You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is it racist for a white person to paint their face black/brown for fancy dress?

Bjornebye

Is it racist?   

63 members have voted

1. 1. Is it racist?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, Aventus said:

If a black guy cracks a joke about me being a robbing scouse bastard, am I allowed to crack a joke about him being a robbing black bastard? 

No. You're allowed to crack him round the head for being a prick, rather than be as much of a prick as him.

• Upvote 1

If a black guy cracks a joke about me being a robbing scouse bastard, am I allowed to crack a joke about him being a robbing black bastard? 

Who’s gonna stop you? I just don’t see any point in it though.. What would you be trying to achieve here?

7 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Who’s gonna stop you? I just don’t see any point in it though.. What would you be trying to achieve here?

Just trying to figure out what's racism and what isn't, plus I live in Manchester so it's a very real possibility that I could find myself in this exact scenario. 

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Scousism isn't a crime. 

Three billboards outside Stig's house, Woolybackland

What's the difference? Prejudice only counts against them because its visable? Or is it like top trumps and whoevers ancestors had the hardest time automatically wins the argument? 

26 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

No. You're allowed to crack him round the head for being a prick, rather than be as much of a prick as him.

If I crack him round the head then I might be accused of a hate crime, which is also racist. 

• Upvote 1

Blacks kill and rob other blacks more than they do other races, I don't know how much impact it would have.

7 hours ago, Aventus said:

If I crack him round the head then I might be accused of a hate crime, which is also racist. 

No. If you attack someone because you think that you belong to one group and they belong to another, that's a hate crime.  If you attack someone for something they've done or said, it clearly isn’t. 

(This isn't difficult. )

8 minutes ago, rico1304 said:

And you take that one example of someone misapplying the term and use it to  (a) dismiss the whole concept without further thought; and (b) try to make some point - I'm still not sure what - about Scottish Muslims.

8 hours ago, Aventus said:

Just trying to figure out what's racism and what isn't, plus I live in Manchester so it's a very real possibility that I could find myself in this exact scenario. 

What's the difference? Prejudice only counts against them because its visable? Or is it like top trumps and whoevers ancestors had the hardest time automatically wins the argument? 

If a Manc called you “a robbing scouse bastard” and the first thing that you could think of as a comeback is the colour of his skin, then I’m afraid it does say a bit about you. I mean I’ve been to a few games now involving us and either Manc team, and as you’d expect, not all the chants I’ve heard have have been friendly, but thankfully I’ve never witnessed it, stoop that low. Perhaps because there are many people of colour on both sides. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

If a Manc called you “a robbing scouse bastard” and the first thing that you could think of as a comeback is the colour of his skin, then I’m afraid it does say a bit about you. I mean I’ve been to a few games now involving us and either Manc team, and as you’d expect, not all the chants I’ve heard have have been friendly, but thankfully I’ve never witnessed it, stoop that low. Perhaps because there are many people of colour on both sides. 

Actually that’s a lie, I’ve heard murderers.

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

No. If you attack someone because you think that you belong to one group and they belong to another, that's a hate crime.  If you attack someone for something they've done or said, it clearly isn’t. 

(This isn't difficult. )

It’s becoming pretty clear who threw that open bottle of Sunny Delight.

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2018 at 9:37 AM, AngryofTuebrook said:

The declaration of secession couldn't be clearer that they were fighting for the right to keep slaves. The Confederacy existed, first and last, for white people to enslave black people. 

Some PC fundamentalists might consider that a bit racist.

For the Southern Government at the time, sure, you're correct. The mass majority of Confederate soldiers did not own slaves, they couldn't afford to. Perhaps they wanted to but you might have wanted to as well had you been born into a society where the de facto aristocracy owned slaves. The "celebrities" of the time if you will.

My point was more that the Union only decided slavery was a problem when it no longer benefited them because they industrialized to the point where paying wages was cheaper than keeping slaves. I don't think that would've been different had the slaves been of a different race than black either. It was a war driven mostly by economics with a side of pride. Most wars are fought for the same reasons at the end of the day.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:32 AM, AngryofTuebrook said:

He's also the world's greatest feminist and his hair is naturally luxuriant.

Trump wasn't racist until he went off the spectrum with his celeb co-horts. Multiple pictures of him smiling alongside a smiling Jesse Jackson, Oprah Winfrey, etc. He's been around acting like a cunt forever and suddenly he won an election and he's the next Adolph.

He's a cunt, who's enjoying his extended time in the spotlight because enough people hated the other cunt and so picked him. That is really what this boils down to. I don't like him as a person or a president but I'm not going to label someone a racist when he hasn't earned the title.

Agreed about economics plus pride. It's just that the Confederacy had an economy based on slave labour - and no goddam Yankee was going to take that away from them!

The point I was making is that the Confederate flag symbolised pride in the *ahem* culture, tradions and way of life of the slave states (three quaint euphemisms for white supremacy) and it is recognised today, both by those who fly it and those who oppose it, as an unequivocal symbol of white supremacy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Trump wasn't racist until he went off the spectrum with his celeb co-horts. Multiple pictures of him smiling alongside a smiling Jesse Jackson, Oprah Winfrey, etc. He's been around acting like a cunt forever and suddenly he won an election and he's the next Adolph.

He's a cunt, who's enjoying his extended time in the spotlight because enough people hated the other cunt and so picked him. That is really what this boils down to. I don't like him as a person or a president but I'm not going to label someone a racist when he hasn't earned the title.

He used racism to get elected.

He's doing it again to try to win the mid-terms.

He's someone who keeps saying and doing racist things. That's enough to convince me he's racist  (notwithstanding the "some of my rich friends are black" argument).