You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Cabinet Thread

Bjornebye

The NHS is underfunded as it’s lumbered with PPI debt which it pays for out of its budget, services which were formally in house which are now private and cost a premium such as screening, paying agency staff a premium instead of giving full time contracts and secure conditions, by having select government approved contractors to do work at a premium, by having budgets to see to pay for pay rises and not create new money for these.

All of these are political choices which means it haemorrhages money before it is even gets its budget and that’s not to mention the disastrous ‘split’ between NHS local and national.

The NHS should be run apolitically and the choices that have been made for it are the reason it’s perennially crippled.

12 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

My dad had a massive stroke in 2004 and needed pretty much around the clock care until his death earlier this year. He never had a pot to piss in. Despite the complete donkeys arse the NHS made of his initial treatment  the quality of his care after the event was top notch and never skipped a beat in 17 years. I’m a massive believer in speaking as you find.  Be careful what you wish for.

I'm sorry about your Dad mate.

I think some care homes do a great job of looking after those in their care, but there are some which leave a lot to be desired.

For example, my MiL had Alzheimer's for a long time and my Mrs cared for her. 

When she got so bad and needed round the clock care, there were two local  homes with vacancies and the one we opted for was a more modern building with no stairs which had been a problem.

The care home staff to start off with were fantastic, very attentive and nothing was too much trouble, but that was until the manager was replaced, then it all started to change.

The staffing levels were reduced, the remaining staff did their best but were run off their feet and the place inside a few months was unrecognisable. Dirty, smelly, not a pleasant place to visit, and what's more, the new manager was going through my MiL's post, obviously looking for unreported assets or savings which we confronted him about and reported to head office.

She was also assaulted by another resident on more than one occasion and suffered several falls, all happening after the cuts in staff.

My MiL died not long after due to a massive bleed on the brain after another fall. She was 90 and very frail, the polar opposite of what she once was.

Some of the staff who had known her since she was first admitted attended her funeral, and they were saying how unhappy they were with the way the place was going with one saying she was thinking of leaving after years of service.

The last we heard, the manager had been moved on, whether he was sacked or not I don't know, but he bloody well should have been.

My Mrs was in a really impossible position regarding her Mum. She doted on her and felt she'd betrayed her and let her down by putting her in there.

Care homes that are funded and used properly can be fantastic places, you know your loved ones are cared for, treated with dignity and respect and you know they won't be lonely.

It's a  source of national shame that they aren't and successive Governments should be taking a long, hard look at themselves that this is the case.

• Upvote 1

On 26/12/2021 at 12:09, Harry's Lad said:

The last we heard, the manager had been moved on, whether he was sacked or not I don't know, but he bloody well should have been.

From what you've said in the rest of your post mate the fucker should be doing time.

My mum has dementia, and she is getting to the point now we're myself and my sister are having to consider residential care. My dad is still alive and has his mental faculties, but physically he can't care for her. He can look after himself just about, but she's too much for him.

We've done a little bit of research in to care homes in the local area. At the moment there are no vacancies due to the current situation with COVID. What has stunned us though is the costs. As she'll need nursing as well as residential care one quote we got was just under £1,250 a week! Not far off £65k a year!

I was stunned, we can't afford that, my parents don't have assets to cover that. I know it's means tested and we'd get help, but fuck me!

It's an absolute money making racket, and hearing stories like yours just makes it worse. To pay all that money so your loved one is cared for, only to have some obsessive little bean counter come along and make things worse, just horrendous.

1 minute ago, Creator Supreme said:

From what you've said in the rest of your post mate the fucker should be doing time.

My mum has dementia, and she is getting to the point now we're myself and my sister are having to consider residential care. My dad is still alive and has his mental faculties, but physically he can't care for her. He can look after himself just about, but she's too much for him.

We've done a little bit of research in to care homes in the local area. At the moment there are no vacancies due to the current situation with COVID. What has stunned us though is the costs. As she'll need nursing as well as residential care one quote we got was just under £1,250 a week! Not far off £65k a year!

I was stunned, we can't afford that, my parents don't have assets to cover that. I know it's means tested and we'd get help, but fuck me!

It's an absolute money making racket, and hearing stories like yours just makes it worse. To pay all that money so your loved one is cared for, only to have some obsessive little bean counter come along and make things worse, just horrendous.

if you don't mind me asking, has your mum had an assessment by Social Services?

If not, that's the first thing you have to do. I have to say that Social Services were marvellous in my MiL's case. Once they saw the need they set the ball rolling very quickly. 

If your parents have no assets the vast majority is paid by the council.

My MiL had no assets and only a very small Superannuation pension as well as her state one, not much for a lifetime of hard graft, but they take all that except for a small allowance for pocket money.

I can't remember the figures, but it did look for a while that the family might have to chip in to cover a shortfall which was about £100, but the care home manager at the time (the nice one) waived that.

You're right about it being a money making racket though.

I pulled the manager who had been rooting through my MiL's post and wiped the floor with him. He denied any ulterior motive, and we didn't have any actual proof it was him, but I had already spoken to a member off staff about it and she said nothing would surprise her the way he was.

I spoke to the area manager and threatened them with the police and she said she would sort it. He was gone very shortly after.

Look properly into your choice of care home, the best ones aren't always the most expensive. My sister in law worked in one for 18 years in Prescot, not too far from you, and the residents there always came first.

I'm sorry to hear about your mum mate, dementia is an awful thing and it can be a lot to deal with particularly in the latter stages. You'll probably feel terrible putting her in a home, but in my MiL's case it really was for the best and  a real relief that the pressure of looking after her was off.

Good luck.

3 hours ago, skend04 said:

Natalie at it again. Completely missing the lesson of Christmas. Putting the cunt in Conservatives.

Tories love trotting out the 'we should be looking after our own' spiel when it comes to immigration. Their definition of 'our own' is quite small though and doesn't extend to hungry school kids, the disabled and sick, the working poor, people on benefits, pensioners who have no money, northerners (despite their recent protestations to the contrary), public sector, NHS and teaching staff who ask for better wages and/or pensions. 

The list is pretty endless and potentially excludes everyone who, in the finest of Tory styles, isn't 'me'.

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

if you don't mind me asking, has your mum had an assessment by Social Services?

If not, that's the first thing you have to do. I have to say that Social Services were marvellous in my MiL's case. Once they saw the need they set the ball rolling very quickly. 

If your parents have no assets the vast majority is paid by the council.

My MiL had no assets and only a very small Superannuation pension as well as her state one, not much for a lifetime of hard graft, but they take all that except for a small allowance for pocket money.

I can't remember the figures, but it did look for a while that the family might have to chip in to cover a shortfall which was about £100, but the care home manager at the time (the nice one) waived that.

You're right about it being a money making racket though.

I pulled the manager who had been rooting through my MiL's post and wiped the floor with him. He denied any ulterior motive, and we didn't have any actual proof it was him, but I had already spoken to a member off staff about it and she said nothing would surprise her the way he was.

I spoke to the area manager and threatened them with the police and she said she would sort it. He was gone very shortly after.

Look properly into your choice of care home, the best ones aren't always the most expensive. My sister in law worked in one for 18 years in Prescot, not too far from you, and the residents there always came first.

I'm sorry to hear about your mum mate, dementia is an awful thing and it can be a lot to deal with particularly in the latter stages. You'll probably feel terrible putting her in a home, but in my MiL's case it really was for the best and  a real relief that the pressure of looking after her was off.

Good luck.

Thanks mate, she's only been assessed by the memory clinic so far, my sister is looking into the social services side of things (she looks after my mum and dad more than I do, she's the responsible one in the family), but I think she'll have to wait now until the new year period is over.

We've never dealt with anything like it before, and I know that if and when we put her into residential care we'll get pelters from her extended family. Not the done thing you see, asking for other people to look after our own.

I think they'd much prefer me to have a heart attack and my sister to have a breakdown than get residential care involved!

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

France needs to stop them even trying to get here , basically.

She doesn't give a shit about how 'vulnerable ' they are.

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

She means no dinghy’s on The Channel. Keep them in France.

I did wonder if she was suggesting they were coming here to give our oldies covid or something. And whatever her thoughts, I don't see what time of the year has to do with anything. Does she think it's ok if they're vulnerable when it's not Christmas. 

Considering how the Tories keep telling us how much better it is here than Europe, surely they can't really complain when refugees think the same. 

31 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Thanks mate, she's only been assessed by the memory clinic so far, my sister is looking into the social services side of things (she looks after my mum and dad more than I do, she's the responsible one in the family), but I think she'll have to wait now until the new year period is over.

We've never dealt with anything like it before, and I know that if and when we put her into residential care we'll get pelters from her extended family. Not the done thing you see, asking for other people to look after our own.

I think they'd much prefer me to have a heart attack and my sister to have a breakdown than get residential care involved!

Aye, we had a bit of that, it's a different thing altogether when they have to do their bit.

My poor Mrs  looked after her mum for years and got very little help as well as holding down her job, and I'm next to useless.

None of her family lived local except for her younger brother who didn't want to know, her other surviving brother couldn't help because of work so there was only her older sister who helped a bit every now and then when work allowed, but when she got cancer that stopped.

There comes a stage when even with the best will in the world it becomes too much and people with dementia need 24 hour care 7 days a week. If your extended family can't see or accept that, they're not really thinking about your mum's needs, or yours, your sisters or your poor dads.

Let them sling their pelters all they like.

15 hours ago, Anubis said:

The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line.

Smacks of creating a culture of fear where the civil service kowtow to ministers and there are fewer whistleblowers.

Always a cracking idea  to slash the amount of people who ensure the country functions.

8 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Tories love trotting out the 'we should be looking after our own' spiel when it comes to immigration. Their definition of 'our own' is quite small though and doesn't extend to hungry school kids, the disabled and sick, the working poor, people on benefits, pensioners who have no money, northerners (despite their recent protestations to the contrary), public sector, NHS and teaching staff who ask for better wages and/or pensions. 

The list is pretty endless and potentially excludes everyone who, in the finest of Tory styles, isn't 'me'.

Ite a simple trick that many people fall for.

The idea that if you stop foreign aid its automatically going into the hands of the needy here.

How have people not realised the only people these cunts care about is themselves?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Ite a simple trick that many people fall for.

The idea that if you stop foreign aid its automatically going into the hands of the needy here.

How have people not realised the only people these cunts care about is themselves?

I genuinely don't believe most people think that, it's sort of a nudge nudge wink wink to each other where they both silently agree to be twats. The people agreeing with her tweet will be saying 'yes yes, dangerous dinghies and homeless people in need etc', but they care about neither.

Said it before but because of Christianity, it's frowned upon to be openly cunty, you have to at least pretend to care about the sick and the poor and all the rest of it, but you simply don't.

I can't think of a better example of a spiritually bankrupt culture than the site of everyday Joe six-packs trying to stop an RNLI boat going out to sea to ply its trade. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I genuinely don't believe most people think that, it's sort of a nudge nudge wink wink to each other where they both silently agree to be twats. The people agreeing with her tweet will be saying 'yes yes, dangerous dinghies and homeless people in need etc', but they care about neither.

Said it before but because of Christianity, it's frowned upon to be openly cunty, you have to at least pretend to care about the sick and the poor and all the rest of it, but you simply don't.

I can't think of a better example of a spiritually bankrupt culture than the site of everyday Joe six-packs trying to stop an RNLI boat going out to sea to ply its trade. 

It just baffles me that for decades now they just spout their shite and people fall for it.

You see johnson stand up in parliament talking about levelling up,making peoples lives better and its clearly just lie after lie.

I'm not saying labour are the miracle cure,certainly not the current incarnation, but it's like people have been brainwashed into thinking there is no other way.

Said it in the johnson thread but if he came from a normal background, he would have even got near the job,never mind the catastrophic shit show of the last 2 years. 

And if there was an election tomorrow it would probally still be a close run thing.