You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

My point is no word or joke should be banned.  If you try and allow it for some and not others it’d be a nightmare. How black do you have to be to say it?   

When those Mancs wrote "96 was not enough" on a bridge over the M62 it was just bantz.

Lighten up, snowflakes!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Imagine drafting the law that says ‘you can only joke about your own race or religion, you can say the n word if you are black, but it’s illegal otherwise. 

55 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Reducing online harms bill. 

It wasn't in the White Paper.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/online-harms-white-paper/online-harms-white-paper#executive-summary 

Where are you getting that from?

49 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

If you put black or gay it wouldn’t work because black and gay people arent viewed at all like gypsies.   I may be wrong but there hasn’t been a black or gay thread on here slagging them off over several years.  Search ‘pikey’ and see what you get on this site. 

I gave examples of audiences where other groups would work - the point I was trying to make was that a KKK rally would react in a similar way to Carr's audience if you substitute "gypsy" for "black". The joke relies on prejudice more than it does on shock value. Had Carr subsequently asked his audience "Why do you think I can make that joke about gypsies rather than another persecuted group?", I don't think there would be a problem.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, mars said:

Had Carr subsequently asked his audience "Why do you think I can make that joke about gypsies rather than another persecuted group?", I don't think there would be a problem.

As far as I can tell, Rico's arguing that that was the point of the joke, even though (as far as I can tell from the people who have seen the show) Carr said absolutely nothing of the sort.

I'd be impressed if he had challenged his audience that way, but I doubt he did. It's not his style. He's just a joke-teller, who plays it for shock-laughs and got this one badly wrong.

15 minutes ago, mars said:

I gave examples of audiences where other groups would work - the point I was trying to make was that a KKK rally would react in a similar way to Carr's audience if you substitute "gypsy" for "black". The joke relies on prejudice more than it does on shock value. Had Carr subsequently asked his audience "Why do you think I can make that joke about gypsies rather than another persecuted group?", I don't think there would be a problem.

So he has to hand hold everyone through it? One thing people love about comedy is having it explained to them I real time.  Bet Netflix would have another special on that.  

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Just looking for some consistency, kid. 

In that case point me to the bit where I said that people wouldn’t be offended.  Some jokes will offend, doesn’t mean they should be banned.  It’s not that fucking hard to grasp. Or I didn’t think so.  

Celtic fan on his death bed, all his family are around him to pay their respects. 

"Dad before you pass, I'm going to call the Priest to help us say goodbye"

"No Son, call a Minister"

"What Dad? But you're a Catholic?"

"I want to convert"

"Why would you want to convert Dad?"

"Because see when I die, it'll be one less Proddie bastard" 

Thoughts? (I'm not trying to kick A Red off here, that joke gets told the other way around as well) 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Celtic fan on his death bed, all his family are around him to pay their respects. 

"I want to convert"

Thoughts? (I'm not trying to kick A Red off here, that joke gets told the other way around as well) 

It's close, but I'd call that a joke about bigotry rather than a bigoted joke.

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

"I want to convert"

That reminds me of this joke :

2 Rabbis, Levi and Erez are waking past a Catholic Church. 
There’s a sign outside that says “convert to Catholicism today and we will give you a £1000.

Levi says to Erez, “you go in, pretend to convert and we’ll split the cash”

30 minutes later, Erez comes out the church

Levi says “did you get the cash ?”

Erez responds “oh my god, the priest was right, you people are just obsessed with money” 

12 minutes ago, SasaS said:

What do you all think the consequences would / should be?

I think that will be the end of his  corporate after dinner gigs, I can’t see many Hr departments sanctioning booking him. Expensive joke.

He’ll probably also attract a few Far right  nutters to a few gigs now thinking he’s the new Bernard Manning.