klopp directed his ire towards the official during the loss to Arsenal at the Emirates this season and Taylor sent him off during Liverpool’s 1-0 win at the Etihad last season.

Liverpool are top of the Premier League table after their win over Brighton, with fellow title chasers Manchester City and Arsenal picking up only a point in an Etihad Stadium stalemate.

Manchester United, meanwhile, suffered a set-back in their pursuit of a Champions League place with a draw at Brentford, and face Chelsea in a potentially tricky Thursday night fixture before returning to the comforts of home.

The reverse fixture between Liverpool and their long-time foes ended 0-0 at Anfield earlier in the season, though the pair shared a rather more eventful seven-goal thriller in the FA Cup at Old Trafford last month.

Both meetings have featured a sending off, meaning Taylor may well have a crucial role to play.

Born in Wythenshawe, the 45-year-old official has been a Premier League panel referee since 2010.

Last year, he came under fire directly from ex-Roma manager Jose Mourinho. 

The former Chelsea, Manchester United and Spurs boss confronted and swore at the English official in the car park after their defeat to Sevilla in the Europa League final.