You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harvey Elliott

suzy

9 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

If we did decide to move him on we’d be able to command a monstrous fee for him. But I think his homegrown status and versatility makes him a perfect squad player for now. 

Yes, I think we’d get good money for him and Diaz without missing too much from the team.

A new manager, who wants his own style, could see those two as the best way to generate £80-100m and get three first choice players in.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Yes, I think we’d get good money for him and Diaz without missing too much from the team.

A new manager, who wants his own style, could see those two as the best way to generate £80-100m and get three first choice players in.

It's harsh that. If the new coach is desperate to bring in new faces, well of course, let him sell who he thinks is right.  But "without missing too much from the team"?

Elliot has been an effective sub all season, which in itself is a skill. He's young and English, so has time to improve and if we're to replace him, it'll need to be with someone English.

Diaz has 10 goals and 5 assists this season (a goal contribution under ever 150 mins, not great but good), had a slow start with injury and then had his mum and dad kidnapped! He played right through aside from maybe 1 or 2 games and never hid. 

I'm seriously trying to think of players better in his position in the league. Candidates would be doku (5 goals and 6 assists, and very inconsistent), martinelli (7 goals, 3 assists, all speed, no brain), son (probably the best in the league and has 12 goals, 6 assists), mitoma (looked good last season, but with loss of form and injury, less so 3 goals 6 assists), sterling has played off that side quite a bit this year and when I've seen him his most effective position (8 goals and 8 assists) and then we're getting into the bottom half of the league where the best is probably Hudson-odoi at forest and he's shite.

Personally I think Son is better than him, but is on the fag end of his career.  Then there's the bunch I listed, which I can see why people could debate all of them, but I wouldn't swap one for Diaz. And his numbers are as good or better than them all. 

Be careful what you wish for. 

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Fuck off, you’re just trying to get us to sell important players to Newcastke for your own benefit…

20 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's harsh that. If the new coach is desperate to bring in new faces, well of course, let him sell who he thinks is right.  But "without missing too much from the team"?

Elliot has been an effective sub all season, which in itself is a skill. He's young and English, so has time to improve and if we're to replace him, it'll need to be with someone English.

Diaz has 10 goals and 5 assists this season (a goal contribution under ever 150 mins, not great but good), had a slow start with injury and then had his mum and dad kidnapped! He played right through aside from maybe 1 or 2 games and never hid. 

I'm seriously trying to think of players better in his position in the league. Candidates would be doku (5 goals and 6 assists, and very inconsistent), martinelli (7 goals, 3 assists, all speed, no brain), son (probably the best in the league and has 12 goals, 6 assists), mitoma (looked good last season, but with loss of form and injury, less so 3 goals 6 assists), sterling has played off that side quite a bit this year and when I've seen him his most effective position (8 goals and 8 assists) and then we're getting into the bottom half of the league where the best is probably Hudson-odoi at forest and he's shite.

Personally I think Son is better than him, but is on the fag end of his career.  Then there's the bunch I listed, which I can see why people could debate all of them, but I wouldn't swap one for Diaz. And his numbers are as good or better than them all. 

Be careful what you wish for. 

They’re both good players and they’re having good seasons. 

Neither are Steven Gerrard, though, and they’re not the first name on the sheet.

I think they’d individually command a £40-60m fee and that’s money that could go towards a player - or two - with a guaranteed position in our strongest XI. 

I’d be surprised if they were both still here in September.

46 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

They’re both good players and they’re having good seasons. 

Neither are Steven Gerrard, though, and they’re not the first name on the sheet.

I think they’d individually command a £40-60m fee and that’s money that could go towards a player - or two - with a guaranteed position in our strongest XI. 

I’d be surprised if they were both still here in September.

Well of course they're not Steven Gerrard. He's one of the best players to have ever played for the club. And if a 22 year old Gerrard was available this summer, you wouldn't be buying him for less than Diaz and Elliot combined. 

And we lose matip and thiago off the wage bill this summer, plus whatever amortisation savings we have. It should be more than enough to help bolster the squad. 

It all feels the type of madness of selling mascherano to buy merieles or Alonso to buy aquilani (or Gareth Barry). 

Who was the last player we had as under appreciated as Harvey? He's a fabulous footballer, he has a first touch as good as anyone in the league, he's played 100 games by 20 years of age for a club operating at the pinnacle of the sport. He's not fast but neither is Endo or MacAllister yet it seems to be held against him like some massive flaw people can't get past.

• Upvote 4

On 23/02/2024 at 00:08, Kevin D said:

Harvest Elliott.

Shrewd. I like it.

I'm definitely not keen on the suggestion of selling Elliot to raise funds for a "stronger first team option". Ignoring the homegrown element (which is important btw), he is already of good quality with potentially 10 more years at the highest level. A period in which he can improve his physique and experience. 

So you sell him off, what's the guarantee that you find another player who is happy to step in as a squad member, full of passionate support for Liverpool, with similar level of quality Elliot already brings at 20.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, No2 said:

Who was the last player we had as under appreciated as Harvey? He's a fabulous footballer, he has a first touch as good as anyone in the league, he's played 100 games by 20 years of age for a club operating at the pinnacle of the sport. He's not fast but neither is Endo or MacAllister yet it seems to be held against him like some massive flaw people can't get past.

Naby Keita?