You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle (H) Boxing Day

Bjornebye

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46671474

It would be a "miracle" if Newcastle were to avoid relegation from the Premier League, says Rafael Benitez.

The Magpies failed to win any of their opening 10 games of this campaign, but are currently 15th in the table, five points above the relegation zone.

They impressed on their return to the top-flight from the Championship last season, finishing in 10th place.

"We have to be realistic and understand we will be in the bottom half for the season," said Magpies boss Benitez.

"For me, it is almost clear and if we can be better than three teams, it will be another miracle.

"It was a miracle last year. People were thinking, 'Oh, you finished 10th...', but with a couple fewer wins, we could have been in the bottom five, so it was a miracle.

"If we do the same this year with teams spending even more money than last year, it will be a miracle."

At the beginning of December, Newcastle owner Mike Ashley said he was "hopeful" of selling the club "before the January transfer window".

As well as Tottenham and Watford, Newcastle were only one of three Premier League clubs to receive more transfer fees than they spent in the summer window.

Benitez added: "I know what is coming now and I know where we are. You can see the team - the team is trying a lot of things, but still it's not enough sometimes to get the points, and it will be like that.

"I'm trying to tell everyone, realise where we are, realise what we have to do and if we do well, fine, we can finish 10th or whatever.

"But if we think we have to beat these teams which have spent £100m, every one of them, during the summer, if we think we can beat them easily every game, no chance. We are wrong, 100%."

Benitez comes up against his former side and unbeaten Premier League leaders Liverpool on Wednesday, 26 December (kick-off 15:00 GMT).

41 minutes ago, LFC 5 Times said:

May be a game to rotate here, we will have around 75% of ball. Would go Allisson, Clyne, Lovren, VVD, Moreno,

Keita, Hendo, Shaqiri, Salah, Mane, Sturridge. 3-0 reds.

I think Clyne should be first choice honestly. Agree with giving Robbo a rest. I wouldn't drop Fabinho and I'd probably play Bobby over Sturridge. If you want to rest Bobby then play Keita in that role and see what happens around him. Hendo could take Keita's spot in the midfield with Fab playing and Gini fill Keita's spot in the middle.

Just win, please boys.

Next two after this are really tough and is important to go into them with our momentum intact and confidence high.

We are bound to have a disappointing result at some point but hopefully not right on top of back to back games against two of the best sides in the league.

On 12/24/2018 at 7:48 PM, Jennings said:

Nah...wouldn't go with Studge in goal!!

On 12/24/2018 at 8:14 PM, Aggers Elbow said:

Yeah, but it could work having a big bugger like Alisson as CF and Robbo and TAA pinging crosses in to him. As long as he didn't forget himself and punch it in.

Cunts!

On 12/24/2018 at 8:08 PM, Shooter in the Motor said:

I like the cut of your jib, hoping no-one notices we are playing with two right backs.

This is lame.

Klopp has done right thing here IMO by going strong - we need to strike while iron is hot and ensure we go into City game with them being the ones under pressure and chasing.....weakening team here today would risk it being other way around given next game for us is tough.